Brewer Fanatic

Playoff Teams - What are Your Guesses?

Bombers

Melvin dropped the ball. Lester or Price would have given the Brewers the push they needed. I still think they make the playoffs, but I think the Braves or Nationals will beat them easily. Damn shame they punked out of acquiring an ace just to keep mediocre prospects.

The Braves? And who are the aces the Braves are going to trot out?

What's more, their "medicore prospects," based on what? What makes Jimmy Nelson, the most dominant AAA pitcher mediocre? Or Arcia, Taylor or Coulter?

The conjecture is just unreal though. Without any idea of how the actual trade talks went, it's Melvins fault for not turning off the filter on his video game so he could trade for whoever he wanted, regardless of the players availability, in the case of Morneau, or the 2 months of Lester.

Again, because we identify players from other teams and think, "hey, they would fit well on the Brewers," doesn't mean those other teams are operating under the mandate that they need to trade those players in order to help the Brewers.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Community Moderator

Looking back at the preseason prediction thread, I had Cardinals over Red Sox in the World Series and the Brewers finishing .500 and missing the playoffs. So I'm clueless. Anyway:

NL:

Dodgers

Brewers

Nationals

San Francisco/Pittsburgh

AL:

LA Angels

Detroit

Baltimore

Oakland/NY Yankees

Expectations are too high in Oakland--I see the A's dropping that WC game to the Yankees. That sets up LA and Detroit in the ALCS. The NLCS will feature the other LA team against the Brewers. In an all-LA World Series, the Dodgers ride Kershaw to the title over the Angels.

East_ Nats

Cen_ Brewers

West_ LA

Not too bold a prediction as that's how it stands now.

WC's: Pirates/Braves

The Giants, Reds and Cards have just too many issues right now. It's quite possible that Miami will pass them all.

It's quite possible that if Jose Fernandez wasn't hurt, Miami would be making a push for the division title right now. They're going to have a nice young team next year.

Melvin dropped the ball. Lester or Price would have given the Brewers the push they needed. I still think they make the playoffs, but I think the Braves or Nationals will beat them easily. Damn shame they punked out of acquiring an ace just to keep mediocre prospects.

The Braves? And who are the aces the Braves are going to trot out?

What's more, their "medicore prospects," based on what? What makes Jimmy Nelson, the most dominant AAA pitcher mediocre? Or Arcia, Taylor or Coulter?

The conjecture is just unreal though. Without any idea of how the actual trade talks went, it's Melvins fault for not turning off the filter on his video game so he could trade for whoever he wanted, regardless of the players availability, in the case of Morneau, or the 2 months of Lester.

Again, because we identify players from other teams and think, "hey, they would fit well on the Brewers," doesn't mean those other teams are operating under the mandate that they need to trade those players in order to help the Brewers.

The Braves own us. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are, the Braves OWN the Brewers. When was the last time this team won a series in Atlanta? Roster wise the Brewers are better than both the Nats and Braves, but they can't beat them. Dropped the home and away series to both teams. It is what it is. I have no valid reason to think this team can beat whoever the NL East champion will be. The Brewers prospects are mediocre. Not a single one of them except for Nelson had a high ranking. Even then Nelson's ranking wasn't that great. I get that everyone is obsessed with prospects, but these kids right now aren't projected to be anything more than average. Doesn't mean that they can't improve their status, but I don't have much hope. Besides none of those guys, except for Nelson, could have helped the Brewers win a world series within the 2 years. I don't care about 4 or 5 years down the line. Most of the guys currently on the roster will be in decline by the time the kids are ready to play. Brewers missed out on a chance to make major improvements right now. After what Price went for, there's no way Milwaukee couldn't have made a good offer for him.

Community Moderator

once in a blue moon. this year they got whipped at home and in the ATL.

They went 2-5 and got outscored 26-17 this year. That's bad--but not exactly domination. It doesn't make sense to use recent history to justify that the Brewers "can't beat" the Braves. History also shows that the Braves can't win in the playoffs. They have lost 6 playoff series in a row, plus a wild card playoff.

Still, both stats are meaningless because MLB rosters change so much that it doesn't really matter. So what if the 2012 Brewers got killed by the Braves. The rosters are completely different now.

We are the favorites up until this point and we should stay the favorites in the NL.

The Brewers were never the NL favorites. The Dodgers have been all year. I think it was Bovada that had the Brewers as the fifth most likely team to win the NL, and this was a couple weeks ago.

You have me as saying that but those are not my words.

They went 2-5 and got outscored 26-17 this year. That's bad--but not exactly domination. It doesn't make sense to use recent history to justify that the Brewers "can't beat" the Braves. History also shows that the Braves can't win in the playoffs. They have lost 6 playoff series in a row, plus a wild card playoff.

Still, both stats are meaningless because MLB rosters change so much that it doesn't really matter. So what if the 2012 Brewers got killed by the Braves. The rosters are completely different now.

I don't even have to use recent history to think the Braves would beat the Brewers again in a playoff series. All I have to do is go by what has happened this year. Again the Brewers failed to beat the Braves. Atlanta is just one of those teams that often gets the better of Brewers. Just like the Lards. At least with the Lards we're capable of beating them on the road. With Atlanta it's once in a blue moon. Roster wise I think the Brewers are superior. Unfortunately it seems like they are incapable of proving this on the field. Good thing that the Brewers are neck and neck with the Dodgers for the top seed in the NL. If the Crew can avoid the NL East then their chances of progressing to the NLCS go up. Brewers have fared better against the Dodgers and Giants in the past few years.

I don't even have to use recent history to think the Braves would beat the Brewers again in a playoff series. All I have to do is go by what has happened this year. Again the Brewers failed to beat the Braves. Atlanta is just one of those teams that often gets the better of Brewers. Just like the Lards. At least with the Lards we're capable of beating them on the road. With Atlanta it's once in a blue moon. Roster wise I think the Brewers are superior. Unfortunately it seems like they are incapable of proving this on the field. Good thing that the Brewers are neck and neck with the Dodgers for the top seed in the NL. If the Crew can avoid the NL East then their chances of progressing to the NLCS go up. Brewers have fared better against the Dodgers and Giants in the past few years.

Last year the Cardinals lost their regular season series against both the Pirates & the Dodgers. They subsequently played both those teams in the playoffs and beat them. It's almost like once the playoffs start anything can happen.

East - Nationals

Central - Pirates

West - Dodgers

WC 1 - Cardinals

WC 2- Braves

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Before yesterday's game, ESPN had a poll on its site, asking who fans thought would win the NL. Four teams were listed, none of which were the Brewers. It really is incredible the lack of respect this team gets.

Before yesterday's game, ESPN had a poll on its site, asking who fans thought would win the NL. Four teams were listed, none of which were the Brewers. It really is incredible the lack of respect this team gets.

The way the team has played as of late really has helped make up peoples mind that this team isn't for real, that they just happened to get hot for a month or so.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Last year the Cardinals lost their regular season series against both the Pirates & the Dodgers. They subsequently played both those teams in the playoffs and beat them. It's almost like once the playoffs start anything can happen.

I hope the same rings true for the Brewers. I don't see it happening though

The way the team has played as of late really has helped make up peoples mind that this team isn't for real, that they just happened to get hot for a month or so.

I'm in agreement on that. They were 13 over in April and have played under .500 the rest of the way.

• 1 month later...

NLW - LAD

NLC - STL

NLE - WAS

WC1 - SFG

WC2 - PIT

ALW - OAK

ALC - DET

ALE - BAL

WC1 - NYY

WC2 - LAA

Well this guess was awfully close. Only team missed was not picking KC instead of NYY. Also, no one had predicted the Angels would make up all that ground and take the division from the A's.

Archived