Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-01 Brewers (Peralta) at Cardinals (Wainwright), 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-4]

TooLiveBrew

I don't believe it's about stopping it, it's more about letting them know that when this happens, there will be retaliation, we aren't going to continue to just take it.

It's all stupid, the entire situation, but we continue to take it time after time. It gets old.

I wonder if the attitudes here would change if one of our guys gets hit and has a DL stint, or worse. Would so many be against hitting one of their guys in retaliation if we lose a starting player for an extended period of time?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing drives me nuts in baseball more than watching someone walk guys with a big lead late.

There is literally almost no difference in effect between a HR and a walk with a big lead late. Throw a damn strike.

Nothing drives me nuts in baseball more than watching someone walk guys with a big lead late.

There is literally almost no difference in effect between a HR and a walk with a big lead late. Throw a damn strike.

Amen

A win is a win, hopefully that 'decent' 9th inning for the Cards doesn't carry into tomorrow.

Can't get into a bean war with the Cards. It's their intimidation factor.. gotta just keep getting those guys in when they intentionally put them on base. That being said, I won't complain if Holliday takes on square in the back - he won't feel it anyway. Carpenter would be one to hit, the ball might break him.

That's the fallacy in the idea. Because the Cardinals will never stop playing this way as long as they have a LaRussa progeny (Matheny) at the helm. The only way to get the payback is to drive that runner in. We did that. Payback acquired.

Gomez has been hit by Cardinal pitching in the last 4 games against them.

Whether or not you agree with payback, this is not an acceptable trend, and it needs to be addressed. Whether that means retaliation or addressing it to the league is not up to me, but it needs to be addressed.

Ok, retaliate. Hit a guy. HEre is my question, and no one will ever answer it. Do you believe that it will make the Cardinals stop hitting batters? WHich is the stated purpose, yes? Why else are you giving a free base runner?

Nothing will stop them. Not Yost having Pujols beaned or Macha's strongly worded letter to Selig.

Did you hear him as they were going to the post game show? Was that BA that said "Jesus, never fails?" LOL
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

That's the fallacy in the idea. Because the Cardinals will never stop playing this way as long as they have a LaRussa progeny (Matheny) at the helm. The only way to get the payback is to drive that runner in. We did that. Payback acquired.

Gomez has been hit by Cardinal pitching in the last 4 games against them.

Whether or not you agree with payback, this is not an acceptable trend, and it needs to be addressed. Whether that means retaliation or addressing it to the league is not up to me, but it needs to be addressed.

Ok, retaliate. Hit a guy. HEre is my question, and no one will ever answer it. Do you believe that it will make the Cardinals stop hitting batters? WHich is the stated purpose, yes? Why else are you giving a free base runner?

I don't know the answer to that. I know that not knowing the answer to that doesn't absolve us from a responsibility to take actions to protect our players. Gomez is going to end up injured one of these times, and that's not okay, and Matheny deserves discipline for carrying it this far.

I'm not directly suggesting retaliation, just suggesting that as one course of action. And if you do, I'm not advocating giving them a free runner. Just doing it in a situation that it doesn't hurt you (a blowout, or a situation where you would give an IBB anyway)

Couldn't leave Duke in to face the lefty? Slave to the save.

Really? Please tell me you're joking. The last thing RR wanted to do was put in KRod. If Duke hadn't walked two, and nearly given up a 3 run HR, he wouldn't have had to.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Did you hear him as they were going to the post game show? Was that BA that said "Jesus, never fails?" LOL

Pretty sure it was Schroeder. Guesses as to what he could have been referring to?

You're right. I listened to it again. It's Schroeder. I think he was referring to our never making it easy against the Cardinals.

If it's on the back and leaves a bruise for a couple days it's easy to shrug off. When it's at the hands it's harder to swallow - a bruise affects a swing, and there's 27 bones per hand to break. But not like beaning them back will stop it.

Know who agrees with you? Tony LaRussa.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/la-russa-unplugged-on-brewers-throwing-at-pujols/article_25757c72-bda9-11e0-aa2b-001a4bcf6878.html

Forgot about that one. That whole thing truly secured my hatred of the Cardinals.

As much as I hate the Cards, I don't want umpires to just start tossing guys because of a history.

To me, if there's a history as well known as the Cards when it comes to this garbage, MLB and umps should overreact the other way and start tossing/suspending pitchers immediately until that team's behavior changes. You can still pitch inside and still occasionally hit a batter, but when there's a question of intent, umps should be able to drop the hammer and kick a pitcher out without any warnings being issued. It's in the rules that they have that ability, why not use it?

A win is a win is a win. We won, the Cardinals lost, the Pirates are about to lose. All is well in the world tonight.

Night all, sleep well!

I'm personally fine with no retaliation. RRR doesn't need to order his pitcher to hit a guy for his players to know he has their backs. They're well aware. Take the free base and move along.

That's all fine and good the first game you get beaned. Not the 4th in a row.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't know the answer to that. I know that not knowing the answer to that doesn't absolve us from a responsibility to take actions to protect our players. Gomez is going to end up injured one of these times, and that's not okay, and Matheny deserves discipline for carrying it this far.

I'm not directly suggesting retaliation, just suggesting that as one course of action. And if you do, I'm not advocating giving them a free runner. Just doing it in a situation that it doesn't hurt you (a blowout, or a situation where you would give an IBB anyway)

Ok, so tomorrow, we're up 10 - 1, and you bring in Kintzler, who drills Holliday. What have you proven? I want to know what tangible point have we proven? That we'll play tit for tat? You know how this goes. You KNOW that this will NOT result in the Cardinals ceasing to hit batters or pitch inside, so I'm asking, not sarcastically, what tangible benefit the scenario you're laying out will provide.

Archived