Brewer Fanatic

Any thoughts on possible Aug. trades?

As much as I wanted Morneau, I'm glad Doug didn't do something stupid and overpay. Luckily we've found offense at other positions to make up for lack of consistent offense at first. As I say that, let's not pretend like Reynolds and Overbay haven't exceeded what we though defensively there and they've also had some big hits for us this season. Not saying it can't be upgraded as Morneau would do that, but it isn't as bad as it seems.

A lot is made of Reynolds because of his low AVG and high K rate but he has a higher OBP than Davis and has more home runs in 80 less AB ... And segura has a .267 OBP - which Reynolds is significantly better. So 1B while bad isn't the only problem.

Well said. Kind've what I was trying to point out. You just did it better!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Melvin needs to find a reliever Jeffress is not the answer.

No, not yet anyway. But Kintzler may still be a part of the solution. I think the most likely scenario is taking a high priced reliever at this point. With our record the chances of a good right handed reliever making it to us who doesn't have a cumbersome contract is slim. A guy like...to repeat myself, but Papelbon is the most likely IMO.

He would cost not only 13 million next year, but could very easily see his '16 option vest if he became our closer.

He has also said he would only accept a trade if he closed wherever he ended up.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I view it as standard operating procedure that DM will be blamed in this scenario and will be fired.

Except baseball GMs do not get fired.

Let go? released? Walked to the door?

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

and his $14 million dollar contract for 2015?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

you know the brewers are on his no trade list, right?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

you know the brewers are on his no trade list, right?

Wasn't aware of that. But does that come into play with pure waiver claims, say if Philly was just happy to get rid of his contract?

Roberto (Fausto Carmona) Hernandez probably won't make it through, but he'd be a nice pickup too as would Wade Miley who the D-Backs put on revocable waivers reportedly.

Boy if A.J. Burnett clears, I'd be all over him if it appears Garza will be out long.

But it doesn't appear Garza will be out long and I doubt that the difference between Burnett and Fiers or Estrada(even though I'm no fan of his) is worth the salary Burnett brings with him.

And we need relievers farm more than starters at this point.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24656463/mets-vets-granderson-and-niese-clear-waivers-and-can-be-traded-now

Surprised Jonathon Niese made it through unclaimed. $7M for 2015, $9M for 2016, and $10M/$11M options for 2016-17. He's struggled a bit over the past two months so not really good for us right now, but surprised no team wanted to put a claim in.

I find it kind of crazy that we can't find a suitable 7th or 8th bullpen arm to help the beleaguered bullpen. Someone has to be availble for cheaper than a king's ransom.

Are the Brewers really looking for a last guy in the bullpen type? I don't think so. It seems to me the hole in the pen is finding a righty to alternate pitching the 8th inning with Smith. And that isn't a 7th or 8th bullpen arm type position.

We are looking for quality, so as was said the only quality guys that will clear waivers have a cumbersome contract in tow.

Edit: I guess I thought you were thinking fixing the 7th or 8th guy in the pen (or the last guy), maybe you meant the guy pitching the 7th/8th inning. If so, sorry. But the point still holds, that I don't think there were many teams willing to sell that guy in their pen as usually he is cheap and is under control for more than this year and is probably poised to be their closer at some point in the future.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I find it kind of crazy that we can't find a suitable 7th or 8th bullpen arm to help the beleaguered bullpen. Someone has to be availble for cheaper than a king's ransom.

Are the Brewers really looking for a last guy in the bullpen type? I don't think so. It seems to me the hole in the pen is finding a righty to alternate pitching the 8th inning with Smith. And that isn't a 7th or 8th bullpen arm type position.

We are looking for quality, so as was said the only quality guys that will clear waivers have a cumbersome contract in tow.

Roderick nailed it. The only quality right handers that will be available are going to have bad contracts. Papelbon is an example. He'd be awesome to have, but he's likely going to cost $25 million over 2015-16. And he'll still cost a prospect.

It sure would have been nice to have Henderson or Thornburg come back and pitch well.

I agree that once Garza comes back either Nelson or Fiers should be put in the bullpen and used in crucial situations. They both could handle it I think and could go multiple innings. If that happens and they can eventually get Henderson back it would make me feel a lot better. Smith has been pitching better of late too.

Unfortunately I think any good bullpen pitcher worth a lick is getting claimed on waivers before the Brewers get a chance. Sure the crappy and or expensive relivers probably made it through waivers but those guys don't do the Brewers any good. It looks like DM needs to figure out the problem internally at this point.

I thought I head the Brewers were runners up for Andrew Miller at the trading deadline; he would have been a pretty nice pick up depending on the price.

I agree that once Garza comes back either Nelson or Fiers should be put in the bullpen and used in crucial situations. They both could handle it I think and could go multiple innings. If that happens and they can eventually get Henderson back it would make me feel a lot better. Smith has been pitching better of late too.

Unfortunately I think any good bullpen pitcher worth a lick is getting claimed on waivers before the Brewers get a chance. Sure the crappy and or expensive relivers probably made it through waivers but those guys don't do the Brewers any good. It looks like DM needs to figure out the problem internally at this point.

I thought I head the Brewers were runners up for Andrew Miller at the trading deadline; he would have been a pretty nice pick up depending on the price.

Yes that is correct about Miller... If he wasn't dealt to the O's he would have been in Milwaukee... Would be curious to hear what the deal was.

Given how he's performing ATM I don't think there's any way you can put Fiers in the bullpen. Nelson hasn't been bad but he isn't lights out like Fiers. Plus Fiers has previous big league experience/success and shouldn't fold under pressure.

Archived