Brewer Fanatic

Any thoughts on possible Aug. trades?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see them add a couple players. Still think they'll try to grab a backup middle infielder and a RH reliever.

Could see a big bat at 1B, but my gut is that they leave it alone unless one of those guys really falls off or gets hurt.

Trades at this point seem to be either high-priced players or veteran backups who can add some depth.

I'm sure that some of the Philly players will be on the waiver wires (i.e. Howard), if anything else just to see if someone claims the contracts. Since teams have another month or so to see what happens in the wild card race, I think you'll actually see a bunch of small trades toward the end of August.

I think the Brewers even made a trade or two in September of 2011. Those guys aren't eligible for the postseason, but they could fill in for an injury, pinch run, etc. Unfortunately the Brewers have limited 40 man space at the moment for those types of deals.

I'm really hoping for Justin Morneau, if he's placed on waivers.

Just don't see it happening, if he goes to waivers I imagine at the very least the Pirates claim him first. It will be overpaid, oft injured guys like Dunn or Hart that will still be available.

Someone could call about Estrada if a starter goes down somewhere and the Brewers will listen but won't get much back. I don't see the Brewers shopping unless Henderson can't make it back.

Morneau might well be a target, but in December.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Could see a big bat at 1B, but my gut is that they leave it alone unless one of those guys really falls off or gets hurt.

Like if one slipped to a .650-ish OPS?

I lol'd, because that's more or less what I was thinking. I'll wait for the inevitable "but Lyle's been super clutch!" arguments, because there's no possible way his numbers with RISP this year could just be random noise in a small sample size.

I know it's not happening, but if there's ANY. POSSIBLE. WAY. they could snag a 1B who's more productive than Lylrk Overnolds, they need to do it.

maybe a util IF guy will clear waivers, replace Bianchi/whoever on the bench.. I dont see them getting a 1B, the only other piece might be a RH RP in the pen to replace Kintzler until after Sept 1st

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I would happy with Dunn or Carp if they made it to us. I would definitely let Overbay go if we got Carp, but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade Dunn would be over Overbay. He'd be a great power bat for late game situations though.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

DM might have just costed us the playoffs by not making a move at the deadline. If so, then fire him.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

DM might have just costed us the playoffs by not making a move at the deadline. If so, then fire him.

I think that is ridiculous.

You've raved about DM. Then you make these guarantees such as the one you made when you guaranteed that the Brewers would trade for Morneau.

Well....sorry, but the Rockies have a say in the matter as well and they flat out said he wasn't available according to Melvin who was clearly frustrated with the lack of teams willing to deal.

And didn't you say the Brewers would be TEN GAMES ahead of the Cardinals by the ASB, then by the 1st of September? So now he's worth 11 more wins than who we have currently and he's cost us the playoffs using your logic?

Again, this is all moot if the team you're trying to trade with won't trade with you.

Melvin has put together a team that is 1 game behind the Dodgers who have 2.5 times the payroll we do in the National League and are 3 games up on the Cardinals in the division. Not sure how that translates to a lack of job security. Trading Nelson, Arcia, Coulter and Taylor and then giving Price 8 years and close to 200 million would have been grounds to fire him IMO, a move you were adamantly advocating.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

You've raved about DM. Then you make these guarantees such as the one you made when you guaranteed that the Brewers would trade for Morneau.

Well....sorry, but the Rockies have a say in the matter as well and they flat out said he wasn't available according to Melvin who was clearly frustrated with the lack of teams willing to deal.

And didn't you say the Brewers would be TEN GAMES ahead of the Cardinals by the ASB, then by the 1st of September? So now he's worth 11 more wins than who we have currently and he's cost us the playoffs using your logic?

Again, this is all moot if the team you're trying to trade with won't trade with you.

Melvin has put together a team that is 1 game behind the Dodgers who have 2.5 times the payroll we do in the National League and are 3 games up on the Cardinals in the division. Not sure how that translates to a lack of job security. Trading Nelson, Arcia, Coulter and Taylor and then giving Price 8 years and close to 200 million would have been grounds to fire him IMO, a move you were adamantly advocating.

I agree HiAndTight what a ridiculous suggestion that Melvin should be fired. He has put together a team who is competing for a division title and it's August. How in the world would that result in him being canned? PFX just wants Melvin canned because none of his guarantees are coming true ...

As much as Dunn would obliterate Overbay on offense he has become only an emergency fielder (only 203 defensive innings this year). We don't even have any DH games left on the schedule. If he was merely below average I think it would make sense, but this is not the biggest strikeout staff and solid infield defense is part of that. If the team got ultracreative on the roster management I could see an angle where he gets a few Sept starts, a lot of pinch hitting and then for the playoffs you drop down a pitcher and have him around as a big weapon off the bench and DH if you make the WS. I'm just not sold all of that maneuvering gets you as much as just finding a better hitter with merely OK defense at first.

I am right there with Justin Morneau. That .300+ avg with solid defense would make our line-up formidable.

Saw Gonzo got hurt for Colorado again last night. Colorado is going nowhere this year. Why wasn't that deal done?! Man life isn't fair. lol.

As much as I wanted Morneau, I'm glad Doug didn't do something stupid and overpay. Luckily we've found offense at other positions to make up for lack of consistent offense at first. As I say that, let's not pretend like Reynolds and Overbay haven't exceeded what we though defensively there and they've also had some big hits for us this season. Not saying it can't be upgraded as Morneau would do that, but it isn't as bad as it seems.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I am right there with Justin Morneau. That .300+ avg with solid defense would make our line-up formidable.

Saw Gonzo got hurt for Colorado again last night. Colorado is going nowhere this year. Why wasn't that deal done?! Man life isn't fair. lol.

Because Colorado is pretending this year was derailed due to injuries alone. So they are planning on bringing everyone back next year.

As much as I wanted Morneau, I'm glad Doug didn't do something stupid and overpay. Luckily we've found offense at other positions to make up for lack of consistent offense at first. As I say that, let's not pretend like Reynolds and Overbay haven't exceeded what we though defensively there and they've also had some big hits for us this season. Not saying it can't be upgraded as Morneau would do that, but it isn't as bad as it seems.

A lot is made of Reynolds because of his low AVG and high K rate but he has a higher OBP than Davis and has more home runs in 80 less AB ... And segura has a .267 OBP - which Reynolds is significantly better. So 1B while bad isn't the only problem.

I agree HiAndTight what a ridiculous suggestion that Melvin should be fired. He has put together a team who is competing for a division title and it's August. How in the world would that result in him being canned? PFX just wants Melvin canned because none of his guarantees are coming true ...

I view it as standard operating procedure that DM will be blamed in this scenario and will be fired.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Archived