Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire OF Gerardo Parra from Arizona; prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda to D-backs

yoyomayoma

Just to add one thought. Let's assume the Brewers DID overpay a little for Parra? So what? A trade means you have to actually give up something. For those of you who don't like the deal, who would you have given up? Ramirez? Rodgers? Ratterree? I mean the one things the Brewers have in the system is a lot of bats in this range. Guys that are solid prospects, with some upside. You trade one of them for an obvious need.

Finally, nobody is talking about the upside of Parra. Maybe being free of Gibson and having a frsh start will bump up his OPS by 100 points, heck even 50. And you get that for another whole season. I did see Banda's last start by the way, and I wish he wasn't included in this deal- but that's nitpicking.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't really like the deal but just about anything you put on the field will be better than Schafer. He can't hit, his defense seems shaky for someone who is supposed to be a great defensive player and he can't even seem to bunt. 4th OF was definitely a need for this team because if anyone gets hurt and we have to start Schafer it is a complete nightmare. I think we overpaid for Parra though, probably because he has been a bit of a Brewer killer.

I agree with all of this and would like to through in that Schafer was also an unreliable baserunner.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I've read 8 pages thus far. Anyway. 2014 is the Now. Haniger has what a 2016 at best Rookie season?(2018 maybe peak in ability season?) EXPENDABLE!!!!

Schafer has been awful.

Parra is a massive upgrade to this team's bench/4th OF situation....MASSIVE!! This is a 12Star trade out of 10stars...Seriously, I have no clue what any single poster against this trade is thinking...losing Prospect Haniger, For a Gold Glove LH Bench/OF bat that helps a Playoff contending team of today?

Whoa what are you all thinking? There's Gindl, there's still Schafer, and there's Taylor. Haniger isn't a future star. I have doubts he'll even make it one season as an everyday OF. So we traded for 1+years of Parra (Haniger's best scenario likely as a ML ballplayer) for the future Haniger....Yeah I'm very much down with that. Schafer absolutely failed in this role and it's been exposed multiple games for Milwaukee this season.

As far as Playing time goes. Doesn't matter to me. Parra for the early part of his career was a 4th OF/Platoon guy. I think when he won his 2011 Gold Glove over Braun he earned that title(w/o looking it up) playing maybe in 110 games? He can spell Davis, give Braun a day or days off. Allow Gomez a day off. Certainly at the very least, The Brewers aren't playing a Black Hole of a ML baseball player (Schafer) if any of our 3 OFs experience a DL stint via injury. Parra is at least avg with his bat+elite defense. Plus we have our 4th OF locked up now for 2015? Steal. STEAL of a Deal!!

Aside from a 1b upgrade, this is the 2nd most important improvement the team had a need for. And honestly, Parra may just be the #1 guy any team could of acquired if they were in Milw's shoes. I can't think of a better player to have targeted.

Parra won a GG for his outfield defense in 2013. And in 2011.

Can't remember many calling it a close race between Parra and Schafer for that award last season. I get that it's an award given away often to underserving recipients but come on - Parra won those GG's because he's a great defensive outfielder, not because he happened to catch alot of flyballs and he hit 35 HR either of those seasons.

The more I hear about Parra, the more I think he will fit in with the Brewers...

The joke on Phoenix sports talk shows today is that Parra was traded to Milwaukee but was picked off before he got there... Apparently he is a travesty on the base paths...

Not sure what part of this should be in blue, if any...

Melvin dealt from a position of strength to fill a position of need...I think that's what matters most right now. Schafer has looked horrible this year, and we didn't have any other really good options on hand to fill that 4th outfielder roll. Parra should fit nicely in that position.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't see how Haniger pushes for time in Milwaukee next year, he hasn't even been good at Huntsville. He would have at best started in Nashville with the way the Brewers like to make their players succeed at every level before being promoted. Plus he is right handed which doesn't help his chances with three firmly entrenched right handed outfielders.

Nobody said he would have started the year for the Brewers next year(though possible given how he performed this past spring training).

I think there are some very short memories on here. Haniger was a guy everyone was talking about coming out of this spring training on this board.

Jim Callis - With 96 minutes to go, OF Mitch Haniger leads the Best Prospect traded on deadline day race

This is a guy who excelled in the AFL, who hit ~.300/.400 last year in A ball and came into camp this year and played great vs big league pitching.

And yes, he very well could have pushed for PT in Milwaukee next year. If you are arguing that he would have likely started the year in AAA, how can you argue that he wouldn't have pushed for PT in Milwaukee next year? He can play all 3 OF spots and has produced when healthy.

^^ This ^^

He might've been able to play for us at some point next year but again, he's another RH bat with an already crowed outfield of right handers. Simply put, he wasn't a fit for us so we made a move to get Parra. A guy that can hit from the left side, play all three positions out there and has won TWO gold glove awards. I know those awards are sometimes just handed to guys that can hit but obviously he can play some serious defense. This was needed as we need to fill in for Davis late in games as he completely stinks out there.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This worries me for several reasons.

1. Giving RRR a new toy to screw with will make him think he has to use him, even when he doesn't. I do not like giving RRR a player that he has to get creative with to find playing time.

2. If some of you are right, and he platoons with Davis in LF, this is a slap in the face to Davis, and only messes with his head, which a guy like him doesn't need. He needs to know that he is our guy every day. He is too young to destroy his confidence, and giving RRR any reason to do just that (see #1) is a mistake. Look what it did to Gomez those years when he didn't know from one day to the next if he was playing or not. I doubt Davis is the head case that Gomez is, but how can this not screw with him, even a little bit is too much.

3. Haniger is a loss, even though some are trying to act like it's no big deal, and I will go even further and say that Banda is a loss we will feel in the future. Haniger was a high draft choice, and developing on schedule and we just dumped him for what, an average 4th Ofer. I have seen Banda pitch in person a few times, and he has great stuff. I was very shocked he seemed like a throw in player. Of course, I am going by the "see the player in person" test, and I'm not throwing out crazy stats and graphs that will say the opposite of what I saw. He has improved and progressed each year, and I thought him to be a diamond in the rough and a kid to watch in the future. I think both players would have had a place on this team in the near future, and after we lose Parra after 2015, we will wish we didn't make this deal.

4. Parra is going to want to play. How will he react to a bench role? From what I have heard in the past, he can be a bit volatile if he doesn't get his way... Can a guy like this come in and disrupt or ruin team unity or atmosphere? Could he be a malcontent?

I don't like this trade given the guys we gave up. I'm on record. That is all.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The nice thing is we still have Schaffer in the minors in case something were to happen to Gomez, he could be called up as he is a very good defensive player out there. Maybe in that case, he'd hit a little more respectable if he were getting regular playing time.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just want to also note.

Since the 20th game of the season, Parra's BA range has been .244-.275 With the Month of July's range being .249-.259(as it stands today)

That is consistency this team needs. I'll gladly enjoy a .250 LH PH replacing Schafer.

Seriously, I have no clue what any single poster against this trade is thinking...losing Prospect Haniger, For a Gold Glove LH Bench/OF bat that helps a Playoff contending team of today?

Whoa what are you all thinking? There's Gindl, there's still Schafer, and there's Taylor. Haniger isn't a future star. I have doubts he'll even make it one season as an everyday OF.

Ok it's one thing to be against the trade and another to just quote your opinions as fact. Obviously this trade helps the Brewers in the present. But really, you can't understand why some people might be a little upset with losing Haniger?

He's played pretty well, even though he's a little older for his level. TheCrew had a good post earlier summing up the trade. Haniger could (notice I said could, not will or won't) wind up being a .280 guy with 20-25 hrs. But that may be a few years down the road. Ultimately, I think the value Parra gives us now outweighs what Haniger might give us in the future.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I believe the Brewers got better NOW. I also believe we overvalue our prospects massively. WAY more have crashed and burned this century, than went on to be above average players. Rogers, Gold, Arnett, Krynzel, LaPorta - the list of "can't miss" guys is long in recent memory. I like the trade simply because we were NEVER in it for Price, frankly. If one of those traded goes on to major league careers, oh well, we weren't gonna get away with trading complete garbage for a Gold Glover with decent skills.

I think some of you are vastly underrating what went on here today, and you had your sights set on blockbuster deals. We solved 4 things with this trade.

1) Nullified baby Crush's suspect defense in the clutch

2) Got ourselves a reliable LH bat who happens to be a defensive ace

3) Bolstered the bench significantly, we will no longer have to see nearly as many Logan Schafer or Elian Herrera making clutch PH at bats.

4) Injury depth and versatility at all OF positions

Are we seriously in here debating Mitch freaking Haniger? Give me a break. If you want to live in the land of hope go be a Twins fan, they have so many "can't miss prospects" you can't even count them all. See how that works out. Sure Price or Lester would have been awesome, or Morneausy, but it didn't happen. DM got a controllable asset beyond this year for a fair price who is really going to help us down the stretch. We're set at OF for this year as well as the next, and maybe beyond that even.

If I was to look at this team and assess what it needs most I think a left handed hitting bench player who can contribute on both offense and defense would have been high on my list. Well done.

Bingo.

I've long said that your 4th OF and your 5th IF need to be guys with whom you're comfortable as long-stretch everyday starters. That makes for solid depth when everyone's healthy and NOT so much trouble when someone gets hurt. I've liked Schafer for 5 years or more, and he's still an excellent defender w/ good speed, but Parra's a significant upgrade over him on lots of levels including defense.

He is NOT a significant upgrade over Schafer defensively.

Again;

Parra -.3 WAR

Schafer -.2 WAR

Schafer has played more, and Parra is a better bat.

And frankly, if I was to look at this team and what it needed, a legitimate ace is at the very top of that list and then a very good right handed reliever is 2nd. But it's a matter of cost. Like Parra but not at the cost given how he's performed in a hitter friendly park this year.

I don't claim to be a scout but Logan Schafer has never passed the eye test for me as a major league baseball player, nor has he done anything to give anyone hope that he could one day be just that. This seems to be another case of a guy coming up through our system who posters fall in love with during the journey through the ranks, and subsequently overvalue and make excuses for. Fits right in the mold of Taylor Green. I don't care if you give them 1000 at bats up here, they're just not good at the game of big league baseball.

I think some of you are vastly underrating what went on here today, and you had your sights set on blockbuster deals. We solved 4 things with this trade.

3) Bolstered the bench significantly, we will no longer have to see nearly as many Logan Schafer or Elian Herrera making clutch PH at bats.

Are we seriously in here debating Mitch freaking Haniger? Give me a break. If you want to live in the land of hope go be a Twins fan, they have so many "can't miss prospects" you can't even count them all. See how that works out. Sure Price or Lester would have been awesome, or Morneausy, but it didn't happen. DM got a controllable asset beyond this year for a fair price who is really going to help us down the stretch. We're set at OF for this year as well as the next, and maybe beyond that even.

Well said. Well said... I'm still holding out hope of a waiver claim trade for Morneau. If that's even possible.

Don't undervalue Haniger just because some prospects flame out.

I remember back in '08 people musing that they hoped the PTBNL wasn't Lucroy with some saying "Who cares?? We got CC!"

Tell me how that would be working out for us now in hindsight.

All great players were once "prospects".

Well said. Well said... I'm still holding out hope of a waiver claim trade for Morneau. If that's even possible.

It's possible if the Rockies put him on waivers and someone with a worse record then the Brewers doesn't claim him.

It's possible if the Rockies put him on waivers and someone with a worse record then the Brewers doesn't claim him.

Yeah, I get that but it doesn't seem likely as he is only being paid $1.5 million and we have one of the better records in the league. You'd think other teams would grab him, especially a team that is trying to catch us.

I remember back in '08 people musing that they hoped the PTBNL wasn't Lucroy with some saying "Who cares?? We got CC!"

Maybe, but nearly all of those great players fell onto top 100 prospect lists at one time. Haniger doesn't fit that description and has never been in the discussion.

If you're going to play at the trade deadline, this is exactly the type of deal you make. Parra will help the Brewers, honestly, I don't see how anyone could doubt that. Haniger is definitely a prospect, he's a young man who will have a nice major league career, IF things work out for him, but he's not the kind of prospect that ruins an organization if he reaches his ceiling somewhere else.

Arizona got a real prospect, which they should have, and the Brewers got an upgrade for the playoff run, which they should have.

To me, both teams did fine, and now we watch and see who "wins" the trade.

The Brewers got exactly what they hoped for in Sabathia, and the Indians, though they got four players, wound up with Michael Brantley. He was a big part of that trade, but he wasn't even, "the guy", that was Matt LaPorta, who didn't pan out.

You never know, and we won't for a while, but at this point in time, this was a solid move by both GMs.

If you're going to play at the trade deadline, this is exactly the type of deal you make. Parra will help the Brewers, honestly, I don't see how anyone could doubt that. Haniger is definitely a prospect, he's a young man who will have a nice major league career, IF things work out for him, but he's not the kind of prospect that ruins an organization if he reaches his ceiling somewhere else.

Arizona got a real prospect, which they should have, and the Brewers got an upgrade for the playoff run, which they should have.

To me, both teams did fine, and now we watch and see who "wins" the trade.

The Brewers got exactly what they hoped for in Sabathia, and the Indians, though they got four players, wound up with Michael Brantley. He was a big part of that trade, but he wasn't even, "the guy", that was Matt LaPorta, who didn't pan out.

You never know, and we won't for a while, but at this point in time, this was a solid move by both GMs.

I think this is a solid summary. I think some posters have that attitude that unless you absolutely fleece the other team, it's a bad trade. In reality, probably at least 75% of the time, trades tend to be fairly even. You have to "give to get", as they say.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Maybe, but nearly all of those great players fell onto top 100 prospect lists at one time. Haniger doesn't fit that description and has never been in the discussion.

Haniger was a 1st round (sandwich) pick. It's far too early to say what his ceiling is, but you generally don't draft players in the top 40 with the thought process that their upside is limited to a bench role at best at the MLB level.

I can't say for sure what his highest ranking was as a prospect, but I don't recall Lucroy being particularly highly regarded. I think he was seen as a guy with the upside to perhaps be good at everything and excellent at nothing, with a more likely outcome of being an average everyday catcher at the MLB level.

Yep, pretty much agree with this. I like the deal a lot.

This is Brewerfan not talk radio it is perfectly OK to have nuanced opinions, instead of over the top declarations. I think Parra is a significant upgrade even in a bench capacity (normally not a big deal), I also think the Brewers overpaid a little. Going into their respective trades Haniger had way more hype going than Brantly did yet with some time to develop in the bigs he has turned out pretty well ( as have a number of other lower radar level guys from the Brewers system in recent years). I'm not hugely concerned as odds are pretty good Haniger tops out as a 4th OF type/ starter on a weaker team. However he could easily be a league average player for a number of years as well and that is nothing to sneeze at losing. I'll take it that the Brewers felt he was perhaps stagnating somewhat and not continuing to develop.

Archived