Brewer Fanatic

Red Sox trade Jon Lester & Jonny Gomes to A's for Yoenis Cespedes

StearnsFTW

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ESPN is saying Lester and Jonny Gomes to A's for Cespedes. Ok - so when is the last time the team with the best record in baseball traded away their 3 hitter at the trade deadline. That seems nuts.

Passan tweets that Oakland is also sending a competitive balance draft pick to the A’s in the trade, and Boston is sending cash to Oakland. The A’s landed the second pick in Comp Round B in last week’s lottery.

Didn't know you could trade draft picks in MLB??

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Is Beane planning on retiring after this season? Looks like he wants to win this year and leave the team a total mess. Good day for Boston fans... especially if they just turn around and re-sign Lester in a couple of months.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

How much longer was Cespedes under control for?

Through 2015.

Baseball reference says:

2014 Contract Status: Signed, 4 yrs/$36M (12-15) (details) [*]

Service Time (01/2014): 2.000, Arb Eligible: 2016, Free Agent: 2018 [*], Agents: Wasserman Media Group [*]

How much longer was Cespedes under control for?

Through 2015.

Baseball reference says:

2014 Contract Status: Signed, 4 yrs/$36M (12-15) (details) [*]

Service Time (01/2014): 2.000, Arb Eligible: 2016, Free Agent: 2018 [*], Agents: Wasserman Media Group [*]

Should have looked it up. Pretty much every national guy on Twitter was saying he's a free agent after 2015; I think Jim Bowden is the only one who said otherwise.

Is Beane planning on retiring after this season? Looks like he wants to win this year and leave the team a total mess. Good day for Boston fans... especially if they just turn around and re-sign Lester in a couple of months.

Is this even really a good move for this year? Trading a key component in your lineup? Seems a bit like a wash competitively. I really respect Billy Bean as a GM. Even though he is yet to get to or win the World Series, what he does with that payroll is amazing. However, I'm scratching my head at this one.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Cespedes' offensive #'s actually aren't that impressive, but he's definitely a good MLB corner OF. Guessing there were some juicy deals with prospects from other teams, and Oakland had to give up a quality OF bat in order for the Red Sox to send Lester to Oakland.

This trade doesn't happen if Hammel hasn't stunk since being dealt from the Cubs and pitching for a contending team. Oakland definitely going for it on the strength of their pitching again.

Is this even really a good move for this year? Trading a key component in your lineup? Seems a bit like a wash competitively. I really respect Billy Bean as a GM. Even though he is yet to get to or win the World Series, what he does with that payroll is amazing. However, I'm scratching my head at this one.

Personally - I think it is a bad idea. They have absolutely no hitting on that team. And it just got worse. I don't see how this ends as a net positive for them.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Personally - I think it is a bad idea. They have absolutely no hitting on that team. And it just got worse. I don't see how this ends as a net positive for them.

Who has no hitting? The A's? They lead the AL in runs scored.

Archived