Brewer Fanatic

NL Central Talk 2014

Bombers
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Just telling it like it is. Cubs should be considered contenders starting in 2015. Most "experts" say 2016 or 2017 for them, I'm just forewarning everyone.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/air-quotes.gif

Every time "experts" gets their own eye rolling quotations I want to do this.

Keep in mind you need more than just 5 starters to win over an entire season. The Brewers stayed relatively healthy this season and still needed 7 starters. They are going to get some pitching help via free agency but they need a lot more than just a couple starters. The major problem they will have is how to get quality backup options if a starter goes down. It seems to me the best depth options come from a farm system that has guys who are ready but blocked by the current starter. The Cubs might have to settle for fringe starters like Estrada or Cappuano types. That isn't a terrible thing but it costs a lot for the return and isn't as good as calling up a Fiers, Nelson or Wacha type player.

Well their pitching has held up after they traded their two best starters in the first half and they've run a number of guys out there. They picked up Jacob Turner for depth too. They can certainly afford a Lester and one other lesser name too. They also have chips with which to deal for pitching. It will be interesting to see what they do with Edwin Jackson who've they have tied up for two more years.

I'm not saying they are going to be favorites, but that there is a path for them to go from worst to first. It's not that big of a climb anymore.

The chips they have to trade means they lose some of the phenomenal offensive depth. That isn't even touching the idea that even great minor league players are not all going to be great year one. Nor do all of them pan out at all. The Cubs should be better but I still think they are a couple years away. Anything can happen but worst to first is a long way to go in this division. I am more worried about the usual suspects next year than I am the Cubs. 2016 might be a totally different story.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The Cubs have a ton of young talent and that cannot be debated. They probably will be very good in the next few years but some of the cant miss prospects will miss. I really dont see Baez becoming a star. He will hit a lot of home runs but he wont walk much and he will strike out a ton. After a quick start he is now batting under .200 and his OBP is .226. He has struck out almost have his at bats. 41 K's and just 4 BB's. However they dont need all of them to become a star

Baez isn't the best hitter in the bunch, I don't know even know if his power will translate the best. I think Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo will the Cubs' Braun & Fielder. Baez will be a good 5 or 6 hitter but he's not a middle of the order type bat.

Schwarber might be a guy they look to package to get an arm otherwise they could have some serious RH/LH power by alternating Soler, Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, and Baez in late 2015 going into 2016. Not that they would bat in that order, but Bryant has 43 HRs already this season, for comparison sake Braun only hit 22 in his only full MiLB season.

Not to mention they still have Almora and Russell and plethora of second tier guys whom I didn't mention above. They don't have a legit C coming, but if they get Bryant to hit and be a star to go with Rizzo then everyone else can be above average or average as a hitter and they will be just fine. Right now they also have the depth to cover a prospect who might completely flop, though they may trade some of that depth for pitching as I mentioned earlier. If they can land 1 impact pitcher for 2015 and another 2016 they will be legit contenders. Pierce Johnson and CJ Edwards aren't on the same level as Jameson Taillon or Gerritt Cole from the Pirates, they more like #3s, but it won't take much for the Cubs to become a very formidable team in short order.

Honestly, I've always been a Mike Olt fan as well, it's too bad for him that he went down and played winter ball taking that pitch to the head. His career has been in a downward spiral since but I have a hard time giving up on him, I guess I feel bad for him given how promising he was. I wouldn't mind seeing him come into the Brewer organization if the Cubs part ways with him to clear some space, it's not like we have a legit 3B prospect in the upper minors since I'm not sure Jason Rogers will cut it defensively, so I'd be willing to take a flier and see if he can turn it back around.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Cubs playing a day game with Reds now on WGN...lotta rookies to check out

LF Chris Coghlan (L)

2B Javier Baez ®

SS Starlin Castro ®

3B Luis Valbuena (L)

RF Jorge Soler ®

CF A. Alcantara (S)

1B Chris Valaika ®

C John Baker (L)

P Jake Arrieta ®

I wonder what's the average age of this squad ? As I'm typing Soler doubled off the wall and Alcantara hit bomb, just foul.

Playoff Picture

Natinals___76__57 -

Dodgers___76__59 -

Brewers___73__61 -

Giants____ 72__ 62 wc

St. Louis__ 71__ 62 wc

Atlanta___ 71__ 64 -1

Pittsburgh_ 70__ 64 -1.5 *

Miami____ 65__ 68 -6

Cincinnati_ 65__ 70 -7

* Pirates won 3 str. as Cards & Brewers lost 3 str.... Josh Harrison must be destroyed! But Mc Cutchen is clearly not 100%....Molina looked lost at the plate in his return last night. (0-3, K, HBP)..... BP is hittin' and grinnin' as usual for the Reds, renewing hope for a miracle finish. They play the Pirates again this afternoon on FS1. (Go Reds)

The Cubs, in just a matter of days have become the talk the NL. With Rizzo still sitting out they pummeled the Cards 7-2, Soler going deep twice to lead the young wrecking crew.. I shudder to think what the division will look like next year.

Today feels like an especially important day in the Central. After the games are through tonight, the Cards, Pirates, and Crew will all have played 135 times. A sweep either way in that double header could set the storyline for September.

Cubs up 5-1 right now, and the Cards had to go to the bullpen early. Though with reinforcements on the way, it probably doesn't matter much. Not to mention Lyons has been the only guy used so far. We'll see. You have to think either the Brewers or Cards will turn things around soon.

Today feels like an especially important day in the Central. After the games are through tonight, the Cards, Pirates, and Crew will all have played 135 times. A sweep either way in that double header could set the storyline for September.

Cubs up 5-1 right now, and the Cards had to go to the bullpen early. Though with reinforcements on the way, it probably doesn't matter much. Not to mention Lyons has been the only guy used so far. We'll see. You have to think either the Brewers or Cards will turn things around soon.

Yeah....but when? Something to watch for when you play the Cubs: The team batting approach has become very aggressive. A LOT of 1st pitch swinging. Attack, attack and more attack. One of the (idiot) Cardinal announcers suggested knocking down some of those hot shots to slow 'em down. He may be right.

The Reds played tough last night, holding the Pirates to 4 hits, but they pulled out another one. Josh Harrison was held to a single and BB and was CS, and not as many crazy plays at 3rd to kill Reds' rallies.

Edit: I should have not mentioned J.H.....he just gave the Bucs an early lead with a bomb. :(

The week ahead

Brewers @ Cubs (3), Cards at Brewers (4)

Pirates @ Cards (3)

Phillies @ Braves (3), Braves @ Marlins (3)

Rockies @ Giants (4), Giants @ Tigers (3)

Other series of note:

Nationals @ Dodgers (3)

This is the key series of the week in regard to the WC I believe. The Rocks will play them tough though, and the Giants know it. It's going to be a September to remember.

It appears that my prediction that Waino would sit out a couple of starts was wrong. Matheny ran him out there again to give up 4ER in 6 innings again, so he will pitch the finale in the Brewer series.

Wacha will get the start in the first game tomorrow. It's been said that his innings will be limited.

The more I think about it, I think the Brewers slide is Dead Simmons fault. Sure, when he first started posting in the IGTs, we all thought he was good luck. As it turns out, he may be a virus. Implanted months ago, activated 2 weeks ago. Can't prove it yet, but I'm not ruling it out.

The more I think about it, I think the Brewers slide is Dead Simmons fault. Sure, when he first started posting in the IGTs, we all thought he was good luck. As it turns out, he may be a virus. Implanted months ago, activated 2 weeks ago. Can't prove it yet, but I'm not ruling it out.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2009-06-08-sneaky.jpg

So I looked at the standings in the middle of the game. The Cards have taken over the Division lead this past week, While having a Negative Runs Scored differential!

And as it stands now. Is this historic in that Pittsburgh leads the Divisison with +8 run scored differential? That potentially(Real potential) the ENTIRE division will finish with a Negative Run Differential?

That right there makes this all the more horrifying! We had a major lead on the division and are Blowing it to Mediocre teams?

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/93184252/review-confirms-dp-cardinals-manager-mike-matheny-asks-for-interference

So apparently Matheny challenged the play at the plate last night because he thought that Hector Gomez interfered with the runner at 3rd.

"Their third baseman stood in front of our tagging runner and did jumping jacks," Matheny said after the game. "That's the first time I had ever seen that. I'm surprised the umpires didn't see that, but if they would have, it would have been some sort of interference."

Watch the replay. Matheny is so full of crap. Gomez was 10 feet from the runner and didn't move an inch. There is no way he honestly believes this. The words one would use to describe him aren't even allowable on BF.

The Phils are quietly moving up in the standings, poised to overtake the Reds and Miami. And the Giants, who were roughed up by the Rockies have re-surged, (8-2 last 10) and may send the .500 playing Dodgers back to the WC race.

The Nats, with their 7 game lead in the East appear to be the only team to have their division locked up. It's shaping up to be an absolute dogfight for the other 6 teams. Atlanta stands to benefit most from the schedule, next facing Miami, the Nats (who they traditionally own) and Texas.

Natinals__79__60

Dodgers__79__62

Cards____77__64

Giants___ 77_ 64 wc

Brewers__ 74_ 67 wc

Atlanta__ 73__ 68 1

Pirates__ 71__ 68 2

Cueto is pitching today thus the Brewers miss facing him. That is great news.
And he pitched a 3 hit gem for the win. Lynn matched him, but in the late innings Jon Jay made what would prove to be the game losing error in the 1-0 loss. Matheny refuses to move him permanently to a corner OF spot where he would be less of a detriment.

Being swept by a team they own has the Cardinals scrambling for a solution, but there is none. Masterson and Lackey are a resounding FAIL. Waino is stumbling. Wacha's not near 100% yet. Lynn and a surprising Shelby Miller are the only starters keeping the team afloat. (the pen is still good)

There's no reason for anybody to think they will play anything other than .500 ball the rest of the way. It's on the Pirates and Brewers to do better.

Archived