Brewer Fanatic

Brewers scouting Red Sox [Latest -- Lester traded to OAK]

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not sure who we have in our rotation that Peavy is better than. He'd certainly book-end nicely with Estrada, seeing's how he leads the AL in homeruns allowed, with a 4.72 ERA and 4.81 FIP.

http://www.millionaireplayboy.com/mpb/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/seven_kenobi_01.jpg

*this is not the Jake Peavy you're looking for*

I would change the thread to Brewers scouting the Red Sox? I certainly hope they are not looking at Peavy. But I do hope they were scouting Napoli (Hey - one can dream) ... he only has 1 year left on his contract after this year. IMO, it isn't to farfetched they would look at him and his .279 / .395 / .456 / .851 line.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/napolmi01.shtml

What would be a realistic trade? (Not including Nelson in it) to get him? We could trade our competitive balance pick we just got + Taylor? Just tossing it out there.

Napoli would be great and they wouldn't have to worry about first in 2015. With that said, I doubt it would happen, I am certainly high on Taylor but would trade him today for Napoli and a shot at the World Series.

Napoli would be great and they wouldn't have to worry about first in 2015. With that said, I doubt it would happen, I am certainly high on Taylor but would trade him today for Napoli and a shot at the World Series.

If we traded for Napoli - that - would - be - awesome! He bats what, 6th? That is one potent lineup. Starting pitching looks great (Nelson addition is huge). Our bullpen looks like it is primed for success (Jeffress addition is huge) ... I am very intrigued by what Boston would want for Napoli.

While MA has said they would take on some salary in a deal, I don't see them taking on Napoli's contract. He's just not that much of a difference maker (has the same number of RBI as Reynolds) and the $16 million for 2016 would preclude them from bringing back Ramirez.

My feeling is they are bargain hunting for lefty swinging 4th outfielders, hence the scouting of Philly (Sizemore) and Boston (Nava). Nava brings the bonus of being able to play 1B and is a switch hitter (though much better from the left side) too and after a very slow start, has picked it up considerably.

A big Brewer concern is how Davis will perform in the heat of a race. Right now they could use some insurance.

Napoli = over rated, I do not want to give up anything of future value for him, he is not a difference maker in this line-up. It would be nice to have him, but at the cost it will probably take, I am not interested.

Why is Davis such a a concern? So many people said the same thing before this season started, and he has done just fine, better than fin in fact... He has had a lot of clutch hits, game winners and tiers. I have no concern about this kid, he is a hitter.

not related to Boston, but I also want nothing to do with Ryan Howard. He is so past his prime and is running an name recognition alone. He is terrible.

So, I say no to Peavy, Napoli (unless we get him for REALLY cheap, and Howard. (from another thread)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Napoli = over rated, I do not want to give up anything of future value for him, he is not a difference maker in this line-up. It would be nice to have him, but at the cost it will probably take, I am not interested.

Why is Davis such a a concern? So many people said the same thing before this season started, and he has done just fine, better than fin in fact... He has had a lot of clutch hits, game winners and tiers. I have no concern about this kid, he is a hitter.

not related to Boston, but I also want nothing to do with Ryan Howard. He is so past his prime and is running an name recognition alone. He is terrible.

So, I say no to Peavy, Napoli (unless we get him for REALLY cheap, and Howard. (from another thread)

You have no concerns about a hitter with a sub .300 OBP? How about his .223/.273/.415/.688 line vs RHP?

@WiscoSportsNut

Napoli = over rated, I do not want to give up anything of future value for him, he is not a difference maker in this line-up.

He has a really nice OBP-heavy OPS, & has his whole career. He hits lefties & righties. There is nothing overrated about him, & he would absolutely be a difference-maker in our lineup. Swapping his .279/.395/.456/.851 2014 line in for the .220/.300/.364/.664 line the Brewers have gotten so far from 1B would be a massive improvement. Saying anything otherwise is just not being objective -- seriously... a nearly 100-point jump in OBP isn't a difference maker? Let's be honest here.

As a throw-in, he's been stronger in the 2nd halves of seasons, & sports an OPS north of 1.000 for the month of September on his career.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Napoli = over rated, I do not want to give up anything of future value for him, he is not a difference maker in this line-up.

He has a really nice OBP-heavy OPS, & has his whole career. He hits lefties & righties. There is nothing overrated about him, & he would absolutely be a difference-maker in our lineup. Swapping his .279/.395/.456/.851 2014 line in for the .220/.300/.364/.664 line the Brewers have gotten so far from 1B would be a massive improvement. Saying anything otherwise is just not being objective -- seriously... a nearly 100-point jump in OBP isn't a difference maker? Let's be honest here.

As a throw-in, he's been stronger in the 2nd halves of seasons, & sports an OPS north of 1.000 for the month of September on his career.

The Red Sox will reload for 2015 so I don't see them parting with Napoli anyway. Napoli's a good offensive player but the top 5 in the Brewer batting order are pretty good. Where you going to hit Napoli, 6th? A lot of those walks he takes there would result in him being stranded. He's a clogger once he does get on.

Brewers could use a lefty bat with some pop to use in place of Davis or when Braun needs a day off.

Dusty Baker lives on!

Where's he going to hit? In the lineup, probably inside baseball stadiums. A lineup including Napoli could look like this (2014 YTD stats) --

[pre].305/.343/.481/.824 Gennett

.303/.354/.530/.884 Braun

.312/.382/.500/.882 Lucroy

.304/.369/.505/.874 Gomez

.279/.395/.456/.851 Napoli

.283/.332/.452/.784 Ramirez

.249/.297/.467/.763 Davis

.235/.269/.325/.594 Segura[/pre]

Honestly, no pitcher in baseball would want to have to face that. That's a minimum of 7 guys who can take you yard in any given moment, and 5 or 6 guys that are consistently really good on-base threats.

Frankly, I'd slide Napoli into the #2 spot (given his strong OBP skills) & just push everyone else down a spot, but I doubt Roenicke would hit a slower player 2nd (since he hasn't really done that this year iirc).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't think you can worry about "where's he gonna hit in the lineup" with any acquisition. You get talent and then send him up to the plate at any slot really. Do we have a problem if Napoli hits 6th and Davis 7th instead of Davis 6th and Overbay 7th? Napoli can hit 7th for all I care. The point is to acquire talent at the right price. Did Matheny fret about hitting Gomez 9th in the ASG? Having too many bats doesn't seem like a problem I'd spend analyzing the batting order for more than a minute.

That said, I don't see the Brewers spending $16M on a first baseman in 2015. Nava makes the most sense as JohnBriggs pointed out.

The Red Sox will reload for 2015 so I don't see them parting with Napoli anyway. Napoli's a good offensive player but the top 5 in the Brewer batting order are pretty good. Where you going to hit Napoli, 6th? A lot of those walks he takes there would result in him being stranded. He's a clogger once he does get on.

Brewers could use a lefty bat with some pop to use in place of Davis or when Braun needs a day off.

You can't be serious with the clogger thing. You just can't.

No kidding

Of all of the guys mentioned over the last few weeks that posters would like to see the Brewers at least consider trying to trade for, Napoli would top that list for me if the cost in prospects wasn't to extravagant. He'd be a great fit in the lineup. Hits for a solid average, takes a lot of walks, and has pretty good power.

Gomez

Lucroy

Braun

Ramirez

Napoli

Davis or Gennett

Davis or Gennett

Segura

That's a damn good lineup, especially the top five and only Segura is a below average hitter.

Then hopefully get Henderson healthy in the pen and maybe even Jeffress becomes a reliable late inning guy, the Brewers would have a really good shot to win the division.

No doubt; I would absolutely take Napoli in a heart beat depending on the price. However I can't see us acquiring Napoli without giving up someone in the "Big 4" (Nelson, Arcia, Taylor, and Coulter) or one of our high 2014 draft picks (If that is even allowed). They can take 3 of Devin Williams, Victor Roache, Mitch Haniger, Michael Reed, Taylor Jungmann, Tyler Cravy, Tyler Wagner, or Jed Bradley. I would be torn on parting with Jorge Lopez right now.

The Red Sox will reload for 2015 so I don't see them parting with Napoli anyway.

Trade him back to the Red Sox after the season. Red Sox save money this year, get to look at some younger guys and can have him back next year plus have a prospect or two to boot. Only a little blue, I assume the MLB has made this illegal?...

Archived