Brewer Fanatic

2014-07-25 Mets (Wheeler) at Brewers (Gallardo), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-2]

1992casey
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL

L Schafer struck out bunting foul.

C Gomez struck out swinging.

R Weeks struck out swinging.

That's pretty sad.

And sadly, kind of predictable. Especially after Lucroy got on base. Then it's hero mode!

And using your worst player to bunt (or just bunting in general) Heck, if you're going to bunt, I'd rather they put someone like Lohse out there.

We struck out 13 times tonight.

We were 0-6 with RISP.

We left 9 runners on base.

And Gallardo's masterful performance gets completely wasted. Sigh.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I really should be enjoying this season....Hell they are in first and have/had the best record in the NL...but for whatever reason, I really don't like this team. I don't like their approach to hitting. I can't stand watching Gomez and Davis try to hit every ball out. I can't stand Segura pulling off every ball. I can't stand Reynolds striking out ever once ever three at bats, and I can't stand the garbage coming off the bench. Lastly, I can't stand the way managers think....I'm going to go with the matchup in the 8th, but not the 9th.

I'm going to chalk this loss up to the stupidity of defined bullpen roles. If it is the 9th inning, the closer must close -- no matter who is coming to the plate. Doesn't matter that the Brewers have two lights-out lefties in the pen.

The Schafer bunt attempt is puzzling, at best. Why are we bunting in that situation? Why is Schafer the man to do it? Perplexing.

I'm going to chalk this loss up to the stupidity of defined bullpen roles. If it is the 9th inning, the closer must close -- no matter who is coming to the plate. Doesn't matter that the Brewers have two lights-out lefties in the pen.

The Schafer bunt attempt is puzzling, at best. Why are we bunting in that situation? Why is Schafer the man to do it? Perplexing.

Agreed. I'd even say three if you want to count Gorzelanny. He's been lights out since he came back. The Crew have so many lefties in the pen, why not use 'em!?

When Roenicke sent Schafer up to bunt, he went from having 3 outs to work with, to essentially counting on Carlos Gomez to win the game. Weeks has a CAREER BA of .210 and OPS of .663 with RISP and 2 outs. The numbers are the same for almost any clutch situation for Rickie.

I cannot overemphasize how mind-numbingly stupid it was to pull back Reynolds for Schafer.

I swear to God, I'm starting to think we have Rain Man as a manager.

"Yeah, definitely gotta use K-Rod in the ninth inning. Ya, K-Rod, 29 saves. K-Rod, All Star closer. Uh oh. Of course, he's going up against three right handers. Murphy with a deep drive to right.

333 career saves with a 2.69 ERA. Yeah.

Here comes David Wright. Captain America. Definitely trouble. Uh Oh, Wright singles. 2-1 Brewers. Gotta get somebody up in the pen. Gotta get Duda out.

Oh no!!!! Ahhhhhh! Ahhhhhh! /hits head against dugout wall. Ahhhhh! Duda with a two run homer. Gotta get Kintzler in there. Don't burn the baby. Hot water. K Rod has got us in hot water."

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

This sums up my frustrations pretty well. The defined inning roles for relievers on this team sure is annoying. Smith is the 8th inning guy, K-Rod the 9th inning guy (though only in a save situation).

The 'save' stat is one of my least favorites in MLB, because managers will manage the game to get to the closer for that save stat, regardless of matchups.

RR says that Schafer has a better chance of laying down a bunt with two strikes than getting a hit. You can hear Coshun laughing in the background. Apparently his mike wasn't shut off.

RR says that Schaefer has a better chance of laying down a bunt with two strikes than getting a hit. You can hear Coshun laughing in the background. Apparently his mike wasn't shut off.

I just came here to post & ask if anyone else caught that! It wasn't just Coshun, either. Nelson definitely started laughing first.

I also think you can read between the lines on that comment from Roenicke. Melvin is going to go out & add a viable 4th OF before the deadline imo.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The 'save' stat is one of my least favorites in MLB, because managers will manage the game to get to the closer for that save stat, regardless of matchups.

Couldn't agree more. No excuse that Duda should not have been facing a lefty. I don't care who it was. Gorzelanny or Duke.

A split of...

RHP .282/.383/.548 OPS of .931 with 15 HR

LHP .161/.254/.232 OPS of .486 with 1 HR.

Anyone after Duda in that lineup can't hurt you with the long ball. I just don't get it, drives me crazy.

This.

Formerly AirShuttle6104

RR says that Schafer has a better chance of laying down a bunt with two strikes than getting a hit. You can hear Coshun laughing in the background. Apparently his mike wasn't shut off.

Well, I guess he wasn't wrong. Schafer has a better chance of being struck by lightning there than getting a hit. :( Probably doesn't understand why he was laughed at though. :laughing

Did I fall asleep for a few months or something? Are we in the playoffs? Because usually in game decisions this stupid don't happen until the post season.

Cool beans, Ron. I'd rather have had a pinch hitter in the game that isn't so God-awful that you would need to resolve yourself to bunting with 2 strikes. But that's just me.

Is Roenicke worse than Ned Yost?

I said something to my wife tonight that horrified me: " I think I'm starting to get on the Ron Roenicke bandwagon. "

Then I watched the last inning of the game tonight. Everything is back to normal again, whew! Thanks Ron!

Archived