Brewer Fanatic

Brewers scouting Red Sox [Latest -- Lester traded to OAK]

So I have heard three reasons not to take Napoli from Briggs. He's a cloggler, he has the same RBI's as Reynolds and he costs 16 million next year(same as Ramirez).

Well....and he's not a difference maker, but that argument was supported by his RBI numbers.

So his salary is the concern then, right? That's the only viable reason. Would it really be that hard to trade him in the off-season? IF you can get that type of offensive impact, and that type of post-season experience, his RBI numbers relative to a guy who should be a part time player, and lack of speed are very small deterrents IMO.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Napoli is due to make $16M next year it, and the Brewers assume all of it, it won't take a Top-100 type prospect to get him. Likely won't take a top-5 Brewers prospect to get him.

I doubt we get Napoli for less than one of our top 5 prospects after he's consistently been a guy with a mid 800 OPS. .885 the previous 4 years.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

While MA has said they would take on some salary in a deal, I don't see them taking on Napoli's contract. He's just not that much of a difference maker (has the same number of RBI as Reynolds) and the $16 million for 2016 would preclude them from bringing back Ramirez.

My feeling is they are bargain hunting for lefty swinging 4th outfielders, hence the scouting of Philly (Sizemore) and Boston (Nava). Nava brings the bonus of being able to play 1B and is a switch hitter (though much better from the left side) too and after a very slow start, has picked it up considerably.

A big Brewer concern is how Davis will perform in the heat of a race. Right now they could use some insurance.

Speaking of lefty swinging 4th OFers, like I mentioned in another thread, a good guy to go after for that role is Bobby Abreu. He'd be a really nice fit for this team and would cost virtually nothing to get.

Any deal for Napoli has to start with our competitive balance pick.

Didn't think you could trade draft picks.

If the Brewers were to - hypothetically - pick up all of Napoli's contract, they definitely have more leverage as far as which prospects they were to give up (LouisEly is correct). The leverage goes down if the Sox agree to take on some salary.

Imo, realistically the Red Sox have a large amount of leverage because the market for first baseman is so dry. I don't think the Brewers could afford to try to play tough in negotiations. If Napoli is, in fact, available, there'd likely be a large market for him. He hits both RHP & LHP, gets on base well, & has power.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Not sure how this makes sense.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/red-sox-discussing-jake-peavy-trade-with-nl-team.html#disqus_thread

Red Sox Discussing Jake Peavy Trade With NL Team

By Charlie Wilmoth [July 26, 2014 at 9:33am CDT]

The Red Sox are close to trading starting pitcher Jake Peavy to an unknown National League team, Jen Royle of the Boston Herald tweets. (She notes, however, that “[l]ots of things need to happens before this gets done.”) That NL team is not the Cardinals, who have lately been connected to Peavy. The Braves have also reportedly been involved in Peavy trade talks, and Royle guesses that the Giants or Brewers could also be possibilities.

Peavy has a 4.72 ERA with 7.3 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9 in 124 innings this season. He is making $14.5MM this season before heading to free agency this winter.

Not sure how this makes sense.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/red-sox-discussing-jake-peavy-trade-with-nl-team.html#disqus_thread

Red Sox Discussing Jake Peavy Trade With NL Team

By Charlie Wilmoth [July 26, 2014 at 9:33am CDT]

The Red Sox are close to trading starting pitcher Jake Peavy to an unknown National League team, Jen Royle of the Boston Herald tweets. (She notes, however, that “[l]ots of things need to happens before this gets done.”) That NL team is not the Cardinals, who have lately been connected to Peavy. The Braves have also reportedly been involved in Peavy trade talks, and Royle guesses that the Giants or Brewers could also be possibilities.

The team that's close to trading for Peavy is San Francisco.

I'm not sure why there would be significant concern or need to replace Khris Davis; he's still putting up near a league average line vs. RHP, but his career line against RHP is a .244/.304/.461/.765; add in the fact that he dominates LHP, and he's at worst a league-average type of player. Any upgrade over Davis would carry a significant cost, whether that be players or contract dollars.

Napoli is intriguing. He has limited no-trade protection per Cots, so not sure if that would be an issue. At ~$7MM remaining this year and $16MM next season, I doubt he'd require much in terms of prospects.

Peavy would just be silly.

Mike Carp has requested a trade. I know he has struggled this year, but would have loved to see his power potential pinch hit last night in the 9th rather than Schafer.

Got to believe it would take very little to get Carp from the BoSox.

See someone on sonsofsamhorn.net suggests Carp & Badenhop for Mitch Haniger. Would prefer to see what it would take for Carp & Uehara.

Verified Member
Mike Carp has requested a trade. I know he has struggled this year, but would have loved to see his power potential pinch hit last night in the 9th rather than Schafer.

Got to believe it would take very little to get Carp from the BoSox.

See someone on sonsofsamhorn.net suggests Carp & Badenhop for Mitch Haniger. Would prefer to see what it would take for Carp & Uehara.

Oops, just created a new thread about Carp though I guess it fits in this Red Sox thread too. I agree though, Carp is a perfect fit for what the Brewers need right now. He doesn't even have to bounce back to be an upgrade.

Carps the type of buy low candidate that could really flourish with some regular playing time. He's posting a .361 OBP vs RHP so between 1B and LF he's an improvement at both positions.

Carp - .237/.361/.357/.717 vs RHP

Overbay - .242/.328/.366/.694 vs RHP

Schafer - .182/.265/.284/.549 vs RHP

Davis - .226/.280/.430/.710 vs RHP

Reynolds - .217/.305/.433/.738 vs RHP

@WiscoSportsNut

If Melvin was creative he could make a 3 team deal work out nicely for Uehara and Carp. We would just need to find a contender who needs a lefty like Gorzellany down the stretch.

Brewers send Gorzellany to TBA

Brewers receive Koji Uehara and Mike Carp from the Redsox

TBA receives Tom Gorzelanny

TBA sends prospect to the Redsox

Redsox send Koji Uehara and Mike Carp to the Brewers

Redsox receive prospect from TBA and whoever the Brewers ship over.

@WiscoSportsNut

I don't really think we could make a play on Lester (or should pay very much), but what does everyone think he could fetch for the Sox? Pretty smart of them to dangle him while the Price rumors fly...would he be cheaper than Price since he openly said he'd go back to Boston after the season if they'd have him back?

Community Moderator
...would he be cheaper than Price since he openly said he'd go back to Boston after the season if they'd have him back?

He will be cheaper than Price because he is under contract for 2 months as compared to David Price who is under contract through the 2015 season. Since Lester is in line for a huge payday this off-season, he almost certainly will not agree to a sign and trade deal of any kind. Even as a "cheaper" option, IMO it would likely take Jimmy Nelson + name a top prospect (Taylor, Arcia, Haniger, Coulter, Williams) for the Brewers to pull-in Lester. Possibly even the Brewers Competitive Balance Lottery pick to counter balance the compensation pick the Red Sox will be giving up by dealing Lester.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

bump because

The Brewers have spoken to the Sox about Lester, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Milwaukee was said to have asked the Rays about David Price as well, but Price might not be dealt now, and Lester would cost less to acquire. Heyman notes that Boston has top pitching prospect Jimmy Nelson to offer as a centerpiece and has a deeper farm system than it has in prior years. Nelson ranked 38th on Baseball America’s midseason list of the game’s Top 50 prospects, and MLB.com ranked him 53rd on their midseason Top 100.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

The Brewers have spoken to the Sox about Lester, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Milwaukee was said to have asked the Rays about David Price as well, but Price might not be dealt now, and Lester would cost less to acquire. Heyman notes that Boston has top pitching prospect Jimmy Nelson to offer as a centerpiece and has a deeper farm system than it has in prior years. Nelson ranked 38th on Baseball America’s midseason list of the game’s Top 50 prospects, and MLB.com ranked him 53rd on their midseason Top 100.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived