Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire OF Gerardo Parra from Arizona; prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda to D-backs

yoyomayoma

I really like how he fits as a 4th outfielder for this team. I really dont like the price the brewers paid for him.

I think Haniger is being really undervalued here... The kid would have been pushing for time in milwaukee next season, thats a big loss. All I can think is that DM and co think that Taylor will be ready at the time that gomez gets traded, thats a tight timeline. Haniger showed to power to play one of the corners too, but braun and davis are both under control for the foreseeable future. Given that it makes sense to move him but I think the return was low.

On top of that Banda was added, further lopsiding this. He was developing into a REALLY nice player. In his third year out of CC he has moved up a level every year and gotten BETTER at the more advanced level every year, his career arch suggests that he will make a nice pitcher at the MLB level, or he could flame out as is the risk with every minor leaguer. He pitched 40ips then 60 then 80 up a level each time and has given up 40 runs over each level, thats incredible progression. his K to walk ratio got better each year, K to innings pitched, hits to innings pitched, HRs to innings pitched, WHIP has gone down, everything has gotten better with this kid as he's advanced and hes left handed. He is 20, throws 93, and is 2 years younger than the average player in his league. He alone probably could have brought back Parra seeing as how the Dbacks tried drafting him out of highschool and then the gaurenteed him they would take him in the 8-10th round range the next year and the brewers stole him.

Price was way to high, but this trade really helps the brewers, probably get them to the playoffs.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it.

We gave up nothing. The #3 ranked (and probably not even that high any more) and #38 ranked prospects in a bad farm system. Neither of those guys may ever see the majors and my guess is that if they do that neither one of them will have a better career than Parra. Parra is a 2 time gold glover!

Seems like a logical platoon situation in left now. Also good playoff teams have good bench depth. This is a HUGE upgrade over Schafer.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I don't see how Haniger pushes for time in Milwaukee next year, he hasn't even been good at Huntsville. He would have at best started in Nashville with the way the Brewers like to make their players succeed at every level before being promoted. Plus he is right handed which doesn't help his chances with three firmly entrenched right handed outfielders.

Logan Schafer has hit 183/267/288 this year.

Gerardo Parra has hit 259/305/362 this year.

I'd classify that as a significant upgrade.

Sure, if we don't take into account what we had to trade.

For the record, Parra has been worth -.3 WAR this year. Schafer -.2 WAR.

Parra's defense has not been very good this year by either fangraphs or BBRef measures.

But he is a marginal upgrade off the bench.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Wow, I can't believe the rampant speculation here. Parra is a nice fit for a a need they had- period. A fairly significant upgrade over Schaefer. Braun and Gomez are not 100%, that's just not true. Hanniger is a fair price to pay, and I won't lose any sleep over it. Especially since we get Parra for next year as well, which is a nice bridge to Ramirez, Rodgers, Taylor, or some other 4th OF for the 2106 season.

It doesn't mean Davis is being traded, Braun is moving to 1st, or anything else. Usually the easiest explanation is the right one. A little amazed by the feedback here, just seems like a fairly straightforward comoon sense trade to me.

Someone commented that Parra was only worth an extra 1-2 hits every 5 days. That's actually probably a little high. More importantly that is a large amount of extra offense. If we simplify that to an extra hit per week, the season is 6 months * 4 weeks = 24 extra hits. Even though he is just a bench guy, I think there is a solid chance Parra hits enough to be worth an extra win the last couple of months. If for no other reason than he probably gets used more than Schafer was.

I don't see how Haniger pushes for time in Milwaukee next year, he hasn't even been good at Huntsville. He would have at best started in Nashville with the way the Brewers like to make their players succeed at every level before being promoted. Plus he is right handed which doesn't help his chances with three firmly entrenched right handed outfielders.

He has been VERY good at Huntsville. He had a disastrous April, and then proceeded to be on of the best hitters in the league for the next two months and was probably very close to a promotion when he got hurt. His OPS was over 1000 in june when he got hurt. Hes a very good player with a nice ceiling, not a super star but nice controllable talent. I think you are undervaluing him is all. Its my opinion that the brewers overpaid by quite a bit for what they got back thats all.

Logan Schafer has hit 183/267/288 this year.

Gerardo Parra has hit 259/305/362 this year.

I'd classify that as a significant upgrade.

Sure, if we don't take into account what we had to trade.

For the record, Parra has been worth -.3 WAR this year. Schafer -.2 WAR.

Parra's defense has not been very good this year by either fangraphs or BBRef measures.

But he is a marginal upgrade off the bench.

I maintain that Haniger is no real loss, he hasn't had any success outside of Wisconsin. Schafer has better hitting stats in A+ and in AA. Mitch may well have a higher ceiling but tools are useless if they don't yield any production.

Sure, Parra and Schafer have similar WAR this year but that is a counting stat and Gerardo has 300 more plate appearances. What would Schafer's WAR be if he had 440 plate appearances instead of 109? Considerably worse.

Parra averaged 3 WAR a year between 2010 & 2012 with a 99 wRC+. If Haniger produces a single full 3 WAR season with league average batting I will be surprised.

Nobody said he would have started the year for the Brewers next year(though possible given how he performed this past spring training).

I think there are some very short memories on here. Haniger was a guy everyone was talking about coming out of this spring training on this board.

Jim Callis - With 96 minutes to go, OF Mitch Haniger leads the Best Prospect traded on deadline day race

This is a guy who excelled in the AFL, who hit ~.300/.400 last year in A ball and came into camp this year and played great vs big league pitching.

And yes, he very well could have pushed for PT in Milwaukee next year. If you are arguing that he would have likely started the year in AAA, how can you argue that he wouldn't have pushed for PT in Milwaukee next year? He can play all 3 OF spots and has produced when healthy.

I really like how he fits as a 4th outfielder for this team. I really dont like the price the brewers paid for him.

This is exactly where I am at. I am happy we added an upgrade to our outfield. Parra can hit some, and he's stellar defensively. But I do not like giving Haniger up at all.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I maintain that Haniger is no real loss, he hasn't had any success outside of Wisconsin. Schafer has better hitting stats in A+ and in AA. Mitch may well have a higher ceiling but tools are useless if they don't yield any production.

You can keep saying he hasn't had any success outside of Wisconsin, but that's not true. He was very good in the AFL, he was outstanding in ST'ing, and he was very good in AA after struggling early on;

May-.314/.375/.382

June-.283/.313/.696

And it's not like BC is a hitters haven, especially for right handers. So a .720 OPS is successful season for his second year in pro ball.

Sure, Parra and Schafer have similar WAR this year but that is a counting stat and Gerardo has 300 more plate appearances. What would Schafer's WAR be if he had 440 plate appearances instead of 109? Considerably worse.

Well that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of him, is it? Parra's only got a lower WAR because he's played more. Alright. He's still got a negative WAR for the year.

Parra averaged 3 WAR a year between 2010 & 2012 with a 99 wRC+. If Haniger produces a single full 3 WAR season with league average batting I will be surprised.

And if we traded Haniger for a 25 year old Parra, I wouldn't be complaining.

But I'm not comparing the trade using Parra's 3 peak years. I'm comparing him using this year where he's put up a -.3 WAR and has not been good defensively.

Braun isn't completely healthy, and he won't be the rest of this season. He needs days off to keep his thumb/oblique/other ailments from flaring up. Gomez needs a day off every 1.5 weeks to keep fresh at this point of the season, too. These two players are needed to stay healthy during the stretch run, and they've already been spelled on occasion by Schafer. Parra doing that is a roster upgrade. Parra giving Davis a day off a bit more often than that is an upgrade also, especially against RHP.

Over the course of 10 consecutive games against RHP, if Parra starts around 6 of them (3-4 in LF, 1-2 in CF, 1-2 in RF), it's no different than what the current off day schedule is for Braun and Gomez. Add a few PH opportunities and late inning defensive replacement assignments, and Parra's essentially an everyday player. I ask, why not?

Braun just mentioned the other day that he is finally feeling healthy. I'm not saying he won't get a day or two off the rest of the way, but he hasn't had a day off since the AS break and hasn't needed one. And that's been about 3 weeks.

And Gomez had a day off exactly one day in the second half last year. He missed a 6 day stretch with an injury, a 2 game stretch with an injury, and another game for a suspension.

Braun and Gomez getting 1-2 days off every 10 days is a huge stretch. If they're healthy, it won't be a reality, nor should it be. Barring injuries he should start 2-3 games every 10, mostly for Davis and always against RHP. Plus perhaps some pinch hitting and an occasional defensive replacement.

The thing is, the brewers are not getting those 9 wins from 10-12, the are getting a half win, maybe, this season and a win or two, maybe, next season. I can all but guarantee, barring injury, haniger crushes that win number for the first 5/6 years of his big league career. Not to mention the lefty with 93mph stuff that was really turning into a nice player.

Nobody said he would have started the year for the Brewers next year(though possible given how he performed this past spring training).

I think there are some very short memories on here. Haniger was a guy everyone was talking about coming out of this spring training on this board.

Jim Callis - With 96 minutes to go, OF Mitch Haniger leads the Best Prospect traded on deadline day race

This is a guy who excelled in the AFL, who hit ~.300/.400 last year in A ball and came into camp this year and played great vs big league pitching.

And yes, he very well could have pushed for PT in Milwaukee next year. If you are arguing that he would have likely started the year in AAA, how can you argue that he wouldn't have pushed for PT in Milwaukee next year? He can play all 3 OF spots and has produced when healthy.

^^ This ^^

I give little credence to Spring Training breakouts, every year there are tons of nobodies who light it up in the spring to never be heard from again. I also take AFL stats with a grain of salt as it is a notoriously hitter friendly league. Sure, The Wisconsin numbers are nice but he has slashed 250/323/396 in Brevard and 255/316/416 at Huntsville, both marks barely above league average.

Starting in AAA and pushing for playing time in MLB are two very different things. The 9 players with the most at bats in Nashville are Hector Gomez, Sean Halton, Caleb Gindl, Eugenio Velez, Hunter Morris, Pete Orr, Jeremy Hermida, Kevin Mattison and Irving Falu. How many of them have really pushed for playing time in Milwaukee?

This is exactly where I am at. I am happy we added an upgrade to our outfield. Parra can hit some, and he's stellar defensively. But I do not like giving Haniger up at all.

I haven't seen the Price to Detroit deal. I've seen rumors, but nothing more. You have a link?

I haven't seen the Price to Detroit deal. I've seen rumors, but nothing more. You have a link?

Front page of ESPN.com.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived