Brewer Fanatic

Would everyone be OK if the Brewers Stood PAT?

I don't expect anything too big, so no I wouldn't be upset if they stood pat. Doing nothing is better than doing something you'll regret (like trading away Nelson).

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm not sure a big trade is necessary for this team. Even possibly hitting the waiver wire for a utility man would do just fine. I know we want an upgrade at 1B but honestly think of all the guys we've wanted (Hart, Morales, Smoak, etc..) they've all been duds too. Just not sure there is an upgrade out there.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I dont see a need to make a trade before July 31st, any bench player or bullpen arm will probably be available in August after clearing waivers (like a Morneau/Byrd type last August)

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Current Brewer offensive OPS rankings by position, all of MLB rankings

C - 1st

1b - 25th

2b - 4th

3b - 13th

SS - 27th

LF - 15th

CF - 4th

RF - 3rd

The Brewers are getting fantastic production from 4 of their positions, average production from 2 of them, and poor production from 2 of them.

I can live with Segura scuffling to hit at SS, but I would like a utility IF that can play SS and also hit left-handed with some pop on this roster.

1B remains the position crying for an offensive upgrade, even a marginal upgrade would help this team a ton. Someone like Garrett Jones of the Marlins, or another LH with some pop and OBP skills who won't kill you defensively. Morneau would be more than ideal had he not just gone on the DL.

Hindsight will be 20/20 (or maybe even 20/15!). Should the Brewers make the playoffs the fan base will have no issue with standing pat. Should they miss a ton of fans will complain the Brewers should've done more. The moral? Make the freaking playoffs and this is a non-issue.

Given the dearth of options that will deliver good value, I'd be OK with it. However, I'll be a little disappointed if they can't do something, because what is left are the little bench kind of moves that are much easier to do, and would help at least a little.

A pen of consisting of the following is ok by me to head to October with:

CL: K-Rod

SU: Henderson, Jeffress

LHP: Smith, Duke

LRP: Gorzelanny, Estrada

Add in Thornburg if he can make it back and I think we have a winning pen.

As we have discussed, the issue for the staff is whether or not you need an Ace in October like Hamels or Lee. I for one don't necessarily want to pay the price to get one of those guys because it means giving up Nelson which is not in the Brewers long term interests in my opinion.

I would feel comfortable with standing pat with the offense today. However, an injury to any one of the Braun, Gomez, Lucroy or Ramirez would likely sink the season given the lack of a quality backup at each position save C. So I think a pre-emptive move to acquire a Plouffe for a backup IF spot or a 4th OF would be smart.

I'd be fine with it. I think the Tigers got a pretty good deal for Soria, but they got two pretty solid pitchers who are both close to being big league contributors. Not sure what the Red Sox would want for a Uehara.

Papelbon would be one guy I'd be interested in. Depending on how much the Phillies would kick back in salary and how much we'd have to give up to get him.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I'd rather stand pat at 1B than add Ryan Howard, I know that for sure...

It is silly to make a move just to make a move.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Verified Member

Definitely not. I don't think a big move is going to materialize (like 1B or SP), but it is honestly not difficult to find upgrades to the current bench. Keep Overbay, he's a good leader or whatever, fine... But Melvin can't find a replacement level 4th OF or INF?

Pick up Darwin Barney and trade a non-prospect for the next Chris Dickerson/Nyjer Morgan. At least look like you're trying to do something.

Brewers are 2nd in the NL in virtually all offensive stats (behind the Rockies). If they stay relatively healthy, I don't see that changing the last 2 months. A bench tweak might help some, but it's not a critical need.

The big move on the pitching staff has already been made (Nelson for Estrada). They need a healthy Henderson, or to add a veteran right handed reliever if not him.

Standing pat isn't going to bother me.

I think a starter needs to be added which in turn would strengthen the bullpen once Nelson gets shifted there. And correct me if I'm wrong but won't Nelson reach an innings limit before the regular season ends should he continue to make starts every 5th day?

Verified Member
It's worth noting that usually when Melvin is suspiciously quiet, the silence is broken by some major move nobody was expecting. I haven't really seen rumors that the Brewers have even been inquiring on anybody (other than scout sightings here and there). Maybe something is brewing?

Community Moderator
It's worth noting that usually when Melvin is suspiciously quiet, the silence is broken by some major move nobody was expecting. I haven't really seen rumors that the Brewers have even been inquiring on anybody (other than scout sightings here and there). Maybe something is brewing?

Here is an excerpt from Haudricourt's article titled, All quiet on Brewers' trade front posted a few minutes ago touting an aggressive approach that isn't leading to many returned calls.

Doug Melvin wouldn't say what it was, but he's looking for something on the trade market.

"I've been pretty aggressive as far as contacting teams," said the Brewers general manager.

Unfortunately, the return calls have been few and far between, according to Melvin.

"There are a lot of people in Cooperstown now, a lot of teams sent people there," said Melvin. "I called a few clubs to check in and they said they'd call back Monday. I'm on top of everything I think is available and what's not available.

"You read all these rumors and you chase them to get them off the rumor list. There's so-called availability without asking for people we don't want to give up. You have to weigh all that."

Though Melvin wouldn't specify the area or areas of the club he is seeking to improve, he is known to have checked in on right-handed setup men/closer types to augment his bullpen. He could be looking for a left-handed bat for the bench as well with few available on his roster.

Edit: I tend to agree with you SRB, one thing I have come to expect from DM is the unexpected.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The thought of not adding a quality bench bat bothers me. Having Logan Shafer come up down 1 run in the 9th w/ Lucroy on first and no one out only to strike out bunting again down the stretch will be the end of me.

Our current bench is batting .276 (EH), .262 (RW), .243 (MM), .234 (LO), .188 (LS). That isn't going to cut it come crunch time. We need another stick. I'm not advocating trading for Evan Longoria... but for God's sake there has to be someone who can give you quality at bats when you need him to.

Id be livid if they stand pat. Keeping Logan Schafer on this team sends the message that there's zero accountability here. He's a bad AAA player. The cost of a replacement would be minimal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Id be livid if they stand pat. Keeping Logan Schafer on this team sends the message that there's zero accountability here. He's a bad AAA player. The cost of a replacement would be minimal.

Offense is down all over baseball. The Padres are hitting .218 as a team. There isn't a team in baseball that doesn't have players performing at levels similar to Schafer. That's especially true of bench guys that are lucky to get 5 AB's per week, usually against premier relievers throwing mid to upper 90's. Schafer has 90 career major league hits. Just guessing but I bet that's 90 more than any of us.

Offense is down all over baseball. The Padres are hitting .218 as a team. There isn't a team in baseball that doesn't have players performing at levels similar to Schafer.

True, but does that mean that the Brewers should settle for incompetence while someone else goes to the World Series?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived