Brewer Fanatic

Red Sox trade Jon Lester & Jonny Gomes to A's for Yoenis Cespedes

StearnsFTW
How much longer was Cespedes under control for?

Through 2015.

Baseball reference says:

2014 Contract Status: Signed, 4 yrs/$36M (12-15) (details) [*]

Service Time (01/2014): 2.000, Arb Eligible: 2016, Free Agent: 2018 [*], Agents: Wasserman Media Group [*]

Apparently Cespedes has a clause in his contract that allows him to hit the free market after the 2015 season and avoid arbitration per article on MLBTradeRumors.com

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cespedes will bring the Red Sox a much-needed outfield bat, though he’s only under team control through the 2015 season due to a clause in his contract that allows him to forego arbitration and hit the free agent market after his initial four-year term. He’s slated to earn $10.5MM next season — the same sum that he is owed in 2014. John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle tweets that Cespedes recently voiced a disinterest in playing center field with the A’s, but he did so through a teammate rather than by approaching manager Bob Melvin directly, which likely didn’t sit well with the team

How much longer was Cespedes under control for?

Through 2015.

Baseball reference says:

2014 Contract Status: Signed, 4 yrs/$36M (12-15) (details) [*]

Service Time (01/2014): 2.000, Arb Eligible: 2016, Free Agent: 2018 [*], Agents: Wasserman Media Group [*]

MLB Network reports he has wording in his contract that says the team has to release him after 2015, so instead of the normal six year "team control," his contract only gives the team four years of "control."

Shows that Boston is still planning on being a contender next year. They lose two guys they were going to lose anyhow (and rumors are they'll re-sign Lester), they get a middle-of-the-order bat they need for next year, and they get a comp pick to help their farm. Pretty good trade for them.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Personally - I think it is a bad idea. They have absolutely no hitting on that team. And it just got worse. I don't see how this ends as a net positive for them.

Who has no hitting? The A's? They lead the AL in runs scored.

That is true, because they draw a ton of walks and have a high on base %. Batting average wise they only have 3 starters hitting over .260. That is what I meant with no hitting. They have 399 walks this year where as the Brewers have 271.

I don't really get this move from the A's perspective either unless they plan on trading for a bat now.

But even for the Red Sox this move only makes sense if they make some moves in the offseason so they can compete next year. Otherwise getting Cespedes for only 1 year doesn't make sense.

Red Sox probably aren't done. They are trying to trade Lackey and personally I would love to get Napoli some how.

I don't really get this move from the A's perspective either unless they plan on trading for a bat now.

But even for the Red Sox this move only makes sense if they make some moves in the offseason so they can compete next year. Otherwise getting Cespedes for only 1 year doesn't make sense.

Red Sox probably aren't done. They are trying to trade Lackey and personally I would love to get Napoli some how.

Yes, please.

All 2014 stats: (right-hander vs. LHP/left-hander vs. RHP)

Kyle Vogt (Blanks/Stephen) OPS splits: .890/.920

Jonny Reddick (Gomes/Josh) OPS splits .831/.843

They also get away from the burden of having to play Cespedes every day because they're paying him big bucks. Those are their 2 corner OF platoons and you can throw Moss/Gentry in there (Gentry is more of a defensive guy, though).

Just reported that the A's now traded Tommy Milone to the Twins for a platoon partner for Gomes. Beanne is really going for it this year

edit--looks like the player going to the A's from Minnesota will be Sam Fuld. looks like a good trade for the Twins to me

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

So my understanding is that Cespedes can become a free agent after 2015, and Lester's on the last year of his contract so he'll be a free agent after this season.

When I first saw the trade, it sounded like a lot to give up for a half-season of Lester, but then I looked up Cespedes. Since his first year in the league where he put up a wRC+ of 137, he's been just a bit above average at the plate. Just back of the envelope, Cespedes is owed about $15MM for the next 1.4 seasons, at his current production level he wouldn't be worth significantly more than that.

Lester will give them a nasty four-man playoff rotation of Lester - Gray - Kazmir - Samarzdzdzzzijjja, though I'm not sure if Kazmir or Samardzija goes to the pen if they go to three men.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Personally - I think it is a bad idea. They have absolutely no hitting on that team. And it just got worse. I don't see how this ends as a net positive for them.

Who has no hitting? The A's? They lead the AL in runs scored.

That is true, because they draw a ton of walks and have a high on base %. Batting average wise they only have 3 starters hitting over .260. That is what I meant with no hitting. They have 399 walks this year where as the Brewers have 271.

I know about 7 people who still use batting average as a useful metric. The A's lead the AL in runs. Runs >>>>>>>>>>> Batting average. You're using 'hitting' as a catch-all phrase for I don't know what. Batting average? I don't mean to be snide, but who cares? The A's score runs, lots of them, and lead the majors in run differential. They got rid of a guy who had a terrible OBP, and added a top of the rotation starter.

Whether the cost and value are there, it's debatable, but saying "the A's have no hitting" with a metric like batting average being used as the measuring stick.....certainly doesn't make the trade any worse.

The Athletics can spare some offense, they lead the league in runs scored. Plus it's not like Cespedes was a star at the plate, more like solidly above average.

Winning in the playoffs is all about top end starting pitching and the A's have gotten a lot more formidable in that respect. I like the trade.

advocates for the devil

Looks like they might be filming a sequel in Oakland. Cool trade. Wish we made a move like this.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I know about 7 people who still use batting average as a useful metric. The A's lead the AL in runs. Runs >>>>>>>>>>> Batting average. You're using 'hitting' as a catch-all phrase for I don't know what. Batting average? I don't mean to be snide, but who cares? The A's score runs, lots of them, and lead the majors in run differential. They got rid of a guy who had a terrible OBP, and added a top of the rotation starter.

I don't know a single knowledge fan who DOESN'T use BA as a useful statistic. It's never lost it's value. Never once found a bad offensive player who hits .330.

Now your mistake in your[sarcasm]obviously sincere attempt to not be snide[/sarcasm]was making the argument that batting average is a useless statistic as opposed to OBP is a more valuable statistic.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't know a single knowledge fan who DOESN'T use BA as a useful statistic. It's never lost it's value. Never once found a bad offensive player who hits .330.

Now your mistake in your[sarcasm]obviously sincere attempt to not be snide[/sarcasm]was making the argument that batting average is a useless statistic as opposed to OBP is a more valuable statistic.

Player A bats .330

Player B bats .315

Who is a better hitter?

Player A has 4 HR and an OBP of .345

Player B has 35 HR and an OBP of .410

Don't you know a bit more once you see that? And therefore, batting average is a secondary or tertiary stat.

Batting average isn't useless, it's just there are so many stats that are better predictors of offensive success. The A's have scored the most runs in the AL. They are 3rd in OBP, 6th in SLG and 9th in AVG. Meanwhile the Tigers have the best AVG in the AL by a whopping 13 points, yet are only 4th in runs scored.

Batting average isn't useless, it's just there are so many stats that are better predictors of offensive success. The A's have scored the most runs in the AL. They are 3rd in OBP, 6th in SLG and 9th in AVG. Meanwhile the Tigers have the best AVG in the AL by a whopping 13 points, yet are only 4th in runs scored.

I 100% agree, my comment was more around it appeared on the surface they were giving up one of their key offensive pieces for more pitching. While they have plenty of guys with a high OBP, my view of Cespedes was he was higher on the food chain of AVG and SLG ... when after looking at it, he is really middle of the pack - and may not be a key piece of their offense anyhow. I certainly don't watch any A's games but I had this thought he was a better offensive player then what the stats show. Clearly I should have looked it up first.

I'm in the bay area, and most of my friends are die-hard A's fans. They are currently torn, because they feel Yoenis has single handedly won some games for the A's with his impeccable defense. However, they realize the impact this makes on the rotation, and they're all thirsty for a World Series appearance. All around very interesting trade for me. Love the trade deadline because of block-buster deals like this. Welp, see you in October Oakland!

Archived