Brewer Fanatic

2014-07-25 Mets (Wheeler) at Brewers (Gallardo), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-2]

1992casey
Ron Roenicke Sir,

You do realize, that you have a better chance of scoring 1 run with a runner on 1st and 0 out, than a runner on 2nd and 1 out, right? You know this has been historically proven? Do you follow?

Apparently not.

When you pull back your best power hitter who can end the game and walk it off with 1 swing, to let a guy who is pretty much useless at anything besides defense go up there and take a few pokes at the ball, you pretty much deserve exactly the predictable result that you got.

Especially a power hitter who is notoriously streaky and has hit well lately.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Roenicke worse than Ned Yost?

Absolutely not, & it's not even within a universe of being close.

I suspect it's closer than you think.

No, it's really not. I've never before or since seen a manager worse at playing matchups than Yost. He was colossally bad -- Ryan Braun defending at 3B bad.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

No, it's really not. I've never before or since seen a manager worse at playing matchups than Yost. He was colossally bad -- Ryan Braun defending at 3B bad.

I didn't say it was close. I said it was closer than you think. You said it's not even 'within a universe'. Yost was.......awful. (Yes, I do remember the Shouse/Burrell thing.) But if people think Roenicke "isn't that bad", they're choosing to selectively overlook a lot of really stupid stuff that he does.

Again, I'm not saying he's as bad as Yost, but he's really pretty bad.

Mark Kotsay playing CF in the 2011 NLCS was pretty bad, too.. in fact, I remember a bad defensive play costing the team 2 runs and they lost that game. That might be worse - given the context - than the Shouse/Burrell matchup.

I didn't say it was close. I said it was closer than you think. You said it's not even 'within a universe'. Yost was.......awful. (Yes, I do remember the Shouse/Burrell thing.) But if people think Roenicke "isn't that bad", they're choosing to selectively overlook a lot of really stupid stuff that he does.

Again, I'm not saying he's as bad as Yost, but he's really pretty bad.

Yost was bad on a he-gave-a-legit-reason-to-fire-him-in-almost-literally-every-game level. Roenicke is nowhere near as bad as Yost was.

Worse than Starting Mark Kotsay in CF in a pivotal play-off game bad? I will never get over that one.

Yost had no starting pitchers to speak of, RRR has it so much better than Yost did. I am not going to make myself sick, and stick up for Yost, but RRR is in the same ballpark as Yost when it comes to horrible managing of baseball games. He may not be Ned Yost bad, but the difference is small in my opinion...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yost reinvented what 'bad' meant, relative to MLB managers, on seemingly a nightly basis.

I'm not here to stick up for Roenicke as much as I'm here to stick up for objectivity & sanity. Yes, I wish Ron wasn't such a run-of-the-mill MLB Lifer manager, but he's just nowhere near Yost-bad for me.

RR drives me up the wall sometimes and his managing in the NLCS was beyond questionable, but he's not in Ned's league. Between 'Soup pitched great', 'Pitcher

X was one pitch away' and his meltdown(s) in the final week

of 07 ... yeah, I'll take RR any day of the week.

Roenicke is Yost 2.0. We win as much as we do despite them.

Roenicke cannot think outside of the box. He's way to loyal to silly baseball traditions and to certain players and to the bunt and to the "run like you are a chicken with your head cut off" approach to baserunning.

Other than that, Roenicke is a nice man.

Not so nice of a good in-game manager.

It is worth mentioning that basing the probability of scoring a runner from 1st with no outs vs. scoring a run with a man on second and 1 out is likely to be a biased measurement. Not horribly biased managers universally are more likely to bunt with weaker hitters, so the ingrained strategic habits already play a role in those numbers and since the percentages are close in this case the odds could easily tilt one way or the other based on who is pitching, and who the upcoming batters are.

Schafer for Reynolds? Seriously?

I was thinking the same thing. Last night wasn't one of RR's better games. It almost looked like Ron was going for a tie rather than the win with that move. :tongue

Archived