Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire OF Gerardo Parra from Arizona; prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda to D-backs

yoyomayoma
Please note that Parra's career numbers vs. righties are a .760 OPS and he is hardly old enough to think he is declining. The plurality of the evidence makes Parra a slightly better hitter right now against righties and certainly a better defender.

I am nevously waiting by my computer for the next 90 min because i am almost sold that Davis will be involved in a HUGE DEAL...If not, i will be very disappointed.

I have a feeling you're right... But I hope to hell you're wrong.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please note that Parra's career numbers vs. righties are a .760 OPS and he is hardly old enough to think he is declining. The plurality of the evidence makes Parra a slightly better hitter right now against righties and certainly a better defender.

Davis is 772 career vs righties. However, I agree that Parra isn't declining as he is only six months older than Davis. Still think Davis is a better hitter going forward against righties or lefties but certainly wouldn't object to Parra giving Davis a day off here or there and to substitute Parra for Davis in later innings.

I see no other need for Parra unless we are going to trade Davis.

Really? How about as a PH every night instead of Schaefer? That's reason enough.

But if it isn't, I'm sure they would like to rest Braun more often, but simply can't afford to take him out of the line-up. Parra allows Braun to rest once a week. Similar story with Gomez, Davis. So I would expect 2 starts a week from Parra. Something I'm sure they would have loved to so with Schaefer or Gindl, but couldn't.

Yep, flexibility is great to have. When Gomez is swinging out of his hat every at bat and needs a day off, tough to do when you know 1-4 with a single would be more than you'd get out of Schaefer even with a right-hander on the hill. And when Braun is hobbling and doesn't belong in the lineup, you can sit him knowing there won't be a repeat of:

http://giant.gfycat.com/GenerousUnitedIriomotecat.gif

I think Parra will be the 4th OF and Davis won't be moved. I'll be very surprised if Davis is traded.

I guess i just dont understand why we would trade for a Gold Glover outfielder with good batting #'s against RH's if we are only going to make him a bench player.

I guess i just dont understand why we would trade for a Gold Glover outfielder with good batting #'s against RH's if we are only going to make him a bench player.

Because we have needed a player like this all year coming off of our bench.

Parra's a "bench player" only by the definition of him being the primary backup/quasi platoon mate to all 3 OF positions. He'll likely end up getting almost everyday OF ABs simply by how often he's in the starting lineup as a LF, RF, or CF.

He's a starting-caliber OF who's taking the role of a AAAA reserve, which vastly improves the MLB roster.

So we got a rich man's Logan Schafer.

Good bench bat and OF defense but not much else.

Since they didn't bring him in to be an everyday starter (unless there's an injury), what else is there and what else did you think the Brewers needed in him?

Well, as long as they didn't bring him in to start which you claim, its not that I'm seriously against it. Its that Parra doesn't do much for me. I'd look at any game which Parra starts as a downgrade since one of the 3 starters sits.

Parra makes more sense at the beginning instead of Schafer. I'm not sure what he really offers now. If healthy, how many more days off do you think Braun and Gomez are going to get the rest of the way? Hopefully none to very few, or we're in trouble.

Parra is injury insurance in the OF, a good 4th OF and bench bat, and maybe a late defensive replacement to Davis. Not much else.

Its not that I don't think Parra is worth having, just that to me, an upgrade at 1st and infield depth over Bianchi/Herrera is a higher priority. I understand there just might not be much available.

Parra's a "bench player" only by the definition of him being the primary backup/quasi platoon mate to all 3 OF positions. He'll likely end up getting almost everyday OF ABs simply by how often he's in the starting lineup as a LF, RF, or CF.

He's a starting-caliber OF who's taking the role of a AAAA reserve, which vastly improves the MLB roster.

Well said. I am a fan of the move. It definitely makes us better.

Here are some good tweets:

McCalvy - Gerardo has no idea where he'll fit into #Brewers OF mix, but he knows this: "The play hard and they play happy. I love that."

Vassallo - Parra has 62 assists since 2009, trailing only Bautista (63) among OF.

Jim Callis - With 96 minutes to go, OF Mitch Haniger leads the Best Prospect traded on deadline day race

Because we have needed a player like this all year coming off of our bench.

But if you put a guy on the bench that is used to playing everyday then his odds of being a good offensive player decrease largely. Logan Schafer is a very good defensive player (just like Parra), but if you only play the guy once every 3-5 days you can't expect him to perform to his career numbers....im sorry but unless Davis is unloaded then this trade only nets us 1 or 2 hits every 3-5 games.

Edit: Im just saying that there is something very fishy about this trade and that maybe Davis could be involved in a trade for Price.

I like this trade as I'm a big fan of Parra. He's got a cannon arm and a career .274 BA and .726 OPS vs RHP

Can't help but think that Khris Davis might be part of an offer for Price

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I am nevously waiting by my computer for the next 90 min because i am almost sold that Davis will be involved in a HUGE DEAL...If not, i will be very disappointed.

I have a feeling you're right... But I hope to hell you're wrong.

If the Crew was shopping Davis they wouldn't have already optioned Schafer. Feel free to simply cross your fingers that we also get a 1B.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He can spell Davis against tough righties. Davis is only hitting .235/.288 against righties this year. Parra is .286/.335 lifetime against them.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Parra's splits:

VS RHP: .271 .304 .389 .693

VS LHP: .212 .309 .259 .568

Davis splits:

vs RHP: .232 .288 .435 .723

vs LHP: .319 .357 .604 .962

I think we just found a platoon

Over his career though, this is Parra vs righties

.286 .335 .425 .760

Probably won't be a strict platoon in LF, but more of playing Parra vs righthanded starterS who are especially tough vs RH batters. Plus , he's a top notch defender as a corner OF.

Not a major trade of any kind, but i don't care much about losing Haniger.

This.

Brewers should have pretty incredible outfield defense late in games with a lead. And it's not as if Parra is a stiff at the plate.

I don't like losing Haniger but I won't lose any sleep over it.

I like this trade as I'm a big fan of Parra. He's got a cannon arm and a career .274 BA and .726 OPS vs RHP

Can't help but think that Khris Davis might be part of an offer for Price

Didn't they already option Shafer? I can't believe Davis is getting traded.

Wow, it's surprising me that you guys think Khris Davis is on the move or going to be a 4th OF. I think he's staying in LF and Parra will be the bench player/4th OF. The Brewers see Davis as part of their future. They moved Braun over for him. He's capable of a better OBP. He's already OPS'ing almost .800 and I think he'll likely regularly have an OPS over .800. I really would be shocked if he was traded, and even more shocked if he was made a 4th OF. No way they bench him.

I keep seeing people on various locations of this site speculating that the Parra addition might prompt a trade sending out Davis and I'm absolute perplexed by the notion. I just don't see the logic there. I can't be the only one scratching my head at the suggestion.

I could see Khris Davis sitting vs the toughest RHP and being replaced late in games for defensive purposes, at the very least. Parra will be used more than strictly as a backup. Braun is probably banged up more than we know and could use an extra day or 2 off per week too
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

But if you put a guy on the bench that is used to playing everyday then his odds of being a good offensive player decrease largely. Logan Schafer is a very good defensive player (just like Parra), but if you only play the guy once every 3-5 days you can't expect him to perform to his career numbers....im sorry but unless Davis is unloaded then this trade only nets us 1 or 2 hits every 3-5 games.

Honestly, the Brewers don't need much more than that on offense. Their hitting has been really good all year, it just has slumps from time to time. All teams have that. He is a much better option to start if any of the starting guys get hurt as well. Schafer in the lineup on a daily basis is a black hole.

They are not trading Khris Davis for David Price. I'm not sure what other blockbuster trade could be made. There are no rumblings of such a deal. Giving up an above average outfielder with 5 more years of control to improve the starting pitching (which is a strength for the Brewers) is very short sighted.

Archived