Brewer Fanatic

Trading Gallardo

Now is the time. He's never been better and if we have no plans to sign him, trade him. I get the penant race but we can make another trade for Price/Lester to fill that hole.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Trade 1 1/2 years of Gallardo for prospects and trade prospects to get 1 1/2 years of Price.

Point 1 is that Melvin and co just don't make moves like this when they're competing. I suppose the possibility is that they always COULD do something outside the box.....but they won't.

Secondly, why? He's pitching well, and he will be needed down the stretch and possibly/probably in the playoffs.

so with Price and Lester still available, what contending team's GM is stupid enough to trade for Gallardo instead so the Brewers could hypothetically go and get Price/Lester?

secondly, name me the last 1st place team at the deadline to trade away their opening day starter. My guess is that list of teams is pretty short, as in zero. "Melvin and company" shouldn't refer to Melvin and the Brewers...Melvin along with the rest of every baseball GM ever created don't make moves like this.

They do if hes your #3 behind Garza & Lohse, you have a young possible stud in Peralta and have another good prospect coming up in Nelson. It allows you the flexibility to move Gallardo for the future and maybe possibly you can still trade for a guy like Lester. You only need 3-4 SP's in the playoffs. Not saying it isn't ballsy, just saying it could be a good thing.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

They do if hes your #3 behind Garza & Lohse, you have a young possible stud in Peralta and have another good prospect coming up in Nelson. It allows you the flexibility to move Gallardo for the future and maybe possibly you can still trade for a guy like Lester. You only need 3-4 SP's in the playoffs. Not saying it isn't ballsy, just saying it could be a good thing.

Or you could win the World Series like the Giants with a loaded rotation. At the end of the day the team with the better pitching wins. Having 5 guys that can consistently keep the opponent to less than 3 runs is going to increase your odds of winning. The Brewers lost to the Cards in the 2011 NLCS because the pitchers let them down. It didn't matter that the Brewer offense was loaded with great hitters. It doesn't matter if a guy hits .300, he's still failing 3 out of 10 times.

Baseball is a pitcher's game. The Giants won 2 World Series because their pitchers shut down the opposition long enough for the Giants hitters to take advantage. Hitters are streaky by nature anyways. This team's lineup was pretty streaky during their peak years anyways. It's the approach that matters. Too many hitters on this team are overaggressive. Pitchers know this. What kills the Brewers? Breaking balls low and away. Braun still swings at the low stuff as if he was just starting out in the minors. Heck even Gomez does it. Lucroy might be the only hitter that doesn't fall for it. The talent is there. It's the approach that is screwed up. If these guys were to become a little more patient I'm willing to bet the averages would climb up and consistency would improve. Can't keep depending on the long ball to bail them out. The Brewers should have swept the Mets and taken 2 out of 3 in Tampa. That awful plate approach is killer.

I've been on the trade Gallardo bandwagon for a while now, but if you watch how he's throwing the ball, he looks like he's made some major adjustments.

His fastball is moving more than I ever remember it moving. He's mixing in his change and then there is the key, his curve. When that's on, he's a legit #2.

Again, this is a 180 for me, but I've watched him hit the outside corner with a 93 MPH fastball that moves in on the hands of a righty like a cutter and away from a lefty seemingly leading to more GB's or weakly hit balls.

Gallardo looks like he's genuinely adjusted and really looks good. Not just because of the box scores, but the movement on his 2 seamer has looked really good. At this point, I'd ride it out with Yo, pick up the option, and if he continues to pitch well, take the 1st round pick for him and walk away. I've always liked Yo, I just didn't think he'd be able to adjust from a guy who struck out a batter per inning to one who used more movement to be more efficient.

As far as him being behind Lohse or Garza, it really depends on what day you're talking about. You could make a legitimate argument for 4 different guys being your ace and filling out your rotation in any order.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Deals are hard to do. That is probably the single biggest reason reason you never see GMs do something like this, it is entirely contingent on a second deal happening. To make matters worse no matter which order you do things in you kill your negotiating leverage in the second deal. This isn't armchair speculation look at the total number of trades made by GMs in an entire year. It is 6-7 and most of those are for backend filler and minor league filler. GMs who are in a firesale mode are about the only ones who do more than 1 major trade by the deadline. And for a team in contention the real likelihood of a deal falling through halfway in the middle of contending is much worse than standing pat.

Deals are hard to do. That is probably the single biggest reason reason you never see GMs do something like this, it is entirely contingent on a second deal happening.

unless you're a fantasy GM playing a video game and you can turn off the 'trade rejected' feature whenever you want.

If Henderson and Thornburg are able to get back healthy this season, the Brewers can strengthen their biggest bullpen weakness without making a trade...although Uehara would be a great pickup if he's available.

The other glaring weakness is a LH-hitter with some pop that can play OF or a corner IF position.

I'd love to go out and bring in a 2-month rental of Lester if it doesn't cost too much, but I think he's going to cost some team in a big way. I think Price is off the trading block unless Tampa gets blown away by an offer. They can revisit trading him this offseason.

Archived