Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals get Lackey from Red Sox, Allen Craig & Joe Kelly to BOS

Blancofan1

Just reported on MLB network. Looks like it was for Joe Kelley and Allan Craig.

Lackey going there is virtually the same as Masterson in my eyes. Innings eaters but not game changers.

edit--added details. Happy to see them give those two up for Lackey.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Just reported on MLB network. No details yet

Lackey going there is virtually the same as Masterson in my eyes. Innings eaters but not game changers.

They are saying that Craig and Joe Kelly have been moved to SOMEWHERE....was it to Boston?

WOW! What an overpay by St. Louis. I hate that move if I am a Cardinals fan.

Wainwright-Masterson-Lackey in Games 1-3...is that better than Lohse-Gallardo-Garza? Now take away Craig from the lineup and the Cards have: Adams, Wong, Peralta, Carpenter, Holiday, Bourjos, Taveras, Pierzynski....

I like our chances versus the Cards a ton better today than yesterday.

Wow...alright, Kelly has been getting hit, but still...I'd rather face Lackey right NOW than him. He's got a great arm. And they're dumping Craig?

Not the moves I expected the Cards to make.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

so Masterson and Lackey are essentially replacements for Wacha and Kelly/Garcia in the Cards' opening day rotation.

meh - to me that just makes the Cardinals' rotation older and more expensive. Whether Wacha makes it back healthy and productive this season is actually the pitching move that scares me the most.

I thought Allen Craig to Boston made sense at some point - he's the type of corner OF/1b/DH, RH bat that can play well in Fenway, and at some point Taveras and Adams need to play everyday in STL.

Boston's having a great trade deadline that should set them up to reload quickly this offseason, IMO.

I don't think many of you realize how awful Craig has been this year.

True but to ignore 3 straight seasons of a .300+ Avg isn't easy

Boston has made some great moves for these expiring contracts

Yeah, but he has to return to norms next year at least a little bit, right?

Maybe. On the flip side the Cardinals get Lackey for the league minimum next year, so that's likely to be more valuable than Craig if he rebounds anyways.

Feelings in St. Louis are mixed, but mostly positive on this deal. Boston thinks they were robbed. Personally, I'm glad to be rid of Craig so we can see just what Tavares can do playing every day.

Kelly is another matter. I hate to see him go. Will this trade help the Cards to stay in the post season hunt? Big question mark.

Yep.

And Lackey is being waaaaaaay undersold.

Not to mention the fact that he makes league minimum next year.

Unfortunately a great deal for the Cardinals imo.

Craig has been bad this year, but hes always been a Brewers killer, so im glad hes out of the division

@BrewersHank: Allen Craig vs #Brewers this season. .375/.444/.813/1.257 3HR 7 RBIs, 26 total bases in 32ABs with 4BB. #BrewersKiller @Haudricourt

@BrewersHank: Allen Craig's 2014 OPS vs NL Central opponents:

.417 vs Cubs

.490 vs Reds

.459 vs Pitt

1.257 vs Mil

#BrewersKiller #GoodRiddance

Im not going to say too much else other than Yadier Molina is probably the reason most of these Cards trades work out on the pitching side. He's the best at calling games, blocking pitches, and throwing out runners. These 2 trades by the Cards are very weird especially since AJ is now their catcher for only about a month....i guess we will just have to wait and see.

Archived