Brewer Fanatic

Brewers scouting Red Sox [Latest -- Lester traded to OAK]

Eh it all depends what you have to give up. The Pirate would be stupid to give up any of their top prospects for a 10 start rental. With the Cards getting Masterson and perhaps the Pirates getting Lester perhaps that motivates DM more to make a move. It also removes two potential suitors for a different starter such as Price I suppose. I am sure the Cards could still get Price even after getting Masterson though.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's probably just as likely that Nelson goes "Cal Eldred" for us as it is that Lester goes "CC Sabathia." More likely is that Lester makes us slightly better this season, but significantly worse next year and beyond.

Exactly and this is why the Brewers should not be entertaining any ideas of trading Nelson for another pitcher. The issues with this team are an overworked bullpen, as evidenced by Will Smith's recent struggles, and offensive consistency, as evidenced by the three game losing streak. Starting pitching has not been an issue for the Crew this season and dealing 6 years of Nelson for 2 months of Lester would be stupid.

The bullpen is overworked because we possess a bunch of "middle of the road" starting pitchers, who other than on occasion don't go deep into a game. We need a guy that can go 8 innings most every start so the pen doesn't NEED to be worked.

If Melvin was creative he could make a 3 team deal work out nicely for Uehara and Carp. We would just need to find a contender who needs a lefty like Gorzellany down the stretch.

Brewers send Gorzellany to TBA

Brewers receive Koji Uehara and Mike Carp from the Redsox

TBA receives Tom Gorzelanny

TBA sends prospect to the Redsox

Redsox send Koji Uehara and Mike Carp to the Brewers

Redsox receive prospect from TBA and whoever the Brewers ship over.

Buster Olney tweeted the Braves are pushing hard for a lefty reliever. Sending Gorz to Atlanta and getting back Koji and Carp seems like we would be fleecing someone. But hey, that is what message boards are for right? Reality says, the seldom used Gorz would probably net Carp only though.

Gorz was just one part of the trade. We'd have to give up prospects of our own as well. It should have looked like this.

Brewers send Gorzellany to TBA

Brewers send prospects to Redsox

Brewers receive Uehara and Carp from Redsox

TBA sends prospects to Boston

TBA receives Gorzelanny

Redsox send Uehara and Carp to the Brewers

Redsox receive prospects from TBA and Milwaukee

@WiscoSportsNut

this is a headscratcher for Oakland, other than the fact that Cespedes' offensive #'s aren't that exceptional.

Seems like an awful lot to give up for a 2-month rental and Johnny Gomes. They'll get an extra pick back for Lester when he leaves via free agency, but man, one has to wonder whether the A's are already regretting the trade they made earlier this month for 2 Cub starters, where Hammel has really struggled since switching leagues and pitching for a contender.

I am assuming that Beane said to some random intern, “Hey, it’s early, nobody’s called yet, man the phone for a minute, I need to take a leak”, and that is when the Red Sox called.

this is a headscratcher for Oakland, other than the fact that Cespedes' offensive #'s aren't that exceptional.

Seems like an awful lot to give up for a 2-month rental and Johnny Gomes. They'll get an extra pick back for Lester when he leaves via free agency, but man, one has to wonder whether the A's are already regretting the trade they made earlier this month for 2 Cub starters, where Hammel has really struggled since switching leagues and pitching for a contender.

I could be wrong but I don't think A's will get a draft pick... I remember MLB Network talking about that last night... Whoever trades for Lester won't get a draft pick.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Cespedes is really overrated--- he has a lower ops than Khris Davis, the same obp and hr's---so this isn't that great of a haul for Boston IMO.

'zactly. As I stated in the thread on the Major league forum, Cespedes has carried an OBP right around .300 for the better part of the last 2 years (.294 last year). He's glam because he hits homeruns and has a big arm and has big RBI numbers because of where he hits in the order.

Verified Member
Apparently Cespedes can become a free agent after 2015. So Boston really only got a competitive balance pick and one year of a decent outfielder. Not a great return compared to 6 years of a high-end prospect or two.

They'll get an extra pick back for Lester when he leaves via free agency

You have to hold the player the entire season in order to be able to make a qualifying offer and potentially get a draft pick.

The bullpen is overworked because we possess a bunch of "middle of the road" starting pitchers, who other than on occasion don't go deep into a game. We need a guy that can go 8 innings most every start so the pen doesn't NEED to be worked.

I get what you're saying, but no one goes eight innings "most every start." Lester has gone eight innings five times in 21 starts. No games over 8.0 IP.

Lohse has gone 8+ five times in 22 starts, including one complete game and one 8.2 inning performance. Most of our starters (like most decent MLB starters these days) go 6-7 innings per outing, leaving 2-3 innings for the bullpen. Not a whole lot of 2-3 inning "bullpen busters." I wouldn't necessarily say our bullpen is overworked as much as I'd say the few guys Roenicke trots out there every day are overworked.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This is just plain wrong. The Brewers starters have thrown the second most innings in the NL. What you are looking for doesn't really exist.

Does this mean the Sox may now be more willing to part with Carp or Napoli for any reason?

I am going to contradict my post I made in the other thread but it looks as though the Red Sox are looking for players who will help them next year. That means in order to get Carp or Napoli the Brewers are going to have to give up someone like Nelson or Thornburg and I don't believe that helps the Brewers all that much this year or next year.

Does this mean the Sox may now be more willing to part with Carp or Napoli for any reason?

I am going to contradict my post I made in the other thread but it looks as though the Red Sox are looking for players who will help them next year. That means in order to get Carp or Napoli the Brewers are going to have to give up someone like Nelson or Thornburg and I don't believe that helps the Brewers all that much this year or next year.

I would do Thornburg for Napoli straight up. He's signed through next year and as much as I like Thornburg, I think his value lies in the bullpen, not as a starter.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Apparently LHP Andrew Miller was a target for the Brewers from Rosenthal's Article earlier today:

The Red Sox received inquiries on Miller from 10 to 12 teams, according to a source with knowledge of their trade discussions. The Tigers, Orioles and Brewers were the three finalists, the source said.

I would be curious to know what the Brewers offered for Miller. Interesting to see that they were a "finalist".

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Apparently LHP Andrew Miller was a target for the Brewers from Rosenthal's Article earlier today:

The Red Sox received inquiries on Miller from 10 to 12 teams, according to a source with knowledge of their trade discussions. The Tigers, Orioles and Brewers were the three finalists, the source said.

I would be curious to know what the Brewers offered for Miller. Interesting to see that they were a "finalist".

Apparently we were pursuing a different deal where we were shipping a LHP (Gorzelanny?) out as well...why else would we look at another LHP in the pen?

Archived