Brewer Fanatic

Would everyone be OK if the Brewers Stood PAT?

Id be livid if they stand pat. Keeping Logan Schafer on this team sends the message that there's zero accountability here. He's a bad AAA player. The cost of a replacement would be minimal.

Offense is down all over baseball. The Padres are hitting .218 as a team. There isn't a team in baseball that doesn't have players performing at levels similar to Schafer.

True, but does that mean that the Brewers should settle for incompetence while someone else goes to the World Series?

I'm all for adding a bench bat, but if a deal isn't there, it's not worth getting all worked up over. The fate of this team is more in the hands of its regulars and pitching staff. The last bat on the bench rarely is a difference maker. Schafer's gotten a few key hits here and there but on balance he's not done well, but it hasn't affected the team to this point.

I think a starter needs to be added which in turn would strengthen the bullpen once Nelson gets shifted there. And correct me if I'm wrong but won't Nelson reach an innings limit before the regular season ends should he continue to make starts every 5th day?

If the Brewers were to make a move for a starting pitcher who would be a perceived upgrade on Nelson, then Nelson would be a part of that trade. He is not getting shifted to the pen, and no team is going to trade us a starting pitcher who is (right now) better than Nelson unless they get Nelson back in the trade.

Unless we swing a major, David Price-type trade, I think our rotation is set. That leaves 1B, the bullpen and the bench as the only real positions where we could do something. With Jeffress up, Henderson and Thornburg likely returning, and Estrada now in the pen, I don't think we'll make a move for a reliever. That leaves either 1B or bench, neither of which will probably be a very major move.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think a starter needs to be added which in turn would strengthen the bullpen once Nelson gets shifted there. And correct me if I'm wrong but won't Nelson reach an innings limit before the regular season ends should he continue to make starts every 5th day?

If the Brewers were to make a move for a starting pitcher who would be a perceived upgrade on Nelson, then Nelson would be a part of that trade. He is not getting shifted to the pen, and no team is going to trade us a starting pitcher who is (right now) better than Nelson unless they get Nelson back in the trade.

Unless we swing a major, David Price-type trade, I think our rotation is set. That leaves 1B, the bullpen and the bench as the only real positions where we could do something. With Jeffress up, Henderson and Thornburg likely returning, and Estrada now in the pen, I don't think we'll make a move for a reliever. That leaves either 1B or bench, neither of which will probably be a very major move.

I agree with that though I wouldn't be shocked if Estrada is dealt this week to a team that might think he has some value in 2015 starting. Cubs have acquired guys like him with the thought of flipping them. They could do that again. Room has to be made for Henderson.

Brewers Deadline 2014 - Awfully Quiet Around These Parts

A move for a 1B (Morneau/Napoli), backup IF (Prado) or RP (Ziegler, Reed) has to made doesn't it? The Brewers are in this thing and some small tweaks are definitely needed. I hope they don't stand pat, but I also hope they don't go crazy and deal a ton for Price.

Brewers Deadline 2014 - Awfully Quiet Around These Parts

A move for a 1B (Morneau/Napoli), backup IF (Prado) or RP (Ziegler, Reed) has to made doesn't it? The Brewers are in this thing and some small tweaks are definitely needed. I hope they don't stand pat, but I also hope they don't go crazy and deal a ton for Price.

The Brewers have been contacting a lot of teams today. I have heard that Boston like the Phillies with Byrd are asking for a lot for Carp. Ziegler is not available and the Rockies won't move Morneau unless they are overwhelmed by an offer. Brewers would have to give a up a top 10 prospect to get Morneau.

IMO, Price would've been moved prior to his start yesterday if TB had offers on the table they were seriously considering. TB's very likely to see if they can get hot this season and then make the Price trade sweepstakes the centerpiece of the winter meetings.

Morneau makes so much sense for the Brewers right now...get it done, Doug! Wouldn't be surprised if the Pirates were trying to reacquire him, too.

Brewers would have to give a up a top 10 prospect to get Morneau

Top 10 in the current Brewers' system? To me that's absolutely worth it for the roster hole he would potentially fill. Morneau's under contract through next season at a pretty manageable amount.

So you would give up someone like Bradley or Lopez for less than 1.5 years of Morneau? That is a small improvement to give up any kind of prospect. At best you are looking at a 1 game win improvement if you add Morneau to the team it is just not worth it.

Morneau is just not a difference maker that you trade a top 10 prospect for.

Who's on your list of Brewer top 10 prospects? Of those 10, there are very likely 5 of them that won't amount to any kind of MLB quality...Being a good GM is about identifying which of your own aren't going to excel and moving them when their value is at its peak. I'll gladly give you a name or two off that list that I wouldn't think twice about trading for 1.5 years of Morneau, when the MLB team is desperate for a LH bat to put towards the middle of the order and play 1B.

A lineup of:

Gennett- 2B/Weeks-2B

Lucroy- C

Braun- RF

Ramirez- 3B

Morneau- 1B

Gomez- CF

Davis- LF

Segura- SS

PITCHER

Would be really something to tangle with!

Then go out at add a 4th OF(not sure who this person is but that's why they get paid the big bucks!) so that Herrera backs up the IF only, Reynolds is a good option for some pop off the bench and good defensively, plus Maldy as our backup C and we have ourselves a ballclup with options.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Top 10 in the current Brewers' system? To me that's absolutely worth it for the roster hole he would potentially fill. Morneau's under contract through next season at a pretty manageable amount.

So you would give up someone like Bradley or Lopez for less than 1.5 years of Morneau? That is a small improvement to give up any kind of prospect. At best you are looking at a 1 game win improvement if you add Morneau to the team it is just not worth it.

Pretty good chance Bradley never becomes a productive big league starter, I'd give that up in a second to get a player who has been one of the better first basemen in baseball this year who is signed for below market value next year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Maybe Morneau will be a 5 game improvement over Overbay. Not sure how you can say "at best," he'd be a 1 game win improvement...unless you're strictly using WAR which is ridiculous. Wins don't come from WAR. You compare players using WAR, but with all the situations that come into play, the way a team would have to pitch to you with another left hander in the lineup(Gennett 2nd and Morneau 5th for instance).

I really thought I was on the conservative side of trading prospects before this post, especially when it came to Price and Lester. But now we're not willing to trade a guy like Bradley for Morneau?

Morneau is the EXACT type of guy this team should trade for. Cheap, team controlled for 2 more years, 1 if we don't want to pick up the option, solves our 1B problem for next year, really good hitter. Not great, but very good. And almost couldn't fit our lineup any better.

Yeah, I'll give up Jungman, Bradley or someone like that for him.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived