Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals get Lackey from Red Sox, Allen Craig & Joe Kelly to BOS

Blancofan1
I think that they also get Lackey in 2015 at league minimum because he missed a year for TJ? Can anybody shed light on this?
The Cards announcers mentioned the issue. They said that if Lackey wants to stay around next year that the Cards would re-work his deal.

You have to realize though, any pitcher that toes the rubber for St. Louis will be the death of the Brewers... We have made a lot of Cardinals pitchers look like Aces over the years, looks like both Lackey and Masterson are next in line...
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I don't think many of you realize how awful Craig has been this year.

Relative to his past success, it's stunning but he's certainly capable of rebounding. His BABIP this year is .281. His K rate is up slightly. I still think he's a dangerous hitter going forward.

Surprised they'd give up on Kelly. That injured hamstring set him back but I love his stuff and athleticism.

Lackey's postseason experience is a plus but they have to get there first and I don't think this deal helps their chances much if at all.

I love how some media members have taken St Louis to win the division after the deadline... they did nothing to address their offense other than get rid of one of their top power bats of the last couple seasons. #bestfansinbaseballbias

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Getting rid of Craig is addition by subtraction. Where could they really have improved their offense?

They just picked up Pierzynski to fill Molina's spot. Their infield is Carpenter, Peralta, Wong and Adams. Wong is the weakest hitter in the bunch but he's one of their top prospects and there were really no significant upgrades at 2B on the market. Holliday, Jay, Bourjos and Taveras is a full outfield rotation.

On paper, or more appropriately a spreadsheet in this day & age, they're still the best team in the division. Luckily the games are played on a field and not a computer screen. Let's hope this 2 game cushion is enough.

Getting rid of Craig is addition by subtraction. Where could they really have improved their offense?

They just picked up Pierzynski to fill Molina's spot. Their infield is Carpenter, Peralta, Wong and Adams. Wong is the weakest hitter in the bunch but he's one of their top prospects and there were really no significant upgrades at 2B on the market. Holliday, Jay, Bourjos and Taveras is a full outfield rotation.

On paper, or more appropriately a spreadsheet in this day & age, they're still the best team in the division. Luckily the games are played on a field and not a computer screen. Let's hope this 2 game cushion is enough.

Holliday/Jay/Bourjos/Taveras is a really pitiful outfield, given the way Taveras has been incapable of hitting major league pitching.

Matt Carpenter has the highest OBP and is tied for the lead in wRC+ among NL 3B. Peralta is the 3rd best SS in the NL offensively behind Tulo & Hanley. Holliday has a 124 wRC+ in a down year. I think there's still plenty of punch there.

Taveras has been incapable so far in 100 sporadic plate appearances, let's see what happens when he gets settled in and knows he'll be in the lineup everyday.

I hope you're both right, though.

You have to realize though, any pitcher that toes the rubber for St. Louis will be the death of the Brewers... We have made a lot of Cardinals pitchers look like Aces over the years, looks like both Lackey and Masterson are next in line...

For some reason today while thinking about Lackey becoming a Cardinal I immediately thought of Chris Carpenter. Not so much as a pitching style but as a guy who could easily assume the mantel of acting like a jerk, being holier than thou, and totally beloved by Cardinal fans as a "Classy guy and upholder of the unwritten rules." A guy who can find a beef with every other team but someone he's portrayed as they guy being wronged.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/02/06/after-bruising-years-lackey-ready-take-mound/nhKG5WSols2ANMt1GKtKUP/story.html

I just hope he doesn't somehow find a couple year hot streak like you mentioned that seems to go along with the Sainthood.

I love this trade as a Brewers fan. Kelly has a great arm, can throw 96-97 and is young. He just struck me as the type who would have that one really big blow up inning, but is young.

And Craig's foot is injured, but he's been really good and is also pretty young.

Lackey on the other hand...meh. He's a nice pitcher, but I don't know that he's a guy I'd pick over our top 4.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived