Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire OF Gerardo Parra from Arizona; prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda to D-backs

yoyomayoma
  • Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatever needs to be done to get Tony Plush back in Milwaukee for one last playoff run, get it done.

Please no...

I am all for characters in baseball but his T Plush routine was so forced and barely tolerable when he was playing well in 2011 and became unbearable when he wasn't playing well in 2012.

Thanks for the walk-off in Game 5 and one of the best memories in Brewer history but let's leave that in the past.

Some people some to be under the impression that Gerardo Parra is a special player that needs to be on a lineup card.

He isn't.

Sure yeah, tell that to the Giants! (In Blue because I recognize it is just a small sample, still it was great to see him in the lineup and going deep tonight)

Hey, I'm a Gerardo Parra fan, and have always admired his talent. Was pretty thrilled to see the Brewers trade for him. He's not a superstar but he is a good solid player who grinds out at-bats, plays plus defense and can help a team. He deserves to get some playing time

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Just a thought that came to my mind watching last night's game.

Parra and Sandoval were teammates on the Venezuelan WBC team last year. Could Gerardo plant a thought in Pablo's mind as he enters FA? Maybe tell Pablo what a great hitters park Miller Park is? Sandoval could be too rich for the Brewers, but it's still a nice thought.

Parra and Sandoval were teammates on the Venezuelan WBC team last year. Could Gerardo plant a thought in Pablo's mind as he enters FA? Maybe tell Pablo what a great hitters park Miller Park is? Sandoval could be too rich for the Brewers, but it's still a nice thought.

Why would we want Sandoval instead of just picking up A-Ram's option? A-Ram is still a better player even if he's quite a bit older (but also quite a bit slimmer...)

I like the thought of replacing Ramirez with another good hitter. (Panda bears line .295 / .348 / .470 / .818) ... but I don't see anything that says the Giants won't be giving him a large deal like Zimmerman's 6 year $100 deal. Look at the $16-17 million per year that Zimmerman, Longoria, Wright, Beltre are making. He will get a comparable deal. That won't be good for the Brewers.

I think the idea would be to pick up Aramis's option and slide him to first with Pablo playing third. Though if we're going that route I'd be curious about Headley on a 1 year prove yourself contract.

Parra himself will be an interesting decision as he should top 6 million in Arby's next year. That's a lot of roast beef sandwiches for a 4th outfielder.

I would absolutely pick up Sandoval. Between him and Aram you would have 1st and 3rd solved. I don't care who plays where.

It is probably a moot point because he is going to be really expensive.

Also I like Parra and all but I still consider Davis to be the RF of the future. Parra is a great guy to start maybe 3 times a week at all three OF spots and be your crunch time pinch hitter. But I don't think he should be taking away a lot of AB's from Davis.

Also I like Parra and all but I still consider Davis to be the RF of the future. Parra is a great guy to start maybe 3 times a week at all three OF spots and be your crunch time pinch hitter. But I don't think he should be taking away a lot of AB's from Davis.

We just traded that guy away for Parra, Davis doesn't have the arm to play in RF, nor does Taylor. Coulter would if he ultimately ends up an OF but that would be a worst case scenario for me.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Sandoval is one of the most overrated players in the game. He's a .330 wOBA hitter, and even though defensive metrics sometimes like him I just can't imagine a guy with that body type is a superb defender at 3B (or will continue to be over the next few years). Sandoval is still getting by on reputation from the hitter he was five years ago.

The Brewers could get better overall production by moving Braun to 1B and tendering a contract to Parra to play RF.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Let's look at money for next year - assuming you keep Gallardo and A-Ram, let go of Estrada, and give modest increases to Maldonado and Kintzler, we are committed to $82 million (see numbers below). That leaves us with about $20 million to spend, assuming payroll stays about the same. You still need to fill 1B, four back up spots, and your bullpen is questionable. A signing like Big Panda would eat up $14-15 million of our free cash - which limits us in a lot of areas.

We could move Braun to 1B, add in Parra for $6 million to play RF (assuming we like how he plays), spend a few million on a few decent back ups, then maybe ink a reliever or two. I don't like overspending for a closer, but I have a feeling that's exactly what Melvin will do. He seems to value having a proven veteran in that closer spot.

If Parra isn't starting next year, it's not worth paying him $6 million a year. But I like taking the risk on him. He's having a tough 2014, but from 2011-13, he had 2.6. 1.8 and 4.6 WAR, respectively. He's only 27, so he shouldn't be in decline. I don't expect a 4 WAR, but 2-2.5 isn't out of the question. With no one at AA or AAA, you could even consider offering him a 2-year / $10 million deal or something like that.

Lucroy - 3 million

Maldonado - 1

1B - 0

Scooter - 0.5

Segura - 0.5

A-Ram - 14

Davis - 0.5

Gomez - 8

Braun - 13

BU IF - 0

BU IF - 0

BU OF - 0

BU OF - 0

Gallardo - 13

Garza - 12.5

Nelson - 0.5

Peralta - 0.5

Lohse - 11

Henderson - 0.5

Kintzler - 1

Smith - 0.5

Jeffress - 0.5

Thornburg - 0.5

Wooten - 0.5

Fiers - 0.5

Total: $82 million

Sandoval is one of the most overrated players in the game. He's a .330 wOBA hitter, and even though defensive metrics sometimes like him I just can't imagine a guy with that body type is a superb defender at 3B (or will continue to be over the next few years). Sandoval is still getting by on reputation from the hitter he was five years ago.

The Brewers could get better overall production by moving Braun to 1B and tendering a contract to Parra to play RF.

Giants have 2 ex-players in their TV booth, Kuiper and Krukow, and both lavish praise on Sandoval's defense. I don't think his offense is overrated at all. He plays in a pitcher's park. BR has his WAR this year so far at 3.9.

I would just let Ramirez walk and replace him with Sandoval and go after another Giant, Mike Morse to play 1B.

I like what Parra brings to the table for us in his role right now, but regardless of how the deck chairs are rearranged making him a starter next year to effectively replace Reynolds/Overbay in the line-up is a very modest improvement at best (the exact defensive worth of the guys getting moved around makes it tricky to really evaluate the total value). As an ultra-low cost move to put the money elsewhere it is potentially OK, but not if we are paying 5-6 million for Parra. Sandoval at a higher salary seems way more attractive.

Pretty sure Fondy meant LF, but I'd wager Haniger would have had a tough time beating out Braun for the title of "RF of the future" considering he's signed through 2020 with a 2021 option.

If you think Braun will last in RF for the rest of his career which I personally doubt very much.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Sandoval's WAR this season is driven almost entirely by defensive metrics, but like I said, good luck if you want to pay a premium salary for a guy with weight issues and an extensive injury history being an elite defensive 3B over the life of a free agent deal. I just don't see how anyone considers him a premium player unless they still think he's the guy who will hit .330 with 25 HR like he was way back in 2009. Kind of like Cespedes, he's treated like an elite player simply because he's a fan favorite and does exciting things sometimes (like 3 HR in one game), but overall he's really not that amazing.

From 2012-2014, Sandoval has a .333 wOBA versus Parra's .311 wOBA. But Parra is one of the best defenders in baseball.

Do we need to offer Parra arbitration? Are we allowed to let him become a FA and sign him? Something in my head says if we don't offer arbitration we can't sign him until June.

Braun cannot play the IF very well. We will not be moving him there.

Sandoval will be like Prince and Howard. Signed to a huge deal that fans will love for a year or two. Then the drastic downturn in ability will damage the franchise. The Brewers cannot overcome these types of contracts.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Sandoval is highly overrated by who exactly?

I think most people grasp that he's an above average overall player at his position, but nowhere near a special player like he looked to have a chance to be after that great season in 2009. I wouldn't target him as a free agent if hypothetically i was the Brewers GM, but he is a good and consistent enough player to be worth a sizable contract which the Giants or another team will end up paying him.

Let me ask a simply question. In 2015 are we a better team with Braun at first and Parra in right than we are currently. I say, 'yes'. So, it seems to be an easy choice. You make your palyoff worthy 2014 offense and defense better in 2015, for less money. Seems a no brainer to me.

Braun is an atrocious infielder. Parra isn't a very good hitter either. You don't make room for a guy with a career .313 wOBA. That's only marginally better than we are receiving this year at 1B. Small gain on offense, maybe. Probable overall loss on defense. I would think it is a lateral move at best. Go out and find a 3B or 1B.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived