Brewer Fanatic

2014 Arizona Fall League / Caribbean Winter League Thread

Watching this BP session of Taylor's I find it disappointing. He appears to have little lower body kick with his stance and it shows more in his swing. All upper Body and seemingly off balance. Generating weak contact(ie just swinging for singles) There was some upper cut in to this swing while being taken imo from a singles hitting approach(likely due to swinging to RF) The sound was weak off the bat aside from the next to last I think hit? Only 1 batted ball sounded like it had Gap power. Everything else sounded like weak grounders/pop ups or easy Flyballs. with the occasional Through the hole singles of just over the head of INFs singles.

They have to do something with that stance far,far to wide a base that is sapping him of more power in his contact. If it's sacrificing power for contact and that's his only way to be successful at the plate(the upper cut in it) he's not going to be any thing special at the plate.

Again Im not a scout so my opinion has very little merit to it. My experience in watching swings comes from Golf and I can pick up the level of player I'm looking at with watching a swing session such as this BP.

This is far from the swing skills I seen with Lara's BP and even Gatewood's/Harrison's.

Just stating that the upside to me is diminished a little after seeing this w/o some more work/adjustments.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it just me or is Orlando Arcia developing into a really, REALLY, good prospect?! Just think, if it had not been for his injury lost season, he could be 20 starting AAA....His power surge has been an incredible sight and I can def see his stock rising as a top MILB prospect, not just a Brewer prospect. I will not be surprised at all to see Arcia, Taylor, and Coulter Top a Top 100 list, or at least 2 of the three with Arcia or Taylor in top 50-60

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Tuesday's Box Score / Game Log Link

CF Tyrone Taylor, batting 3rd, is the only Brewer in Tuesday's starting Glendale lineup in Scottsdale.

RHP Tyler Wagner is listed as one of the relievers likely to see action.

With three games left, elimination number is down to "2" (standings).

Tyrone Taylor goes 4-for-5, lifting his line to .272/.322/.309 (22 of 24 hits have been singles, five walks and seven K's in 81 AB's). Taylor was caught stealing (first time in three attempts).

Glendale won, 8-6, but their elimination number is down to just 1.

RHP Tyler Wagner had to work harder than necessary in his one eventful inning (one unearned run) --

Scottsdale Bottom of the 5th

Pitching Change: Tyler Wagner replaces Matt Magill.

Dante Bichette Jr. grounds out, shortstop Tim Anderson to first baseman Nick Basto.

Matt Reynolds lines out to center fielder Tyrone Taylor.

Kelby Tomlinson reaches on a throwing error by third baseman Jason Esposito. Kelby Tomlinson to 2nd.

Logan Moore walks.

Roman Quinn singles on a line drive to center fielder Tyrone Taylor. Kelby Tomlinson scores. Logan Moore to 2nd.

Brandon Nimmo flies out to center fielder Tyrone Taylor.

Puerto Rico Box Score

SS Yadiel Rivera 0-for-3 with a sacrifice fly RBI, one fielding error

Mexico Box Score

After five days idle, bad relief stint for RHP Manny Barreda --

Los Mochis Top of the 8th

Pitching Change: Manny Barreda replaces Arturo Barradas.

Sandy Madera walks.

Brian Burgamy walks. Sandy Madera to 2nd.

Ramon Orantes grounds into a double play, shortstop Issmael Salas to first baseman Cody Decker. Sandy Madera to 3rd. Brian Burgamy out at 2nd.

Saul Soto walks.

Pitching Change: Hector Daniel Rodriguez replaces Manny Barreda.

Emmanuel Avila singles on a ground ball to right fielder Eric Farris. Sandy Madera scores. Saul Soto to 2nd.

Justin Christian flies out to right fielder Eric Farris in foul territory.

Barreda has now walked 10 in 12.1 winter innings over 13 appearances.

Dominican Box Score

3B Luis Jimenez singled in four AB's, fanning twice.

Venezuela Box Score

In 11 outings covering eight innings, RHP Greg Holle has allowed 18 baserunners but has managed to limit the damage (3.38 ERA). Only one K all season...

Aragua Top of the 8th

Pitching Change: Greg Holle replaces Casey Lawrence.

Renato Nunez flies out to center fielder Taylor Motter.

Alex Romero flies out to left fielder Luis Maza.

Willson Contreras singles on a ground ball to left fielder Luis Maza.

With Teodoro Martinez batting, wild pitch by Greg Holle, Willson Contreras to 2nd.

Teodoro Martinez grounds out, pitcher Greg Holle to first baseman Josh Kroeger.

What a bomb from Arcia!

One question I have, for anyone who feels like responding -- is his swing on that HR (in post #198) a bit long, or am I reading too much into how he moves his hands prior to contact? The (potential) concern I have is him developing a bad habit feasting on weaker pitching competition.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Game story from MiLB.com

Box Score / Game Log

All eleven hits are still singles, but Shawn Zarraga continues to put bat on ball and find holes, now 11-for-31 with five walks (five K's), good for a .355/.444/.355 line that mirrors in many ways his 2014 season (at least the non-Nashville portion of it). Zarraga had a big two-RBI base knock in this one.

1B Nick Ramirez was 0-for-4 (one K); RF Clint Coulter was 0-for-3 with an HBP. One Brewer fan in attendance wasn't impressed watching Coulter on defense (tweet).

Hector Gomez, playing third base, was 0-for-2 and pulled for no apparent reason in the 5th.

Have a Fall Season, Mike Strong! Kudos to the lefty, "strong" again -- works around his own trouble...

Salt River Bottom of the 8th

Pitching Change: Michael Strong replaces Joe Mantiply.

Rio Ruiz grounds out sharply to first baseman Nick Ramirez.

Taylor Featherston triples (3) on a sharp line drive to center fielder Daniel Fields.

Chris O'Dowd called out on strikes.

Evan Marzilli grounds out, shortstop Darnell Sweeney to first baseman Nick Ramirez.

Season finale on Thursday, looks like the Desert Dogs fall just short of a division title and championship game appearance despite a 4th straight win Wednesday.

At least we get one more Wei-Chung Wang start on Thursday, you'll be able to track it here.

Venezuela Box Score

Rare 0-for-4 for Orlando Arcia

Venezuela Box Score

RHP Tim Dillard strands two inherited runners, tosses an additional scoreless frame, and moves his record to 4-1. A nice night.

Caracas Top of the 6th

Alex Gonzalez strikes out swinging.

Blake Gailen walks.

Aguilas del Zulia Manager Eddie Perez ejected by HP umpire Gabrial Alfonzo.

Luis Antonio Rodriguez walks. Blake Gailen to 2nd.

Pitching Change: Tim Dillard replaces Alex Torres.

Daniel Mayora grounds into a double play, third baseman Giovanny Urshela to second baseman Hernan Perez to first baseman Mark Minicozzi. Luis Antonio Rodriguez out at 2nd.

Caracas Top of the 7th

Danry Vasquez strikes out swinging.

Yorvit Torrealba bunt grounds out, catcher Sandy Leon to first baseman Mark Minicozzi.

L. J. Hoes doubles (1) on a line drive to left fielder Aaron Altherr.

Henry Alejandro Rodriguez pops out to catcher Sandy Leon in foul territory.

Venezuela Box Score

RHP Andy Moye's start only lasted three batters, hope he's OK --

The second walk was charged to Moye, so he left in the middle of facing that batter, that's not good.

Aragua Top of the 1st

Eduardo Escobar grounds out, second baseman Carlos Garcia to first baseman Josh Kroeger.

Ramon Flores walks.

Pitching Change: Carlos Monasterios replaces Andy Moye.

Hector Gimenez walks. Ramon Flores to 2nd.

Jose Martinez walks. Ramon Flores to 3rd. Hector Gimenez to 2nd.

Avisail Garcia grounds into a force out, first baseman Josh Kroeger to shortstop Wilfredo Tovar. Ramon Flores scores. Hector Gimenez to 3rd. Jose Martinez out at 2nd. Avisail Garcia to 1st.

Renato Nunez grounds out, third baseman Alberto Gonzalez to first baseman Josh Kroeger.

UPDATE from translated Venezuelan text --

Starter Andy Moye, after facing two batters, left the game due to right shoulder ailments.

Moye had missed the rest of the regular season at Huntsville after a mid-July DL placement (undisclosed injury).

It's awkward to think the Brewers may learn of these late-night issues from our posts here; we imagine Moye or his agent have already contacted the Brewers.

From October 27th -- a translated Tim Dillard interview:

For Tim Dillard, imported pitcher Águilas del Zulia, playing baseball in Venezuela is an adventure enjoy. Imitates peers and makes jokes, so it adapts to the Venezuelan professional baseball, just as he touched his dad, Steve, when he was with Navegantes del Magallanes in the 1976-1977 harvest.

By law they have not given him his first hit despite totaling 8.0 episodes of work. With his famous mustache that resembles what Freddie Mercury (Queen frontman died), he attended the Truth in one of the benches in the dugout of the premises.

- Tell me about your experience in the league, how have you been?

- It was pretty good, the team is very good and always want to play for a team that wins. I love the fans, this is probably the biggest adjustment I've had to do with every pitch looks the World Series (laughs).

- It always seems to be in good spirits, how does that work on a dugout?

- No all the time in a good mood, but it's hard not to be here. I played 12 seasons in the US and had never had anything like this. For me, every day is an adventure. I have a good attitude because I'm having fun.

- How good is playing in Venezuela?

- It's special. My dad played here in Venezuela about 38 years ago. Cycle is complete: he played in the minors and in the majors, I like. He played in Venezuela and I'm playing in Venezuela. My father told me: "Be careful because not everyone stops at stop signs" (laughs). I said, "Okay, but hopefully I will not have to drive anywhere." I'm not good at handling at home, unless it would be here.

During the games I hardly ever feel, emotion. It's the first inning and people are crazy, that's baseball as it should be everywhere.

- Do you like Freddie Mercury?

- Yes, (laughs), I know who I like his music. Are questions about how I look? I wanted to look more like a cowboy, like Magnum PI, Tom Selleck as. But okay, Freddie Mercury (laughs), I will cut him off a little.

- Do your colleagues make jokes about your mustache?

- Yes, they call me "Moustache" (laughs), it's amazing. My wife does not like, but she's not here. Before going home told me to cut it, but I'll enjoy it while you have it. The first night I threw here fans screamed.. "! Moustache Moustache Moustache" and I knew what they meant I thought it was they did not like me, but then I cleared everything I'm impressed, this is a good place to play baseball.

- Tell me about your way of launching.

- I used to throw overhand. In 2010, the Brewers drew me to the field of majors and had a good fastball, but nothing more; no slider, no change. I asked why not tossed aside. They said: "We are ready to give you a chance pitching side, you should look for another team if you want to keep pitching for the top." I considered throwing underneath and then spring training and 10 home runs allowed (laughs).

I never had a coach to help me, everything I do on the mound I have learned for myself. Finally it's working and I'm recognizing what kind of pitcher I am. It also helps me to Eddie (Eduardo Perez, manager of Eagles) put me in situations where I can work.

- And so far did it go well?

- I go to try to get all the outs. Tell you what: Francisco (Arcia) is great behind the plate, I said I had special signs and other things I like to do, I told you once. When I attack, it is not even close to talk. If I know the batter, he knows it and tells me how to throw. I'm surrounded by people who know what they are doing and that helps me.

Tim's Halloween tweet included this:

B1TRHVcCAAAwCms.png

Dominican Box Score

3B Luis Jimenez 0-for-3 with a walk

Puerto Rico Box Score

Nice bounceback start for RHP Jacob Barnes -- 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K, not clean but pitched out of a lot of trouble well...

Santurce Bottom of the 1st

Jack Lopez strikes out swinging.

Delino DeShields flies out to right fielder Henry Ramos.

Jordan Lennerton doubles (2) on a fly ball to center fielder Juan Silva.

Jonathan Rodriguez walks.

Jorge Padilla grounds out, pitcher Jacob Barnes to first baseman Carlos Rivera.

Santurce Bottom of the 2nd

A. J. Jimenez flies out to center fielder Juan Silva.

Reymond Fuentes triples (2) on a fly ball to right fielder Henry Ramos.

Dickie Joe Thon strikes out swinging.

Emmanuel Marrero called out on strikes.

Santurce Bottom of the 3rd

Jack Lopez flies out to right fielder Henry Ramos.

Delino DeShields flies out to center fielder Juan Silva.

Jordan Lennerton walks.

Jonathan Rodriguez singles on a ground ball to left fielder Trever Adams. Jordan Lennerton to 2nd.

Jorge Padilla strikes out swinging.

Yadiel Rivera was a late defensive replacement at third base.

Via MLB.com's William Boor:

#Brewers Wei-Chung Wang pitched five innings in #AFL14 today then just walked to clubhouse with trainers. Grabbed lower back at one point.

Not clear if Wang is hurt or not, five innings is a typical AFL start, but then again pitchers don’t typically leave with trainers.

Andrew Gruman:

Not a great final start today, but Wei-Chung Wang finishes the Arizona Fall League with a 2.74 ERA over 23 IP in six starts. #Brewers

5 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 64 pitches (41 strikes), 8:2 GB:FB -- Big strikeout to end the 4th

Mesa Bottom of the 1st

Eric Stamets flies out to right fielder Steven Moya.

Jon Berti pops out to first baseman Nick Basto in foul territory.

Dan Vogelbach grounds out, second baseman Darnell Sweeney to first baseman Nick Basto.

Mesa Bottom of the 2nd

Tony Renda grounds out, first baseman Nick Basto to pitcher Wei-Chung Wang.

Spencer Kieboom strikes out swinging.

Jacob Hannemann grounds out to first baseman Nick Basto.

Mesa Bottom of the 3rd

Danny Lockhart singles on a ground ball to second baseman Darnell Sweeney.

Boog Powell lines out to left fielder Garabez Rosa.

Chad Hinshaw singles on a line drive to left fielder Garabez Rosa. Danny Lockhart to 2nd.

Eric Stamets flies out to left fielder Garabez Rosa on the infield fly rule.

Jon Berti homers (3) on a fly ball to left field. Danny Lockhart scores. Chad Hinshaw scores.

Dan Vogelbach grounds out, first baseman Nick Basto to pitcher Wei-Chung Wang.

Mesa Bottom of the 4th

Tony Renda called out on strikes.

Spencer Kieboom singles on a line drive to center fielder Tyrone Taylor.

Jacob Hannemann grounds into a force out, first baseman Nick Basto to shortstop Tim Anderson. Spencer Kieboom out at 2nd. Jacob Hannemann to 1st.

Danny Lockhart reaches on a fielding error by second baseman Darnell Sweeney. Danny Lockhart to 2nd. Jacob Hannemann advances to 3rd, on a throwing error by second baseman Darnell Sweeney.

Boog Powell strikes out swinging.

Mesa Bottom of the 5th

Chad Hinshaw pops out to shortstop Tim Anderson.

Eric Stamets grounds out, second baseman Darnell Sweeney to first baseman Nick Basto.

Jon Berti singles on a ground ball to shortstop Tim Anderson.

Dan Vogelbach doubles (4) on a fly ball to right fielder Steven Moya. Jon Berti scores.

Tony Renda grounds out, second baseman Darnell Sweeney to first baseman Nick Basto

RHP Brooks Hall is doing a fine job in relief of Wang in this ongoing contest. Details later on...

Wow, Brooks Hall, that's how you close out your Fall season in style!

3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 25 pitches (15 strikes), 2:4 GB:FB

Mesa Bottom of the 6th

Pitching Change: Brooks Hall replaces Wei-Chung Wang.

Spencer Kieboom pops out to first baseman Nick Basto.

Jacob Hannemann strikes out swinging.

Danny Lockhart grounds out, second baseman Darnell Sweeney to first baseman Nick Basto.

Mesa Bottom of the 7th

Domingo Leyba remains in the game as the second baseman.

Defensive Substitution: Scott Schebler replaces right fielder Steven Moya, batting 5th, playing right field.

Boog Powell grounds out, second baseman Domingo Leyba to first baseman Nick Basto.

Dwight Smith Jr. strikes out swinging.

Eric Stamets flies out to left fielder Garabez Rosa.

Mesa Bottom of the 8th

Jon Berti flies out to center fielder Tyrone Taylor.

Dan Vogelbach walks.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Bijan Rademacher replaces Tony Renda.

Bijan Rademacher flies out to right fielder Scott Schebler.

Spencer Kieboom flies out to left fielder Garabez Rosa.

Final Tyrone Taylor update after the game...

Hmmm. I make my little assessment of Taylor's swing mentioning just appears to be a Singles hitter. 23 hits in the League. 21 singles. 1Double 1Triple. Can't be too pleased with his growth as a Batter.

What a bomb from Arcia!

One question I have, for anyone who feels like responding -- is his swing on that HR (in post #198) a bit long, or am I reading too much into how he moves his hands prior to contact? The (potential) concern I have is him developing a bad habit feasting on weaker pitching competition.

From the videos I've seen, he has a solid in the zone swing. He's a Low K guy so him Being "Long" in his swing certainly isn't translating to swing and Miss troubles. The Power he's showing is certainly a positive Growth sign. There's going to be a lot to like about him as a Future Brewer.

Not sure if the Venezuelan League issues a Cy Young-type award, but RHP Eric Marzec is on his way to being a deserving candidate. Over 10,000 in attendance, and American players have to do really well in Venezuela to impress the locals - Marzec sure has been. You'll notice a very busy Tim Dillard also tossed a scoreless inning in the 3-1 win.

Please click on the name links just above to appreciate how good the two have been, as stats are up-to-date including tonight. Teammates Marzec and Dillard have combined for a 35-to-4 K-to-BB ratio in 46.1 innings.

Venezuela Box Score

Marzec goes 5.2 strong innings --

Caracas Top of the 1st

L. J. Hoes strikes out swinging.

Henry Alejandro Rodriguez grounds out, pitcher Eric Marzec to first baseman Mark Minicozzi.

Felix Perez strikes out swinging.

Caracas Top of the 2nd

Jesus Aguilar singles on a line drive to center fielder Ender Inciarte.

Blake Gailen flies out to center fielder Ender Inciarte.

Alex Gonzalez singles on a line drive to left fielder Jose Pirela. Jesus Aguilar to 2nd.

Daniel Mayora grounds into a double play, second baseman Hernan Perez to shortstop Freddy Galvis to first baseman Mark Minicozzi. Alex Gonzalez out at 2nd.

Caracas Top of the 3rd

Danry Vasquez flies out to left fielder Jose Pirela.

Jesus Sucre flies out to center fielder Ender Inciarte.

L. J. Hoes strikes out swinging.

Caracas Top of the 4th

Henry Alejandro Rodriguez grounds out, second baseman Hernan Perez to first baseman Mark Minicozzi.

Felix Perez singles on a line drive to center fielder Ender Inciarte.

Jesus Aguilar lines into a double play, pitcher Eric Marzec to first baseman Mark Minicozzi. Felix Perez out at 1st.

Caracas Top of the 5th

Blake Gailen flies out to center fielder Ender Inciarte.

Alex Gonzalez grounds out, third baseman Giovanny Urshela to first baseman Mark Minicozzi.

Daniel Mayora flies out to center fielder Ender Inciarte.

Caracas Top of the 6th

Danry Vasquez singles on a ground ball to right fielder Aaron Altherr.

Jesus Sucre singles on a ground ball to left fielder Jose Pirela. Danry Vasquez to 2nd.

L. J. Hoes out on a sacrifice bunt, third baseman Giovanny Urshela to second baseman Hernan Perez. Danry Vasquez to 3rd. Jesus Sucre to 2nd.

Henry Alejandro Rodriguez grounds out, second baseman Hernan Perez to first baseman Mark Minicozzi. Danry Vasquez scores. Jesus Sucre to 3rd.

Pitching Change: Ryan O'Rourke replaces Eric Marzec.

Felix Perez grounds out, pitcher Ryan O'Rourke to first baseman Mark Minicozzi

Dillard's inning --

Caracas Top of the 7th

Pitching Change: Tim Dillard replaces Ryan O'Rourke.

Jesus Aguilar grounds out, shortstop Freddy Galvis to first baseman Mark Minicozzi.

Blake Gailen walks.

Alex Gonzalez grounds into a double play, third baseman Giovanny Urshela to second baseman Hernan Perez to first baseman Mark Minicozzi. Blake Gailen out at 2nd.

Archived