Brewer Fanatic

Stephen Drew to the Yankees, Kelly Johnson to Red Sox

LouisEly

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/11292141/new-york-yankees-acquire-stephen-drew-martin-prado-trading-deadline

Drew, while having a rough year in a somewhat small sample coming off of no spring training and being paid a good amount of money, is a guy I would have really liked the Brewers to have picked up. Backup LH-hitting infielder with some pop coming off of a .776 OPS season last year, still only 31, and basically cost nothing to get because the Yankees were willing to pick up most of his salary for the rest of the year.

Would have made a great backup infielder this year, ended the Bianchi/Herrera/Falu experiment, and someone who could replace Segura against tough RH starters and perhaps, if resigned, allow Ramirez to move to 1B next year.

And I'm sure the Red Sox would have preferred not to have traded him to the Yankees if they had anything related to a similar offer. This one I am not happy about.

I looked at this trade simply as someone who lived in AZ for many seasons of DBacks games wondering if the mighty Red Sox / Yankees are exchanging DB castaways at the trade deadline. I'd think indeed OP is on point about adding SD for depth but I suppose the GP move getting the DB castaway from the source is useful.

Archived