Brewer Fanatic

NL Central Talk 2014

Bombers

The Pirates finally placed Mc Cutchen on the 15 day DL. Josh Harrison has taken up the slack and has now hit safely in 12 consecutive games while his batting average is now up to .314 for the year, his highest since June 18.

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/MLB-rumors-injuries-news-updates-Andrew-McCutchen-081014.jpg

Molina's cast came off but is still looking at another month. It's thought that Brandon Phillips will return from the identical injury in 2 to 3 weeks.

LA's SS HRam is on the DL with an oblique.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As posted in tonight's IGT:

Everyone now - let's laugh at Adams and the Cards .. #Classies. That isn't how you play the game.

I was following on the radio and didn't understand exactly what he did. I guess our announcer tried to downplay it. Pretty bush, and how could anyone get away with a "sell" so obvious with all the cameras and replays used now? :embarrassed

Just to liven up the bunch here ... some posts I pulled off of a Cardinals fan site from their in game thread the other day with their "Ace" on the mound:

Before the game:

1. We should be able to tag Cosart tonight. I'm chalking this one up as a W with Waino on the mound.

2. We're shuffling. Time for a W(ainwright)

Last fast forward to in game comments :)

1. At this point it's not so much painful as slightly comical, so there's that at least.

2. Adams' swing is loopy and he can't hit fastballs.

3. I can't find this level of suck funny. A lot more suckage I might deem chortle worthy. But just floundering a few games over 500 is just maddening.

4. Again making a 4 or 5 starter look like Cy Young

5. Well there's always next year

6. I [expletive] hate baseball sometimes.

7. This is the difficult time, which I haven't faced as a Cards fan in a few years, in which I have to adjust my perennial expectations of playoff glory to face the reality that we're not likely a playoff team. I don't like it, I don't want to, but it's time to own up to it.

8. I expected us to make a run by now. It's mid-August now, so yeah. Not looking good.

9. Loosers

10. Gross. The Pierzynski Year, as this will forever be known, isn't going to be remembered fondly. Remember those two great wins last week? Seems like decades ago. Since, our only two deadline acquisitions--both pitchers--have been hammered and we've been stymied by guys whose own mothers have never heard of them.

"Loosers"

I like that one!

;)

I liked that one too :)

Bombers, you picked some of tamer quotes!

I didn't want to overreach on our Fan Forum Eitquette. Clearly that ban doesn't exist on the Cardinals forum though :)

The Reds took another hit: Homer Bailey to the 15 day. Already a long shot, that has to be the nail in their 2014 coffin.

I agree. The reds just don't seem to have the horses to squeak into the playoffs. It looks like the Braves are doing their best to not make the playoffs either. They play the A's this weekend and their future isn't looking bright either. Within 2 weeks, this really could boil down to a 6 team race for 5 spots. (LA, WAS, MIL, STL, PIT, SF)

The Reds took another hit: Homer Bailey to the 15 day. Already a long shot, that has to be the nail in their 2014 coffin.

The Central has been hammered by injuries, and the Reds probably lead that list. That's really opened the door for the Brewers, and I hope they can continue to capitalize on it.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Central has been hammered by injuries, and the Reds probably lead that list. That's really opened the door for the Brewers, and I hope they can continue to capitalize on it.

Barring the unforeseen, It certainly looks like the Brewers/Pirates will end up 1-2 in the Central, with the Giants and Cards battling for the final WC spot. SF has the tougher schedule, St. Louis the easiest of all Central contenders.

Oscar Tavares was benched in favor of veteran Shane Robinson after OT's unforgivable base running 2 games back. With 2 outs he was on 1B when a ball was hit into the RF corner. He hesitated to make sure it wasn't caught (2 outs, mind you) and pulled up at 3B on a hit that should have been a run scoring triple.

Unnamed teammates have been grumbling to local writers on the kid's "work ethic", and this latest episode was poorly timed in view of the current situation the Cardinals are in, fighting to stay in the WC picture.

Light hitting Robinson's speed and hustle in the outfield and on the basepaths has been eye popping in the last two games, both close wins vs. San Diego who are also fighting for their post-season lives.

Personally, I'd like to see OT gone. All he really seems to care about is hitting, and he's not raising any eyebrows there either.

Personally, I'd like to see OT gone. All he really seems to care about is hitting, and he's not raising any eyebrows there either.

I'm guessing most teams around the league would happily take him off the Cards' hands. Especially if they'll be selling out of frustration with him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm guessing most teams around the league would happily take him off the Cards' hands. Especially if they'll be selling out of frustration with him.

No doubt true. But the commitment the organization made in moving Craig to make room for the kid compels them to give him every chance of proving himself.

He'll no doubt be returned to the lineup tonight, and Brother, he will be under the microscope.

I'll happily trade Taylor Jungmann for Oscar Taveras if the Cards are growing impatient with him.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'll happily trade Taylor Jungmann for Oscar Taveras if the Cards are growing impatient with him.
Tonight he hit one off the CF wall JUST past the glove for a key hit. His next time up he poked a ball and stood there at the plate and didn't run hard until he saw that the ball would drop fair.

He turned a double into a single. Had the Cards won he could have escaped critism.... but they didn't.

Tonight he hit one off the CF wall JUST past the glove for a key hit. His next time up he poked a ball and stood there at the plate and didn't run hard until he saw that the ball would drop fair.

He turned a double into a single. Had the Cards won he could have escaped critism.... but they didn't.

OK. *sigh* We'll take him off your hands.

Best I can do is $20.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wow, so Aroldis Chapman came in with a 9-5 lead over the Rockies and promptly walked FOUR batters in a row before he was pulled. Hoover came in, got two outs, but gave up a 3-run homer to Drew Stubbs for a walkoff victory. So that'll drop the Reds down a bit more. And that was only the first game of a doubleheader. Ouch.

Edit: Second game of the DH did not go much better for the Reds. They had a 5-2 lead going into the bottom of the 7th, but gave up three runs in that inning to tie it, and five more in the 8th to put it out of reach. Reds lose 10-5.

Edit: On another NL Central note, both Washington and Pittsburgh blew saves. Rafael Soriano gave up three in the top of the ninth to give Pitt the lead, then Melancon gave up one in the bottom to put the game into extras. Axford pitched a fairly clean 8th (one walk, turned into a DP) and would have gotten the win had it not been for the blown save. The Nats end up winning in the bottom of the 11th on a sac fly.

Only downside in the Central was St. Louis winning. The Padres scored two in the ninth, but weren't able to tie/go ahead with runners at second and third and two outs. Cards barely hang on 7-6.

Archived