Brewer Fanatic

What about Alex Gordon in 2015?

Could Alex Gordon fit the bill in Milwaukee?

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/8231/lUYyof.png

Alex Gordon. Defensive stud. Extra base machine.

One area I'm not well versed in is salary cap construction. I can see what a player is scheduled to make season by season, but I know if a player is traded, a player's old team can pay part of that salary. Now, I am going to base this discussion on the premise that we could conceivably get some help with Alex Gordon's projected $12 million salary for 2015. If not, Rickie Weeks would be off the books, and Gordon would make essentially the same amount Weeks did. Only, his value to the team would be far greater.

Based on that premise, what would you all think of Alex Gordon of the Kansas City Royals being a possible trade target for next year, or possibly before the trade deadline this year? Now, he's making $10 million this season. Obviously there's no cap like there is in the NFL. If Rickie Weeks comes off the books next year, we could find a player with similar cost basis and really not take any additional hit to our annual salary. We know where Mark Attanasio is comfortable right now. Subtract Weeks, add Gordon, and there's not much of an increase to the bottom line. But our entire offense (and defense) is vastly improved. And I will explain my thinking in detail.

Gordon is a player I have loved for a while. I remember when I bought my first Ryan Braun autographed rookie card. There he was with Brauny. I know he was billed as the next big thing in Kansas City, a city that has been looking for the successor to George Brett. While Gordon has not lived up to the lofty offensive projections that some scouts had, he's been a well above average offensive force, and he's really started coming into his own the last few years. Upper Deck paired Braun and Gordon together. Maybe that was a sign of things to come.

http://imageshack.com/a/img708/2575/07exquisiterbraunagordo.png

Could Braun and Gordon team up in Milwaukee?

Gordon is attractive in so many ways, it's just amazing when you look at what we have, and how he perfectly compliments the Brewers. First, Milwaukee's offense, as it is constructed right now, is heavy with right handed hitters. Gordon is a left handed bat with power. The only left handed hitters the Brewers have is Scooter Gennett, Caleb Gindl (on the 40 man roster), Logan Schafer and Lyle Overbay. It's likely that Gennett and Gindl will be the only lefties on the roster next year. Gordon has good speed, and would run wild hitting in Miller Park. Gordon has good power, averaging 19 home runs per 162 games played for his career. But he brings an ability to become an extra base machine.

Between 2011 and 2012, Alex Gordon collected 142 extra base hits.

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/3701/g5UE4G.gif

Between the 2011 and 2012 season, Gordon collected 96 doubles, 9 triples and 37 home runs. Only 4 men in Major League Baseball had more extra base hits in those two seasons: Robinson Cano, Miguel Cabrera, Ryan Braun and Albert Pujols. And he's been durable. In 2009, Gordon tore the labral cartilage of his right hip. Because of that injury, and the rehab that followed, Gordon only played in 123 games in 2009 and 2010. But since then, Gordon has played in 563 of his team's 587 games between 2011 and 2014. And he's produced. Between 2011 and 2014, his 162 game averages have been outstanding.

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/1750/uMEyep.png

Besides the 68 extra base hits Gordon has averaged per 162 games over the last four years, Gordon is also a talented defender. When you look at Gordon as the entire package, it's not hard to see why he's got the third highest WAR in the American League as I write this (4.2), behind only Mike Trout (5.8) and Josh Donaldson (5.0). He is slightly ahead of former Brewer prospect Michael Brantley, who also has a 4.2 WAR.

Gordon has been an All Star now the last two seasons. And the last three seasons, he's won a Gold Glove. He's primarily a left fielder, but he's also played 329 games at third base, and another 40 at first base. So with a starting threesome of Davis, Gomez and Braun in the outfield, with Gordon backing them up, we have our 4th outfield. Gordon has very good speed, and excellent instincts, so I wouldn't be surprised if he could play center field in a pinch. When he's not playing in the outfield, he could play third or first base. He could platoon with Aramis Ramirez. I would also consider moving Khris Davis to first base, and putting Gordon in left. Then we'd have a pair of Gold Glove winners in left and center, and a Gold Glove finalist in right field. Davis projects offensively as a prototypical first baseman. His biggest issue defensively has always been his arm strength. His arm would be sufficiently strong to play first base.

If we are going to make a move to improve this team, and make a serious run at the World Series, I think Alex Gordon would be a sensational addition to this team. Gordon's contract might need slight reworking, but if it is at all possible to bring him to Milwaukee, think of how much better he would make this team. As I mentioned before, he's an extra base machine, and he should post ridiculous numbers at Miller Park. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 40 + doubles, 5 triples and 20 home runs a season. He should also steal 10-15 bases, and play exceptional defense. Gordon would be the Ben Zobrist of the Brewers. And if he were not starting on a day off, he'd be a vast improvement over what we have on the bench now.

What do you guys think?

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Verified Member

Gordon-Gomez-Braun would be a phenomenal outfield!

Don't you think it would be cost prohibitive though, given that we don't really need a LF? Khris Davis has been adequate this season, and the huge haul that Kansas City would want -- assuming we are trading prospects at all -- could be better spent on a 1B or SP.

It seems the Brewers have already determined (prior to this season) that Khris Davis can't play 1B, so you'd have to move Gordon to play him everyday, and although he is an elite player (5.0 fWAR this season, third in MLB), a lot of that is from his outfield defense. As a full-time 1B he's no longer an elite player, so it makes no sense to have him change positions. For example, I would rather have Mike Napoli at 1B than Gordon, based on pure offense alone.

Well, we could always keep Davis in left, and let Gordon play first. He's not going to hit as many home runs as your top tier first baseman, but I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 25 bombs a year. He's capable of it. Though I think we have more first base options in the minors, and practically nothing at third. Ramirez is getting up their in age now. Maybe keep Gordon at third base. He and Segura paired on the left side will help to cut down on the number of balls hit to Davis. Segura and Gordon both have cannons for arms.

Kansas City is in need of pitching, and that's something that we have right now. Nelson is untouchable, but I wouldn't hesitate about offering Jungman.

We'll see. I think Gordon would bring a lot of versatility to the team, something we don't have a lot of. It's an interesting notion, and if nothing more, it creates some fun dialogue.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I have been waiting for A left-handed power threat since Fielder left. I like Gordon, the versatility would be great as you could move him or Braun to 1B. Having said that I bet Melvin adds one via FA like LaRoche if his option is declined. Not saying I agree with it but that is what I envision happening.

1. But why is KC motivated to move Gordon?

2 Don't they have young talent coming together finally such that they are trying to win and stop perpetual rebuilding?

3. Assuming KC would move him, what do they truly need?

4. Can Gordon be a legit 3b solution?

First off, you say you're not good at salary cap construction. You know there's no salary cap, right?

Gordon would be a great option. It would depend on if the Brewers feel he'll play better than Davis, especially given their price differences. I'd rather try to go after Tulo or a 1b given our needs there.

Has Gordon ever played a single game at 1B or 3B?

If not, then I can't see this happening. Regardless of what a lot of people think, not just anyone can play the hot corners in MLB.

All the talk on these boards of moving player A to 1B because it is an easy transition is unfounded.......in my opinion.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Has Gordon ever played a single game at 1B or 3B?

If not, then I can't see this happening. Regardless of what a lot of people think, not just anyone can play the hot corners in MLB.

All the talk on these boards of moving player A to 1B because it is an easy transition is unfounded.......in my opinion.

Yes he has.

That said:

1) This topic should be moved

2). The Brewers would likely need to trade at least Nelson to get him. Gordon is going to be like a 6 win player this year. He's only owed $12.5 million next year meaning he has like $20 million in excess value.

I'd say we are dreaming on getting Alex Gordon. There is no reason for the Royals to trade him away, unless we decided to offer them Peralta/Davis plus one of Arcia, Taylor, or Coulter.

Why would the Brewers do that? The only way to entice the Royals to trade Gordon is to give them an absolutely ridiculous offer that deserves the GM having his head examined for doing so.

KC is 1 game from the Wildcard currently in, to me, a very weak AL. They won't sell any pieces.

Gordon being traded away is like Braun being traded away for Milw. He's their Franchise Player/Star their Fans most likely have bought in to since his first game.

He's going to put up north of 5WAR this season and has 12.5mil salary next season with a 12.5mil option in 2016. If you're on the same page 1WAR is worth 6mil-ish in FA, KC is getting 60mil worth+ from Gordon for 25mil cost moving forward. And this season is year #4 of continuing a 5WAR or more trend, it's fairly safe to say he's going to continue it at age 31+32.

Literally, to acquire Gordon, If I was their GM, the offer that gets me to entertain the idea, is Davis+Peralta+Arcia or Coulter maybe both! We're talking a 5+WAR player for what? Davis being a 1.5-3WAR player? Peralta being a 1.5-3WAR SP? and Prospects....I think KC is losing on that offer maybe I should add Nelson in to it. That is how Special Gordon is. How far ahead in talent he is over his peers. 5WAR+ players aren't abundant, but 1.5-3WAR players certainly are.

First off, you say you're not good at salary cap construction. You know there's no salary cap, right?

Gordon would be a great option. It would depend on if the Brewers feel he'll play better than Davis, especially given their price differences. I'd rather try to go after Tulo or a 1b given our needs there.

I know that the league doesn't institute a salary cap. The cap I'd be referring to would be the self imposed one, ie what Mark Attanasio is willing to spend in a given year. I'd mentioned that addition of Gordon would basically be negated by Rickie Weeks not being on the roster next year. While we could spend $200 million like the Dodgers, that's not realistic. Mark A. has a dollar figure in his mind, and he's not likely going to exceed that unless something truly special is available.

Archived