Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire OF Gerardo Parra from Arizona; prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda to D-backs

yoyomayoma
  • Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I keep seeing people on various locations of this site speculating that the Parra addition might prompt a trade sending out Davis and I'm absolute perplexed by the notion. I just don't see the logic there. I can't be the only one scratching my head at the suggestion.

I think we posted almost simultaneously. There's absolutely no way that Gerardo Parra starts over Khris Davis. No way.

Parra is a below avg offensive player. Davis will start. We strengthened our bench here. Are the Brewers not as excited about Haniger as we thought? Seems we could have called up Gindl to replace Schafer and gotten a player more suited to our needs (decent defender, good offensive potential)

I keep seeing people on various locations of this site speculating that the Parra addition might prompt a trade sending out Davis and I'm absolute perplexed by the notion. I just don't see the logic there. I can't be the only one scratching my head at the suggestion.

I think we posted almost simultaneously. There's absolutely no way that Gerardo Parra starts over Khris Davis. No way.

Yeah, I'm glad to see some Davis supporters chiming in. He's being seriously underrated in here today.

Parra's a "bench player" only by the definition of him being the primary backup/quasi platoon mate to all 3 OF positions. He'll likely end up getting almost everyday OF ABs simply by how often he's in the starting lineup as a LF, RF, or CF.

Why? Gomez and Braun are, by all accounts, completely healthy. Other than maybe 1 day off each the rest of the way, what reason would we ever have to try to give Braun or Gomez less ABs?

I would sure hope we didn't trade for a .667 OPSing outfielder to steal ABs away from 2 of our best hitters.

I think that the Brewers offered Jimmy Nelson, Clint Coulter & Tyler Thornburg (i.e. PTBNL) for David Price

Tampa Bay countered with Nelson & Gennett

No way do the Brewers trade Scooter

We might see Nelson & Davis for 1.5 years of David Price

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Braun isn't completely healthy, and he won't be the rest of this season. He needs days off to keep his thumb/oblique/other ailments from flaring up. Gomez needs a day off every 1.5 weeks to keep fresh at this point of the season, too. These two players are needed to stay healthy during the stretch run, and they've already been spelled on occasion by Schafer. Parra doing that is a roster upgrade. Parra giving Davis a day off a bit more often than that is an upgrade also, especially against RHP.

Over the course of 10 consecutive games against RHP, if Parra starts around 6 of them (3-4 in LF, 1-2 in CF, 1-2 in RF), it's no different than what the current off day schedule is for Braun and Gomez. Add a few PH opportunities and late inning defensive replacement assignments, and Parra's essentially an everyday player. I ask, why not?

Parra's a "bench player" only by the definition of him being the primary backup/quasi platoon mate to all 3 OF positions. He'll likely end up getting almost everyday OF ABs simply by how often he's in the starting lineup as a LF, RF, or CF.

He's a starting-caliber OF who's taking the role of a AAAA reserve, which vastly improves the MLB roster.

Well said. I am a fan of the move. It definitely makes us better.

Here are some good tweets:

McCalvy - Gerardo has no idea where he'll fit into #Brewers OF mix, but he knows this: "The play hard and they play happy. I love that."

Vassallo - Parra has 62 assists since 2009, trailing only Bautista (63) among OF.

Jim Callis - With 96 minutes to go, OF Mitch Haniger leads the Best Prospect traded on deadline day race

Wrt Callis: world's tallest midget situation.

psssst ... RRR started Kotsay over Gomez in CF. Just saying.

This trade doesn't make sense. We gave up a high draft pick for a defense-only OF.

He is an upgrade over Schafer and will be our top LH hitter off the bench. Haniger hasn't really done much since he left Low A ball. I'm not saying he is done as a prospect, but he isn't trending the right direction.

This trade doesn't make sense. We gave up a high draft pick for a defense-only OF.

Parra wRC+ 81

Schafer wRC+ 49

Haniger career minor league OPS 766

Schafer career minor league OPS 781

Haniger may have been a high pick but doesn't look like much more than a 4th OF at this point.

Yeah, I'm glad to see some Davis supporters chiming in. He's being seriously underrated in here today.

Nobody is saying Parra will become the primary LF.

Much more likely Parra starts at most 2-3 times a week vs a righthanded starter who is especially tough on RH batters, but Davis starts the rest of the games. Then Parra could also come in as a defensive replacement in games the Brewers lead late. Davis will still get plenty of at bats.

Parra is also depth at CF/RF in case either Braun/Gomez suffer a minor injury and/or need a day off.

I was worried that basically any significant injury would sink our ship. Now at least we are somewhat covered for an injury to an OF. I like Haniger, but I think Taylor has surpassed him on the depth chart, so with Braun, Gomez and Davis here for years, and Taylor and others in the low minors, I figured Haniger could be one of the guys Melvin would use as trade bait.

All in all, we needed a bench upgrade and we got one. Hopefully we'll upgrade 1B as well.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So we got a rich man's Logan Schafer.

Good bench bat and OF defense but not much else.

He has a canon:

Especially vs Davis's soft tossing arm. Not only will he start vs tons of RHP he will replace Davis when the Brewers have the lead late. 2 gold gloves (2011 and 2013) ... this is a great trade. Good job Doug!

I totally disagree. Haniger has had a poor year in AA, but last year in A ball he hit ~.300/.400 and was impressive in ST'ing.

For a guy who's a 4th OF'er and an arm such as Banda, I'd have hoped for more than just Parra.

I don't see much of an upgrade. But...maybe he'll adjust well to being on a team in contention and he'll be a spark plug for us, but on paper I'm not a big fan. I liked Haniger and I think you're selling low on him (though to be fair, buying low on Parra).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I'd call it more like a quasi-platoon for the entire RH-hitting OF...going to face more RH pitching than anything, and having one of Davis, Gomez, or Braun available to come off the bench during Parra starts will be a nice plus.

I think this is exactly right. Also: We're buying low on Parra, possibly selling high on Banda, and Haniger isn't young for a prospect and has never produced near elite levels. Other than an ace SP (too expensive and not happening anyway) or a clear upgrade at 1b (weirdly elusive), this is the most helpful move we could make. Huge bench upgrade, LH, versatile -- love it.

Nobody is saying Parra will become the primary LF.

Actually that's exactly what multiple people are suggesting with the notion that Davis would be on the move.

I'm right there with you on the likely use of Parra that the Brewers have in mind.

Parra wRC+ 81

Schafer wRC+ 49

Haniger career minor league OPS 766

Schafer career minor league OPS 781

Haniger may have been a high pick but doesn't look like much more than a 4th OF at this point.

This is an absurd oversimplification in my opinion. Haniger had a higher ceiling. Schafer regressing doesn't really have anything to do with Haniger.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived