Brewer Fanatic

2014 Arizona Fall League / Caribbean Winter League Thread

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Dominican Box Score

First, here's quotes from a translated article as Jean Segura was preparing to begin his winter ball season --

"They were different between the two years (2013-2014). There were changes in my batting mechanics, I am aware that I did different things, "he said when approached while visiting his fellow Gigantes del Cibao, in the Quisqueya park.

"Besides the personal problem I had with the loss of my baby, that affected me a lot. The ball is 90 percent mental and 10 physical and if you have your mind well established and focused on baseball believe you can not have good performance, "he added.

"Physically I feel good, my dream is to settle in the majors, but mentally I'm getting better, since the loss of my son nine months have not yet passed. I think the Lord has given me the strength to keep going and to work hard, "argued Segura.

At times when the mind does not master it and you're shocked, friend or several friends should appear. Segura was well molded by his fellow Dominicans in Milwaukee.

"Carlos Gomez and Willy Peralta always gave me support, Dominicans were always looking after me. They helped me with encouragement, I was advised it was very hard, frustrating, and I thank God for what they did for me. "

On Monday night, Segura's Gigantes club scored five runs in the bottom of the 9th to win 9-5 on a walkoff grand slam by Kansas City farmhand Moises Sierra.

Unfortunately, Segura did not have a contributing night, going 0-for-4.

Check out things at the "Segura Tracker" to check the quality of the at-bats, and Segura's stat line page has been updated as well.

Only five K's in 38 AB's, each swinging...

Elsewhere in the same game, Hunter Morris fanned and grounded out to first base in two AB's as the DH, before fellow Brewer Luis Jimenez pinch-hit for him, striking out. Jimenez did single in a later at-bat and finished 1-for-3 with an RBI.

Elian Herrera was again idle, and Twitter seems to indicate he is now stateside with an uncertain return date.

Segura's teammate RHP Wirfin Obispo earned a hold despite his team's eventual loss by stranding two inherited runners, and a familiar name to end the frame --

Gigantes Bottom of the 8th

Pitching Change: Eury De La Rosa replaces Luis Garcia.

Defensive Substitution: Ed Rogers replaces Yeixon Ruiz, batting 7th, playing first base.

Alexi Casilla hit by pitch.

Moises Sierra walks. Alexi Casilla to 2nd.

Carlos Peguero flies out to left fielder Michael Martinez.

Pitching Change: Wirfin Obispo replaces Eury De La Rosa.

Maikel Franco singles on a line drive to left fielder Michael Martinez. Alexi Casilla to 3rd. Moises Sierra to 2nd.

Jean Segura grounds into a double play, second baseman Gustavo Nunez to first baseman Ed Rogers. Maikel Franco out at 2nd.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Mexico Box Score

Nice outing for RHP Manny Barreda, stranded an inherited runner, his bullpen did the same for him --

Los Mochis Bottom of the 5th

Greg Golson grounds out, shortstop Issmael Salas to first baseman Jorge Vazquez.

Juan Carlos Gamboa walks.

Pitching Change: Manny Barreda replaces Francisco Campos.

Yunesky Sanchez strikes out swinging.

Saul Soto strikes out swinging.

Los Mochis Bottom of the 6th

Ramon Orantes grounds out, third baseman Sergio Gastelum to first baseman Jorge Vazquez.

Sebastian Valle grounds out to first baseman Jorge Vazquez.

Justin Christian lines out to left fielder Maxwell Leon.

Los Mochis Bottom of the 7th

Luis Terrero singles on a ground ball to left fielder Maxwell Leon.

Pitching Change: Dennys Reyes replaces Manny Barreda.

Emmanuel Avila out on a sacrifice bunt, third baseman Oscar Robles to second baseman Ramiro Pena. Luis Terrero to 2nd.

Dennys Reyes intentionally walks Greg Golson.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Joan Carlos Pedroso replaces Juan Carlos Gamboa.

Joan Carlos Pedroso grounds out, third baseman Oscar Robles to first baseman Jorge Vazquez. Luis Terrero to 3rd. Greg Golson to 2nd.

Pitching Change: Jesus Castillo replaces Dennys Reyes.

Yunesky Sanchez pops out to first baseman Jorge Vazquez.

And yes, the Francisco Campos who Barreda replaced is the same Francisco Campos of the Brewers, circa 2002-2003, when they hoped the already well-established Mexican League star would be a real nice addition (he wasn't). But he's still throwing, just-turned 42.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Puerto Rico Box Score

SS Yadiel Rivera doubled (1-for-4, two K's) as his Santurce team moved to 4-0 in the round-robin.

Puerto Rico Box Score

Martin Maldonado was behind the plate (one stolen base against) as his Mayaguez team evened its record at 2-2 with a 5-3 win.

Maldy was 1-for-4 (double, run, one K).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Dominican Box Score

Elian Herrera, leading off and playing second base, was 0-for-5 (two K's), but his team won in ten innings, 2-1, in part thanks to RHP Wirfin Obispo, who tossed a pretty spectacular inning --

Aguilas Top of the 8th

Pitching Change: Wirfin Obispo replaces Rafael Dolis.

Zoilo Almonte called out on strikes.

Miguel Tejada strikes out swinging.

Jonathan Villar strikes out swinging.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Puerto Rico Box Score

In a game that had only a combined six hits, SS Yadiel Rivera played an unfortunate role in a 1-0 loss.

Carolina Top of the 7th

Irving Falu reaches on a throwing error by shortstop Yadiel Rivera.

Jesus Feliciano out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Ivan Maldonado to first baseman Ruben Gotay. Irving Falu to 2nd.

Pitching Change: Ricardo Gomez replaces Ivan Maldonado.

Anthony Garcia strikes out swinging.

Enrique Hernandez singles on a ground ball to center fielder Ruben Sosa. Irving Falu scores.

Jeff Dominguez singles on a ground ball to left fielder Robert Andino. Enrique Hernandez to 2nd.

Carlos Corporan flies out to left fielder Robert Andino.

Rivera finished 0-for-2 and was pinch-hit for in the following half-inning.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Dominican Box Score

Have a night, Jean Segura! A little feisty on the basepaths, but 5-for-5 is a nice night, just a home run shy of a cycle! Batting 6th, he drove in three and scored a run. He also stole his second base of the winter (in three tries).

We just added these details to our "Segura Tracker" --

Game ten 01/08 --

Singled on a line drive to left field

Singled on a ground ball to right field

Doubled on a line drive to right field, out trying to stretch it into a leadoff triple

Triples on a line drive to left field

Singled on a ground ball to right field, plating a run; thrown out 9-5-6 at second base trying to advance

Out at 3rd base after that double, looks like it --

10931248_1038468529515365_4187360557249290232_n.jpg?oh=4d9db0e6ba837e12e4982cba71719d0f&oe=552F0BA6&__gda__=1428717302_f8ff889931b947c148b8421212f2f6fc

And let's say the official scorer was generous on the triple to left field -- run Jean, run!

Wow, it's fun to see Segura running on our computer screens in January.

With his huge night, Segura is now 14-for-39 with four XBH's and a line of .359/.405/.487 (.892 OPS after ten games).

Oh yes, Segura's team won 8-6, although his teammate and the Gigantes' starting pitcher, Brewers minor league free agent signee LHP Nick Additon, had one rough inning, but did well to limit the damage to three runs --

Aguilas Bottom of the 1st

Rafael Furcal pops out to second baseman Alexi Casilla.

Juan Perez flies out to center fielder Leury Garcia.

Jordy Lara strikes out swinging.

Aguilas Bottom of the 2nd

Dan Black pops out to second baseman Alexi Casilla.

Manny Ramirez lines out to left fielder Carlos Peguero.

Zoilo Almonte singles on a sharp ground ball to right fielder Moises Sierra.

Joaquin Arias grounds out, shortstop Jean Segura to first baseman Eliezer Alfonzo.

Aguilas Bottom of the 3rd

Audry Perez grounds out, shortstop Jean Segura to first baseman Eliezer Alfonzo.

Jonathan Villar homers (1) on a fly ball to left center field.

Rafael Furcal singles on a line drive to right fielder Moises Sierra.

Juan Perez hit by pitch. Rafael Furcal to 2nd.

Jordy Lara singles on a ground ball to left fielder Carlos Peguero. Rafael Furcal scores. Juan Perez to 3rd on the throw.

Dan Black singles on a line drive to left fielder Carlos Peguero. Juan Perez scores. Jordy Lara to 2nd.

Manny Ramirez called out on strikes.

Zoilo Almonte grounds into a force out, fielded by third baseman Maikel Franco. Jordy Lara out at 3rd.

Aguilas Bottom of the 4th

Joaquin Arias grounds out, shortstop Jean Segura to first baseman Eliezer Alfonzo.

Audry Perez grounds out, shortstop Jean Segura to first baseman Eliezer Alfonzo.

Jonathan Villar doubles (1) on a fly ball to left fielder Carlos Peguero.

Pitching Change: Malcom Culver replaces Nick Additon.

Rafael Furcal grounds out to first baseman Eliezer Alfonzo.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Dominican Box Score

Hector Gomez committed only his first error in ten round-robin playoff games, he played third base in this one.

Gomez singled and scored a run in a 1-for-4 night as his playoff OPS "fell" to 1.145.

Gomez' team would win, 3-2, and on the other side was --

Elian Herrera, playing 2nd base and batting 3rd, 1-for-3 with a sacrifice bunt.

Luis Jimenez, DH'ing in the cleanup spot as he's done much of this winter, 1-for-4 (double, run scored).

Here's Jimenez whipping around 3rd base to score his run.

Each is trying to heat up after a slow start in the round-robin.

Dominican Box Score

This was added to the "Segura Tracker"

Game eleven 01/09 --

Flied out to right field

Singled on a line drive to right field

Grounded out to second base

Grounded into fielder's choice out, shortstop to catcher (failed with runner on 3rd, less than two out)

Jean, batting 5th, also stole his 3rd base in four tries and committed his 4th error of the winter (fielding). His team moved to 9-2 with a 7-3 win, positioning themselves for possible entry into the Dominican League finals and a spot in the Caribbean Series the first week of February.

Hector Gomez' club was on the losing side here, and he finished 0-for-4 (one K). Gomez played third base.

Dominican Box Score

It continues to be a quiet round-robin both for Elian Herrera (playing almost exclusively at second base all winter, 0-for-4, one K batting leadoff in this one), and Luis Jimenez, who had a weak winter regular season as well. Jimenez, still entrenched as the cleanup designated hitter, was 0-for-3 with a walk. But the teammates celebrated a 4-3 win thanks to their fellow Brewers save --

Aguilas Bottom of the 9th

Pitching Change: Wirfin Obispo replaces Eury De La Rosa.

Juan Perez strikes out swinging.

Dan Black grounds out, second baseman Elian Herrera to first baseman Ed Rogers.

Manny Ramirez grounds out, shortstop Gustavo Nunez to first baseman Ed Rogers.

Get that man an invite to big league spring training!

Instagram video - Final Out

Venezuela Box Score

RHP Tim Dillard got some mop-up work in to finish a 6-1 loss in his re-entry to winter ball play --

Caribes Top of the 9th

Pitching Change: Jose Guanchez replaces Julio Vivas.

Alexi Amarista grounds out, second baseman Ali Castillo to first baseman Daniel Mayora.

Pitching Change: Tim Dillard replaces Jose Guanchez.

Balbino Fuenmayor flies out to left fielder Freddy Parejo.

Felix Perez pops out to shortstop Freddy Galvis in foul territory.

Dominican Box Score

Added this to the "Segura Tracker", we'll take an .868 OPS through 12 games.

Game twelve 01/10 --

Singled on a ground ball to left field

Singled on a ground ball to second base

Popped out foul to first base

Lined out to second base

Segura's team is rolling through the round-robin, now 10-2.

Dominican Box Score

A much-needed productive night in a win for Elian Herrera and Luis "Lucho" Jimenez -- Herrera was 3-for-5 (double, run, two RBI) and Jimenez was 1-for-4 (triple, sacrifice fly, two runs, two RBI).

On the other squad, SS Hector Gomez was 0-for-3 with a walk.

Venezuela Box Score

RHP Tim Dillard struck out two in a perfect inning, but his team lost 2-1 to fall to 3-4 in the postseason round robin.

La Guaira Bottom of the 6th

Pitching Change: Tim Dillard replaces Edwin Quirarte.

Cesar Suarez strikes out swinging.

Jose Martinez called out on strikes.

Heiker Meneses pops out to first baseman Daniel Mayora in foul territory.

If you're OK with the translation, here's an article that ran today --

Tim Dillard: "Here you have fun playing baseball"

Tim Dillard finalized his return with the Eagles of Zulia. The American pitcher left the dugout and went to greet reporters. Something was wrong: the famous mustache that made him so popular among fans of the team (see link above for photo) was gone, .

"I was not allowed to return to the United States mustache (laughs)" joked Dillard. "This is like four days. I'm about to have him back, now is a baby mustache ".

By law it was not hard to decide whether return with the Eagles of Zulia. He talked with his wife, Erin, and exactly seven hours gave a positive response to Luis Amaro, advisor to the "predatory" management. The next morning he took a plane to support a restricted orange bullpen.

"Coming back was not in my mind again this season. I was focused on get ready for spring training. But it was a good time to return, I was mentally and physically rested the last time I was here," he added. "Luis (Amaro) sent me a message asking me what I was doing, it was four days ago. It all happened so fast. You could feel the energy around when I first arrived at the airport. "

Dillard, who entered the roster by left-hander Wilkins Arias, was released in the playoffs on Friday with two-thirds of an inning against the "tribe". On November 13, at Leones del Caracas, made his last appearance in the regular round, but said he was ready for action.

"I was left, but talking to these guys I realize they've been here all the time and lived the high and low," he said. "All I know is how well we did at the beginning, that's my attitude. I come like we were undefeated. Here's how I handle it and, hopefully, perhaps spread to my teammates. "

We like it here

For Dillard, being in Venezuela and participating in professional baseball is an adventure in your life. "I like it because it's a fun place to play baseball instead," said the veteran, whose reason I appreciate this ball is because the fans at the Luis Aparicio "El Grande", hard and tough for any bad acting, love him, coupled with his mastery over the hill.

"The fans have supported me. I think it was written that again. I wanted to be in a place like this, I asked him to God and this is where he wants me. Since I left, I keep abreast by Twitter (@DimTillard). I gained thousands of followers and write me all the time. Half of the time I do not know what it means, but I use Google Translate and solve. I lost my Spanish (laughs). The boys have made me jokes and what not (laughs) say".

Dillard, who will be with the Eagles until the 26th of this month, kept abreast with the help of his wife. "She told me how they games. I thought I would not be interested in the team after I left, but she sees every game, knows what will be in television. He is a big fan. I did not know where to see how the team was going and she taught me. When I went home, I started to play with my children, take them to school, bus stop ... I met again, I missed six weeks of their lives. "

The native of Florida, sweet addition to the restrictions relievers Eagles ended their performance in the preliminary round with 4-1 record and 1.47 ERA. In 18.1 entries allowed just eight hits and three walks, they made three earned runs and struck out 16 batters.

Dominican Box Score

Elian Herrera, with two singles, a walk, and a stolen base, led his team to a 7-1 win over Jean Segura's club. Herrera's teammate, Luis Jimenez, was 0-for-5.

Jimenez, Winter Regular Season: .207/.287/.357 (.644 OPS in 140 AB's)

Jimenez, Winter Post Season: .143/.240/.238 (.478 OPS in 42 AB's)

Segura's night (1-for-3) -- the "Segura Tracker" :

Struck out swinging

Singled on a line drive to left

Struck out swinging

Segura's doing quite nicely, although all seven of his K's in 50 AB's have been of the swinging variety.

Archived