Brewer Fanatic

Marlins Acquire Jarred Cosart from Astros in 6-player deal

Bombers

The Marlins have announced a multi-player trade with the Astros that will bring starter Jarred Cosart, shortstop Enrique Hernandez, and pitcher Francis Martes to Miami in exchange for third baseman Colin Moran, outfielder Jake Marisnick, outfielder Austin Wates, and the Marlins’ 2015 compensation pick.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/marlins-acquire-jarred-cosart.html

This if the worst trade thus far I've seen unless this Enrique Hernandez/Martes duo are worth any lick. Moran and Marisnick are everyday players on Houston come 2016. (marisnick may be today) Throw in the comp pick(havent we seen Miami do this already!) I just don't get it. How great is Cosart? I don't think he's great enough to dump Moran that's for sure!

Kind of an odd move for the deadline, but I honestly don't hate it for Miami. Hernandez is a solid regular and Cosart is a solid mid rotation guy on a team that could be looking pretty competitive by next year. I've never been very fond of Marisnick. Moran hasn't exactly lit the world on fire, and the Marlins are in a better position than anybody to assess his makeup and approach. People will make fun of this trade because it's the Marlins, but they got the last laugh in the Blue Jays trade, and they could do it again here.
advocates for the devil

FWIW, I've heard nothing but bad things about Moran's makeup. Maybe he'll get his head on straight and the Marlins will end up regretting that deal, but this looks like it might be a case of a team selling on someone that still has high draft pick shine but who they think could be a bust.

Archived