Brewer Fanatic

NL Central Talk 2014

Bombers

The Cubs had a pretty fair weekend, sweeping the cream of the AL East Orioles. A very loud spoiler alert. They're going to do some serious damage in September, and they have a foreseeable goal to shoot for; finishing 4th.

For whatever reason, the Cubs do fine out of the division, damn near .500, but are awful IN it. (19-32)

Overall post season picture

Nats_____ 75_ 54_ .581

Dodgers__ 74_ 58_ .561

Brewers__ 72_ 58_ .554

Cardinals__ 70_ 59_ .543_wc

Giants____ 68_ 61_ .527_wc

Atlanta____ 68_ 63_ .519_ 1

Pirates____ 67_ 63_ .515_ 1½

Except for the Reds dropping out, Nats and Braves switching places and LA and SF doing the same, things have not changed much in the last 4 months. I don't see any team being mathematically eliminated 'till the last week of the season.

The most interesting race may turn out to be for the home field advantage. I don't see the Dodgers staying mentally tough enough to keep giving 100% with the huge lead they enjoy over SF.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The week ahead:

Brewers start a 9 game road trip with 3 @ SD. Then 3 @ SF.

Cardinals play @ Pirates for 3, Then Cubs @ Cards for 3

Reds @ Pirates for 3

Other series of note (sticking with Simmons playoff contending teams )

Braves @ Mets, Marlins @ Braves

Rockies @ Giants

Dodgers @ Dbacks, Dodgers @ Padres

Nats @ Phillies, Nats @ Mariners

Lots of talent getting out of that little country lately. Did Castro kick the bucket and I missed hearing about it?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4aCQrnq4EZbpQetlYGdIIEx0vKbG5wq1V_yG9oLEhz-PD5XFS

Soler shot through the ranks this year. Probably too quickly. But it's a good idea for him to see some big league pitching for a month. He was pulled from his game last night after hitting one out which usually means he'll get the start tonight in Cincy, facing Cueto. Jumping right into the fire!

Soler hasn't had the AB's in the minors but he's probably more advanced as a hitter than Baez. He nearly walks as much as he strikes out.

Cubs are starting to look like a team that will have to be taken seriously in 2015. They'll need another pitcher or two, but if they can get Lester, they have the makings of a decent rotation and the vets around their core of kids are decent. I'm sure they'll try to tamp down expectations so there won't be so much pressure but their fan base has been waiting patiently up until now and if they start off well next year, there will be no containing the exuberance.

I'm sure they'll try to tamp down expectations so there won't be so much pressure but their fan base has been waiting patiently up until now and if they start off well next year, there will be no containing the exuberance.

Oh, for sure. Their attendance has been down this year but that should change drastically next. Where will they finish? Third? Better?

If they DO manage to pass the Reds this year the word will be out and expectations go through the roof!

Here is how the Cubs remaining scheduling looks. If they play above .500 ball the rest of the way, it would be hard to not be excited if you were a Cubs fan.

Reds - 6

Brewers - 6

Cardinals - 7

Pirates - 6

Non central games

Dodgers - 4

Blue Jays - 3

It is probablya foregone conclusion that Theo is going to go really hard after a couple starters this offseason. If they could add Lester and maybe one more to Arrieta, Hendricks, and Wada that is pretty solid. There likely will be growing pains with so many young players so maybe they won't compete next year but they should be crazy entertaining. They haven't even added perhaps their best minor leaguer yet in Bryant.

I think Castro is on bereavement list and thus Soler was called up as a replacement for the few days he's gone. Probably as a little look see besides the Sept Callups.
No, Castro got back yesterday. Watching MLB right now and they're talking about how much trouble they are going to be for the Brewers, Cards and Pirates the rest of the way. But I see they play them about an equal amount of games, so they shouldn't be that much of a factor in the race.

To tell the truth, I wouldn't mind losing 2-1 to them in the next series. It's the sweep that scares me!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Cubs young hitters will be exciting next year, but they have no pitching. Even if they add a top flight guy like Lester, they are pretty bare of any good arms, both at the big league and minor league levels.

I expect the team to add at least one good pitcher - maybe even two - to go with Arrieta. But that won't be enough to contend. Plus, some of the young bats will need to time to adjust. Bryant, Baez, Solar, Russell, Almora, Schwarber - the process has just begun and will continue into 2015. By 2016, they will be primed to play along with Rizzo and Castro.

After 2016, the club can add another big arm, maybe develop a reliever or two (and sign one or two). Then you're talking something to get excited about.

I'm glad we didn't trade Thornburg for Davis.

Well we can just thank Matheny for not inserting a lefty. Because Ike has an awesome line vs lefties:

32 PA / .100 / .156 / .100 / .256 / 0 HR / 0 RBI / 11 K

I have no issue with us not trading Thornburg for Ike. I just don't get the love fest for Ike. He just isn't much better than Reynolds.

The Cubs young hitters will be exciting next year, but they have no pitching. Even if they add a top flight guy like Lester, they are pretty bare of any good arms, both at the big league and minor league levels.

I expect the team to add at least one good pitcher - maybe even two - to go with Arrieta. But that won't be enough to contend. Plus, some of the young bats will need to time to adjust. Bryant, Baez, Solar, Russell, Almora, Schwarber - the process has just begun and will continue into 2015. By 2016, they will be primed to play along with Rizzo and Castro.

After 2016, the club can add another big arm, maybe develop a reliever or two (and sign one or two). Then you're talking something to get excited about.

Ah you haven't been watching Kyle Hendricks apparently and his 1.78 ERA in 8 major league starts. Yes he's a finesse guy and not a power arm but he knows how to pitch and has great command. They need to build around Arrieta and Hendricks and likely Lester, but that's not a bad foundation. Wada's 33 years old but he's been pretty impressive as well. Wood's had somewhat of down year but he's fine as a back end starter.

"Maybe develop a reliever or two"?? Again have you seen the Cubs this year? They've developed a nice pen THIS year. Strop (2.31), Schlitter (3.47) and Grimm (4.06) have all had their moments and Hector Rondon has been more than adequate as a closer. Then there's Neil Ramirez. All he's done in 39 games is post an ERA of 1.08 with 43 K's in 33 innings. All those guys are under control for next year.

This team scares me and not just for 2016. Bryant is capable of duplicating numbers that Braun put up as a rookie in 2007. They are purposely holding him back because he's a Boras client. He was major league ready the day he was signed. He'll make everyone in that lineup better come June 1st next year.

This year's Cubs team is only 3.5 games behind the Reds right now and while they are 13.5 behind the Brewers, that's nothing compared to the 31 games back they finished last year, and remember the Brewers finished 23 games behind the Cards last year.

Keep in mind you need more than just 5 starters to win over an entire season. The Brewers stayed relatively healthy this season and still needed 7 starters. They are going to get some pitching help via free agency but they need a lot more than just a couple starters. The major problem they will have is how to get quality backup options if a starter goes down. It seems to me the best depth options come from a farm system that has guys who are ready but blocked by the current starter. The Cubs might have to settle for fringe starters like Estrada or Cappuano types. That isn't a terrible thing but it costs a lot for the return and isn't as good as calling up a Fiers, Nelson or Wacha type player.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Keep in mind you need more than just 5 starters to win over an entire season. The Brewers stayed relatively healthy this season and still needed 7 starters. They are going to get some pitching help via free agency but they need a lot more than just a couple starters. The major problem they will have is how to get quality backup options if a starter goes down. It seems to me the best depth options come from a farm system that has guys who are ready but blocked by the current starter. The Cubs might have to settle for fringe starters like Estrada or Cappuano types. That isn't a terrible thing but it costs a lot for the return and isn't as good as calling up a Fiers, Nelson or Wacha type player.

Well their pitching has held up after they traded their two best starters in the first half and they've run a number of guys out there. They picked up Jacob Turner for depth too. They can certainly afford a Lester and one other lesser name too. They also have chips with which to deal for pitching. It will be interesting to see what they do with Edwin Jackson who've they have tied up for two more years.

I'm not saying they are going to be favorites, but that there is a path for them to go from worst to first. It's not that big of a climb anymore.

Realized it's been 4 or 5 years since "next year's our year" was a regular expression from Cubs fans. Now Brewers fans are blowing smoke up everyone's butts.

Also, pirates win.

Just telling it like it is. Cubs should be considered contenders starting in 2015. Most "experts" say 2016 or 2017 for them, I'm just forewarning everyone. I despise the Cubs as I'm surrounded by Cub fans most of whom are still non believers. Those fans aren't even watching them instead they've invested their hope in the Bears who will disappoint them. But I see enough of the Cubs to be convinced they will arrive sooner rather than later. They could have a couple of their phenoms just be average and still be competitive.

Of more immediate import, Cards lose with ace Wainwright on the hill.

Archived