Brewer Fanatic

NL Central Talk 2014

Bombers

I figured a central post for the final two months might be a good idea so we can chat about happenings with the other teams in the race.

First item I will toss out there is McCutchen is headed to 15 day DL.

@ESPNStatsInfo: Pirates OF Andrew McCutchen likely headed to disabled list.

Since June 1, he leads NL in batting average, slugging percentage, RBIs

Upcoming series

Boston at St. Louis

St. Louis at Baltimore

Go AL East!

Miami at Pittsburgh

Padres at Pittsburgh

Indians are playing the Reds in an all Ohio battle

Miami at Cincinnati

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pirates have also demoted Pedro Alvarez to the bench, Harrison is starting at 3B every day.

Neil Walker is having back spasms

Polanco, the savior, is a rookie batting like a manchild

Cole is still on the DL in Arizona now

Marte is, I think? coming back from the DL today

oh, and their bullpen is a hot mess

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I love the pirates, they take 2nd fiddle to the brewers obviously, but growing up in western PA they were my NL team since the brewers were in the AL. going to the game tonight against Miami, it'll be interesting to see what kind of a team they have on the field. they signed Nix a couple days ago to be a UTIL IF guy since Harrison was getting the everyday job at 3B.

how the OF will be configured will be interesting, too... but both Marte and Polanco are CFer's playing corner OF spots... losing McCutchen for a couple weeks will have a huge impact not only in the lineup but on the field.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Tell me Torts; what's the deal with 'Cutch? Was it the HBP in the D'Backs game or is it something else?

On the Reds: have to give them credit the way they're hanging in there, and with the tough schedule facing the Brewers and Cards it looks like they will be it for a while. I hear that BP's recovery is ahead of schedule.

from my understanding, the HBP was part of it, it probably caused tightness in his core which the next day caused a strained oblique from taking a hack at a pitch. the HBP itself didnt cause the injury, but I dont doubt it aided it happening, if that makes sense

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

from my understanding, the HBP was part of it, it probably caused tightness in his core which the next day caused a strained oblique from taking a hack at a pitch. the HBP itself didnt cause the injury, but I dont doubt it aided it happening, if that makes sense
Sounds about right.

Good update Torts! you have the pulse on the Pirates being the local Pittsburgh poster ... Sounds like the Pirates are a hot mess
Not quite a hot mess, but as Torts alluded to, Clint Hurdle has lost patience with 3B Pedro Alvarez. Though his offense is down this season, Alvarez is being benched for defensive reasons. He's committed a league-high 24 errors, most attributable to his wild throws.

Alvrarez made three errant throws Saturday night in Arizona before being replaced by Hurdle in the sixth inning. For now, Josh Harrison will take over at 3B, and they signed Jayson Nix to help out on days when Harrison plays in the outfield. There's some talk about moving Alvarez to first base. The Pirates have received an MLB-worst 39 RBIs from the 1B position this season. Things are tough all over in the Central, from top to bottom.

There's been some talk that there's a problem of some sort brewing between Oscar Tavares and his teammates in St. Louis. I don't know what's up with that yet.

Per GM Neal Huntington: @TheCUTCH22 has been diagnosed with an avulsion fracture involving the costochondral cartilage of the left 11th rib.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

UGH dunlap is... probably the worst pittsburgh media person in pittsburgh. he's nothing but a troll.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

On another level, could anyone have foreseen Pat Neshek of all people being a difference maker in the Central? He's easily the Cardinals MVP. He's not logging a ton of innings, but he's logged more than he has in any year since 2007, so maybe at some point it catches up with him.

Per GM Neal Huntington: @TheCUTCH22 has been diagnosed with an avulsion fracture involving the costochondral cartilage of the left 11th rib.
Translates to a cracked rib. That's an injury of another color. I sustained a cracked rib wrestling. Funny thing about it was that it didn't bother me unless I took a DEEP breath or raised my arms. Then a sharp stabbing pain that would make me flinch. Of course during matches it hurt a lot. I never won another all season.

It takes rest for those ribs to mend over. Mc Cutchen will rest for 15 days or so and come back too soon and the 1st time he swings hard will undo the healing. If he can ignore the pain he can play, but the adjustments his body makes to lessen the stabs will throw off his game.

Pirates' sawbones know all this and will play it by ear. Bottom line: he will return but his game will suffer to some degree. It's hard to sit on the bench when you feel just fine.

either Walker or McCuthen will be put on the 15-day DL today, walker was pulled from the game last night, and they wont play with a 23 man roster after losing last nights game, so someones going on the DL

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

On another level, could anyone have foreseen Pat Neshek of all people being a difference maker in the Central? He's easily the Cardinals MVP. He's not logging a ton of innings, but he's logged more than he has in any year since 2007, so maybe at some point it catches up with him.

Well the guy has been pretty darn good before in his career. Before his TJ he was nearly lights out and then took a couple seasons to fully recover. He's obviously pitching way above his or anyone else's head. His K rate is about career norm but he's cut his walks and homeruns by more than half and his hits by almost half.

Well the guy has been pretty darn good before in his career. Before his TJ he was nearly lights out and then took a couple seasons to fully recover. He's obviously pitching way above his or anyone else's head. His K rate is about career norm but he's cut his walks and homeruns by more than half and his hits by almost half.

I was perusing the hitters against Neshek trying to find his kryptonite. Most have so few AB's to make much of a difference but Raul Ibanez does have 2 HR and 7 RBI off him in just 4 AB's. Since the Brewers play the Cards 7 times in September, it might be worth picking up old Raul after August 31st deadline, just to face Neshek in key situations.

Fortunately for the opposition, Matheny insists on on keeping Rosenthal as the closer in spite of the fact that he routinely gets in trouble starting the 9th after Neshek just mows 'em down in the 8th or earlier.

And when the writers beat Rosie down and Pat gets the job, HE will be kept as the closer too long and the cycle begins anew. The Eckersly, Isringhausen and Ryan Franklin syndrome is alive and well.

Discussing the drilling of Pirates' McCutchen, team exec La Russa denied that the drilling was intentional and in the next breath pointed out that the Bucs lead the league in HBP.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24647143/video-diamondbacks-retaliate-for-accidental-hbp

The Reds have caught the scuffling Braves in the wild card race. Their losing streak has reached eight. The Nats are pulling away, 4 games up in the East.

thats a bunch of horse crap, the Cutch HBP was 10000% intent for the unintentional hit the night before. im not sure if LaRussa is aware, but Frieri is AWFUL. There is no way he intentionally threw and hit a HAND when he can barely hit the strikezone. LaRussa is nothing but a troll. I forgot he was even still in baseball until he poked his face from under whatever bridge the diamondbacks have him stashed to do that interview.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I forgot he was even still in baseball until he poked his face from under whatever bridge the diamondbacks have him stashed to do that interview.
I don't even know what his function on that team IS, or how an organization could swallow the La Russa Kool-aid the media has been force feeding the public from the day he "invented" the closer role.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGMI1fwBYayI-RqdxxIFHQ_IsHfzdzl_z8JhGyPMhEQUuxzuci

The Reds and Pirates have an opportunity to make up some ground this weekend, playing the Fish and the Friars while the Brewers and Cards slug it out with 1st place Baltimore and LA. The Dodgers have really hit their stride of late, playing very good ball. The O's are also pulling away from the pack.

The country will get their first look at Cubs rookie, the red hot Javier Baez on WGN this afternoon when they host the Rays at Wrigley.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnD139eeh1c12dnnEMg9EgCemZaoOGUZ67FcDGHXnQkrW3adKj

Upcomming week

Brewers @ Cubs, LaD

StL @ Mia, SD @ StL

Pirates draw 4 games @ Det, then 3 @ Was

Reds vs Red Sox, then @ Col

Other NL series of note 4 games of LAD @ Atl, and Atl plays vs Oak

That's a pretty sour note for the Braves, with the Reds breathing down their necks, only a half game back in the WC and playing two last place teams while Atlanta faces two division leaders. Good chance they catch the Bucs as well.

Archived