Brewer Fanatic

Brewers scouting Red Sox [Latest -- Lester traded to OAK]

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
Lester's been scratched from his next start and Workman is pitching in his place. Seems like Lester's gonna get dealt soon... but to whom?

And the baseball world holds its breath...

If I was going to bet on it I would say the Cardinals, but hopefully I am wrong.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator
Sounds like maybe the Pirates based on Twitter chatter

A lot of speculation about Jose Tabata getting scratched from the lineup before tonight's Indianapolis Indians game. I love the monitoring of minor league lineup moves as hints before the trade deadline.

Rosenthal saying his "sources" say we aren't in on Lester makes me more intrigued...all these rumblings of us being in on everybody is all BS. If we're going to make a deal it's going to be when the press doesn't think we're in on a guy.

Rosenthal saying his "sources" say we aren't in on Lester makes me more intrigued...all these rumblings of us being in on everybody is all BS. If we're going to make a deal it's going to be when the press doesn't think we're in on a guy.

That's usually been the case with Melvin. Not his MO to let things leak.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Interesting theory. Lester has been pulled for tomorrow. Two of the teams who were reportedly in on him were the Dodgers and Cardinals, both are currently playing. Possible it could be one of those teams making an announcement after the game??
Formerly AirShuttle6104

Interesting theory. Lester has been pulled for tomorrow. Two of the teams who were reportedly in on him were the Dodgers and Cardinals, both are currently playing. Possible it could be one of those teams making an announcement after the game??

I hope it's the dodgers. They can afford to beat st ;louis offer due to their payroll.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Community Moderator

Buster Olney weighs in with this Tweet:

@Buster_ESPN: At this point, the interest of Jon Lester from Cardinals, Pirates and Brewers is almost as much about keeping him from rivals as adding him.

st louis has no one scheduled for saturdays game, they'll end up with Lester, who will start that game.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I would be curious to see who STL or PIT would have to give up for Lester.

Brewers are probably unlikely to get Lester; both of the other teams have good prospects they can ship off and still be left with really strong systems. We don't really have that luxury. If they would bite for our 1st round comp pick and Coulter I would do it.

Its not a good situation to be in for PIT, STL, and MIL if they really are all bidding against each other; someone is probably going to overpay.

I think there's a pretty good chance Nelson will never be as valuable a commodity as he is right now. Depending on his changeup and his ability to keep his BB/9 around or under 3 he's either a solid starter or a reliever. I don't think he's the sure thing slam dunk a lot of people here do, flamethrowers with control problems and a questionable third pitch are the type of prospect that's always getting overrated. People always rip on melvin for not selling high on guys. This might be a good chance to do so.

His walk rate for the minors has fallen: 4.00 in 2011, 4.38 in 2012, 3.84 in 2013, 2.59 this year, while his K/BB has gotten better: 1.84 in 2011, 1.92 in 2012, 2.51 in 2012, 3.57 this year. It may not stick, but it appears he's getting better control.

At this point, it certainly seems that the odds are better than a coin flip that he'll at least be a middle of the rotation starter under team control for a low-to-reasonable rate for years to come. Maybe he falters, but at this point I don't think we'd be maximizing our return by trading him for a two month rental. As I mentioned earlier, I think the expected return for Boston should be someone like Nelson plus a couple guys like Coulter/Taylor/Arcia, so it's not that I think the Brewers would be giving up too much from a macro point of view. However, the Brewers need good, young, cost-controlled players and we don't have many of those in the upper minors who will help for a while. I don't want to see them give up the one they have for the small marginal upgrade we'd receive this year that would be lost when Lester leaves at the end of the season.

Our biggest short-term problems are 1B and depth. Even if we get an "ace" starter, we still will be hard pressed to make the playoffs if any of Gomez, Braun, Ramirez or Lucroy have a significant injury. You could probably add Gennett, Davis and any starting pitcher to that list as well. I'd rather we do smaller moves to shore up our bench and maybe get a league-average 1B than mortgage the future to strengthen the position that has been our biggest strength this season.

It's probably just as likely that Nelson goes "Cal Eldred" for us as it is that Lester goes "CC Sabathia." More likely is that Lester makes us slightly better this season, but significantly worse next year and beyond.

Unfortunately, Boston is in the driver's seat. As the Olney tweet states, the Brewers will try to make the move not really to help make themselves better but rather to keep the Cardinals and Pirates from getting better. The Cards and Pirates will do the same. The Cards and Pirates' rosters would be bolstered much more than the Brewers by acquiring Lester, so the price tag is going to be high... much higher than I want to spend.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It's probably just as likely that Nelson goes "Cal Eldred" for us as it is that Lester goes "CC Sabathia." More likely is that Lester makes us slightly better this season, but significantly worse next year and beyond.

Exactly and this is why the Brewers should not be entertaining any ideas of trading Nelson for another pitcher. The issues with this team are an overworked bullpen, as evidenced by Will Smith's recent struggles, and offensive consistency, as evidenced by the three game losing streak. Starting pitching has not been an issue for the Crew this season and dealing 6 years of Nelson for 2 months of Lester would be stupid.

If Melvin was creative he could make a 3 team deal work out nicely for Uehara and Carp. We would just need to find a contender who needs a lefty like Gorzellany down the stretch.

Brewers send Gorzellany to TBA

Brewers receive Koji Uehara and Mike Carp from the Redsox

TBA receives Tom Gorzelanny

TBA sends prospect to the Redsox

Redsox send Koji Uehara and Mike Carp to the Brewers

Redsox receive prospect from TBA and whoever the Brewers ship over.

Buster Olney tweeted the Braves are pushing hard for a lefty reliever. Sending Gorz to Atlanta and getting back Koji and Carp seems like we would be fleecing someone. But hey, that is what message boards are for right? Reality says, the seldom used Gorz would probably net Carp only though.

Archived