Brewer Fanatic

Tom Gorzelanny

We have probably put a lot of players on revocable waivers just to see who makes it through. Those who are claimed will be pulled back and not be eligible for trade. Most other teams are probably doing the same.

Gorzelanny is the type player a team would put a claim in on, as he's cheap, effective and short-term. However, if he sneaks through, the Brewers could definitely dangle him out there once they know what other players made it through the waiver period. But, I don't see it as a bad thing to have three lefties, because all of them have shown the ability to get both lefties and righties out. None of them are a LOOGY.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

He seems to be 3rd on the lefty list for the Crew...last year of deal. Could we swap him to a contender for a similar right handed piece relief piece. Makes sense although a little unusual.

I was begging for this to happen before the deadline.

@WiscoSportsNut

no way do I trade him, he's been lights out since coming off the DL.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

He has...in 13 innings. I'm not confident he's going to be able to keep that up as he's lost a couple MPH on his fastball from last year(on all his pitches).

I wouldn't count on him doing that for the rest of the year. Meanwhile nearly every contender has been looking for left handed relievers. So while we have two of them, another team with an extra right handed reliever would be ideal.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

He has...in 13 innings. I'm not confident he's going to be able to keep that up as he's lost a couple MPH on his fastball from last year(on all his pitches).

I wouldn't count on him doing that for the rest of the year. Meanwhile nearly every contender has been looking for left handed relievers. So while we have two of them, another team with an extra right handed reliever would be ideal.

I remember when the "small sample police" used to be all over this site. Now I seem to see a lot of posters who feel that hot streaks will go on forever, making the player untouchable, while a cold streak means we should get rid of the bum while making a drastic move to replace him.

Gorzelanny is a capable MLB reliever, and that has value. We're after the trade deadline, so it is unlikely a MLB-player-for-MLB-player deal is done, and since we're not trading him for prospects I'm fine with the likely scenario that he pitches for the Brewers for the rest of the season. However, seeing as how teams always seem to be looking for lefty relievers, if we could use him in a trade that would significantly upgrade somewhere else (RH reliever, 1B) then we should be willing to make the deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I remember when the "small sample police" used to be all over this site. Now I seem to see a lot of posters who feel that hot streaks will go on forever, making the player untouchable, while a cold streak means we should get rid of the bum while making a drastic move to replace him.

Gorzelanny is a capable MLB reliever, and that has value. We're after the trade deadline, so it is unlikely a MLB-player-for-MLB-player deal is done, and since we're not trading him for prospects I'm fine with the likely scenario that he pitches for the Brewers for the rest of the season. However, seeing as how teams always seem to be looking for lefty relievers, if we could use him in a trade that would significantly upgrade somewhere else (RH reliever, 1B) then we should be willing to make the deal.

I agree...there seems to be far less importance placed upon sample sizes lately.

A MLB player for player trade is unlikely, and there certainly aren't many contenders with an extra right handed power arm that's passed through waivers, and even fewer who would be willing to give that player up.

But with so many players being put on waivers....who knows? I'm not actively looking to get rid of him, but he is our 3rd best lefty in the BP so it'd certainly be worth it for a RH'ed reliever.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived