Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Wheeler?

Just turned 26 and has hit well in the minors... Kind of reminds me of a Mat Gamel type without the injuries.

Any interest for the BreCrew to help beyond this year at 3B or 1B? Would be cheap.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/rockies-designate-ryan-wheeler-for-assignment.html

Sure. Left handed bat with some potential who can play 1st, 3rd or LF? Absolutely.

If he's really cheap. I'd build an entire AAA team with guys like this and hope that you find a couple late developing talents.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I agree totally that why i liiked the Matt Clark addition.

I'll throw Jeremy Hermedia into that mix. Though at his age, you're hoping more for a guy who can be a nice bat off the bench(I would have liked to have seen him given a chance by the way as he was playing well in AAA).

But some guys like Gomez take longer to develop. Obviously Wheeler doesn't have the upside Gomez had, but the point remains the same.

I'd advise against Wheeler who's played in the most hitter friendly AAA stops imaginable, Reno and Colorado Springs. He put up nice numbers in Reno in 2012 but a lot of guys do. Yes the sample size is small, but his major league numbers are uninspiring to say the least, a .574 OPS outside of Coors. If he was any good, Colorado would hold on to him as possible Morneau successor. They don't think he's good enough.

I'd advise against Wheeler who's played in the most hitter friendly AAA stops imaginable, Reno and Colorado Springs. He put up nice numbers in Reno in 2012 but a lot of guys do. Yes the sample size is small, but his major league numbers are uninspiring to say the least, a .574 OPS outside of Coors. If he was any good, Colorado would hold on to him as possible Morneau successor. They don't think he's good enough.

If Minnesota thought Carlos Gomez was good enough they would have kept him. Sometimes players simply develop after leaving an organization.

Sometimes players develop later. I don't see what possible harm there is to adding a player who's produced at a high level in the minor leagues and is still young to your AAA team. Especially when it's at a position of need.

There is a list of players a mile long you could say the same thing about. "If they were any good, this team would have kept him," before they move on and become good or even great players for another team.

Sure, he probably won't, but that doesn't mean he's not worth a look.

If Minnesota thought Carlos Gomez was good enough they would have kept him. Sometimes players simply develop after leaving an organization.

Sometimes players develop later. I don't see what possible harm there is to adding a player who's produced at a high level in the minor leagues and is still young to your AAA team. Especially when it's at a position of need.

There is a list of players a mile long you could say the same thing about. "If they were any good, this team would have kept him," before they move on and become good or even great players for another team.

Minnesota traded Gomez for a SS who's name escapes me. Oh yeah, JJ Hardy. That hardly compares with being put on waivers. Wheeler's a AAA bat that puts up good numbers in hitters havens. He's done little in the majors or at minor league stops that aren't as hitter friendly. Brewers have comparable guys right now in their system in Morris and Clark. Put Hunter Morris in Reno and he'd put up .900 OPS as would Sean Halton.

Minnesota traded Gomez for a SS who's name escapes me. Oh yeah, JJ Hardy. That hardly compares with being put on waivers. Wheeler's a AAA bat that puts up good numbers in hitters havens. He's done little in the majors or at minor league stops that aren't as hitter friendly. Brewers have comparable guys right now in their system in Morris and Clark. Put Hunter Morris in Reno and he'd put up .900 OPS as would Sean Halton.

First of all, where did I say it was the EXACT same situation? I can't honestly fathom why you HAVE to play devils advocate on nearly every situation. What exactly did I say that was objectionable? That sometimes teams give up on young players and those players go on to have success elsewhere.

Second, are you suggesting if the Twins believe Carlos Gomez was going to be this good they would have traded him for Hardy and then almost immediately given up on Hardy? Because that was ALL I said.

"IF Minnesota thought Carlos Gomez was good enough, they would have kept him." What's the difference if they waived him, or traded him or non-tendered him like David Ortiz?

Yes, they traded Gomez for JJ Hardy, a player they thought so highly of they turned around and traded him after 101 games for greats such as Brett Jacobsen and and Jim Hoey. Carlos Gomez was 23 years old and the Twins gave up on him for 101 games of JJ Hardy and two nobodies.

Not to mention Hardy had an OPS+ of 75 when he was traded and have little value. That Hardy saw a resurgence is of absolutely no consequence here OTHER than it actually proves my point. At the time the O's traded for him, you would have been against it citing his poor line the past two years and saying, "if he was that good, the Brewers wouldn't have sent him down to the minors and then traded him."

But I honestly fail to see your point here. Are you arguing with the premise of my statement that there are a lot of players who fail with their initial teams and then find success elsewhere?

Must I honestly provide a list to satisfy you here?

But the argument against taking a flier on a left handed hitting 3RD basemen who can also play 1st and in the OF when we have zero depth at AAA at 3rd base is because you believe that our 1st basemen could approximate his OPS and...."if he was that good, the Rockies wouldn't have given up on him." Well, unless either Halton or the injured Morris can play 3rd base, that conjecture is irrelevant.

My argument for adding him..."why not, we don't have anyone and he's been a very productive player in the minors and is young...and he's a left handed bat."

I'm curious, did you object to adding Jeremy Hermedia to our minor league roster? I guess I'm just a little confused as to why someone would be so vehemently against adding anyone who's hit like Wheeler has to our AAA team?

Archived