Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-01 Brewers (Peralta) at Cardinals (Wainwright), 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-4]

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We are a good baserunning team.

Thanks for not putting that in blue, we need to keep reminding posters of this fact. Currently 6th in MLB per fangraphs. Compared to other teams we make less mistakes and take more extra bases.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Thanks for not putting that in blue, we need to keep reminding posters of this fact. Currently 6th in MLB per fangraphs. Compared to other teams we make less mistakes and take more extra bases.

Yeah, I didn't put it in blue, but it was totally sarcasm. I love Fangraphs, but the whole "the Brewers are aggressive and a good baserunning team....." Sorry. I'm not buying it.

Yeah, I didn't put it in blue, but it was totally sarcasm. I love Fangraphs, but the whole "the Brewers are aggressive and a good baserunning team....." Sorry. I'm not buying it.

They are actually ranked 5th, but I have to admit I am skeptical about UBR as well. Also a little strange, the 4 teams ahead of us all have losing records.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I love and have faith in advanced stats but I refuse to believe this.

As much as I would love to watch every game and assign positive value for additional bases taken and subtract value for outs made on the bases, I just don't have the time.

In the meantime I'll give a some creedence to the folks that are able to do so, even if the results don't line up with my preconceived notions. We are not the only team that makes stupid outs on the bases.

As much as I would love to watch every game and assign positive value for additional bases taken and subtract value for outs made on the bases, I just don't have the time.

In the meantime I'll give a some creedence to the folks that are able to do so, even if the results don't line up with my preconceived notions. We are not the only team that makes stupid outs on the bases.

Here's my issue with these stats. An "out on base", is an "out on base" whether it's an aggressive baserunner getting thrown out at home by 2 feet, or it's pure stupidity, such as Herrera leaning off of first, or two runners ending up on the same base.

There's something to be said for being ultra-aggressive, and I do agree with that, but it does seem that a lot of our base running "outs on base" are of the "oh my freaking God, I can't believe he just did that" variety.

Like you, I don't watch enough games from other teams to know what is a normal percentage of "being stupid" or "being aggressive" outs on base. If I had to guess, my eye test tells me the Brewers would have a higher percentage of "being stupid" outs on base. I'm sure you're going to tell me there's no difference, but I respectfully disagree. I like that sites like fangraphs and B-R are attempting to quantify more and more parts of the game, but baserunning is not the same as batting, which is easily quantifiable.

I love and have faith in advanced stats but I refuse to believe this.

Thing is, Gomez and Segura, and to a lesser extent, Weeks and Overbay are good. Davis, Ramirez, Braun, and basically the rest of the replaceable bench are bad.

You can see that Wainwright is not dominant. Been a while.

He owned everybody in June and in July up to the All-Star break. In two starts since the All-Star break (not counting tonight), he has one stinker and one gem.

He's had three bad outings all season.

My God, talk about flipping the table. Braun went from red hot with a 12 game hitting streak to not being able to buy a hit. What's that, 0-20 now?
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Maybe St. Louis should have traded for Parra, not Milwaukee :laughing

Oscar Taveras - .239 wOBA (105 PA)

Logan Schafer - .247 wOBA (119 PA)

Talk to me a year from now. I think Taveras will be one of the best hitters in the National League, and I don't think it will take him very long to get there.

Come on, Wily. Settle down, big guy. No more freebies.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Feel like I can hear a pin drop right now. Don't give the fans anything to cheer about.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You can see that Wainwright is not dominate. Been a while.

He owned everybody in June and in July up to the All-Star break. In two starts since the All-Star break (not counting tonight), he has one stinker and one gem.

He's had three bad outings all season.

Not to argue, but in the gem he was in trouble all night. Got out of jams and had a few DP's turned behind him. Only charged with 1 ER I think.

Talk to me a year from now. I think Taveras will be one of the best hitters in the National League, and I don't think it will take him very long to get there.

I know it's a tiny sample size but I don't know how many players have been so horrible to start their careers and ended up turning it around and living up to their prospect hype. Here's hoping he's Corey Patterson #2.

I'm pretty much with you all the way, endaround. The base running stats are nowhere near as reliable as batting stats. The Brewers do seem to make an inordinate amount of stupid outs on the bases. I don't particularly like it either.

At the same time neither I nor any other poster on this forum really has any basis for comparison as to how those seemingly numerous stupid mistakes compare to those made by other teams. In that case I'll defer to those who do make a concerted effort to do so.

For what it's worth Baseball Prospectus has us 2nd in MLB per their base running metrics so fangraphs isn't alone in their positive overall assessment.

I know it's a tiny sample size but I don't know how many players have been so horrible to start their careers and ended up turning it around and living up to their prospect hype. Here's hoping he's Corey Patterson #2.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rodrial01.shtml

Ok, but Alex Rodriguez was a teenager with barely any professional experience, and was an elite defensive shortstop...

Ok, but Alex Rodriguez was a teenager with barely any professional experience, and was an elite defensive shortstop...

Hahaha! I know, I know. I'm just not about to crucify the guy after 100 AB's. I'd be willing to bet he's a .275/25/75 guy next year.

Archived