Brewer Fanatic

Jonathan Papelbon

I think Papelbon would be a good get IF he were to come in and act like a professional and accept/earn his role. Given his past history, that's a big if. Not sure if it's true or not, but I've heard that he won't waive the no trade clause unless it is for a closer's job.

I've heard the same as well. I wonder if the Brewers could coax him into it if he realizes that he's got a chance to potentially close some post-season games, and would easily be the closer moving forward.

Remember though, we all feared the same things about K-rod, an equally accomplished closer when we traded for him. The first thing he said was that he expected to be the closer in '11.

Now I saw that reported. I didn't see quotes that Papelbon said that. Papelbon DID however say to Milwaukee reporters that he was hoping to be traded to a contender and was surprised by Chase Utley wanting to stay in Philly wondering aloud;

"Some guys want to stay on a losing team?” Papelbon asked reporters after Wednesday’s 4-1 win over the Milwaukee Brewers. “That's mind-boggling to me. I think that's a no-brainer.”

Why not just do the same thing we did with Axford and K-rod, tell them that they'll decide on a game by game basis who the closer will be? IIRC, K-rod got a few save chances early on before settling into the SU role. Perhaps a big difference being he was due to become a FA while Papelbon is not.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 3 weeks later...

I really believe if the Brewers have any designs on making and then doing something in the playoffs, they need to bit the bullet and work out a trade with Philly for Papelbon if at all possible.

Kintzler just hasn't regained the form he showed last year, Jeffress looks like he has a nice future, but I don't trust him just yet. His slider isn't close to where it needs to be.

We're one really good right hander away from having a really good bullpen. Adding a really good power right hander allows us to matchup in the 6th/7th with Jeffress/Gorz, 7th/8th with Papelbon/Smith/Fiers or Nelson/Duke and then K-rod as the closer.

And if we're going to pay K-rod 8/9 million to close next year, aren't we better off paying Papelbon 13 million to do so and getting his services this year as well? Maybe getting Philly to kick in 2-3 million by adding a better package.

As for his vesting option, we could always work around that without it being obvious. He's had really good seasons in which he hasn't finished 55 games before. Maybe you don't bring him in a game in which he gets up, we score a run or two and take a 4 run lead and just put him in save opportunities.

Just seems like as close as we are, he could take our one weakness and turn it into a legitimate strength.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I think if Papelbon knew he'd close next year he'd "accept" a playoff run pitching the 8th inning/spot closing instead of continuing to play in that dumpsterfire in Philly. All I know is when Kintzler or Jeffress come in I nearly have a heart attack every night.

While the offense has had its ups and downs, IMO the bullpen is the main area for improvement and I have to think there are guys out there who can make enough of a difference in terms of making the postseason and succeeding in it that I think Melvin probably needs to pull the trigger.

Papelbon is one guy who I think could be that kind of difference maker. . . . When the Brewers traded for K-Rod originally and made him the 8th inning guy, all the previous late-inning strength got moved an inning earlier and our BP was that much tougher. Papelbon's got a big contract for this year & beyond, but Rickie Weeks' contract is off the books next year and, in the meantime, Papelbon could provide K-Rod vintage 2011 strength & depth that the team has lost with Henderson & Thornburg out for the duration and the rest of the bullpen proving lately it's not so invincible (meaning they ARE vincible, right? I always thought that was a weird word... anyway...).

Papelbon could still help the Brewers by staying in Philly. They have a lot of game left with Atlanta, Pittsburgh and Miami who are all chasing a wild card spot.

He'd definitely be a difference maker but not sure Brewers want to commit to spending $13 million on a closer for next year. More realistic if he can clear waivers, or get to the Brewers is a guy like Chad Qualls.

While the offense has had its ups and downs, IMO the bullpen is the main area for improvement and I have to think there are guys out there who can make enough of a difference in terms of making the postseason and succeeding in it that I think Melvin probably needs to pull the trigger.

Papelbon is one guy who I think could be that kind of difference maker. . . . When the Brewers traded for K-Rod originally and made him the 8th inning guy, all the previous late-inning strength got moved an inning earlier and our BP was that much tougher. Papelbon's got a big contract for this year & beyond, but Rickie Weeks' contract is off the books next year and, in the meantime, Papelbon could provide K-Rod vintage 2011 strength & depth that the team has lost with Henderson & Thornburg out for the duration and the rest of the bullpen proving lately it's not so invincible (meaning they ARE vincible, right? I always thought that was a weird word... anyway...).

But the unfortunate part is of all the guys who could make a difference - none of them will fall to us in the waivers. Our chance was in July. So don't get your hopes up on us being able to acquire someone.

But the unfortunate part is of all the guys who could make a difference - none of them will fall to us in the waivers. Our chance was in July. So don't get your hopes up on us being able to acquire someone.

Papelbon has cleared waivers and Amaro has stated he'd include cash in a deal. Despite that he admits there's zero interest in him. Declining velocity and his abrasive personality are serious concerns. Despite that I'd still like more help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Brewers could make a move on Papelbon if they a) want a 'proven closer' for 2015-16; and b) don't think they can resign K-Rod after the season for an acceptable rate and length; and c) can get Philly to kick in $6 million or more in cash; and d) don't have to trade anything much of value.

1) You get Papelbon for the stretch run this year.

2) You get a 'proven closer' in Papelbon for 2015-16 at about $10 million a year (he's due $13 million a year, assuming his 2016 option vests, which it likely would, barring injury.)

3) The team doesn't have to overpay in years and salary for a closer on the FA market.

I doubt Papelbon would have an issue coming in for one month and being a set up guy to K-Rod - as long as he knows that he'll be the closer going next year.

I honestly don't like overpaying for relievers, but Melvin seems to love those kind of guys. $8 million to Trevor Hoffman. $10 million to Gagne. He was willing to pay Cordero $11 million a year to be our closer.

As for Papelbon's personality, I guess the team would have to make the call as to whether they want to deal with someone who's somewhat outspoken. Milwaukee seems to value 'team'-type guys.

Maybe Doug thinks we can handle the closer position internally (Smith, Jeffress, Thornburg), but that doesn't seem to be his MO.

Amaro is probably still being stupid with his asking price. The way the trading deadline went he is probably asking for a couple top prospects for Papelbon yet. I would love to add him but I would never trade away anyone in our top 5-7 for a closer. Maybe you give him a Jorge Lopez or Taylor Jungmann but that is about it.

Papelbon has cleared waivers and Amaro has stated he'd include cash in a deal. Despite that he admits there's zero interest in him. Declining velocity and his abrasive personality are serious concerns. Despite that I'd still like more help.

Thanks. I meant there have to be some guys out there who are available -- in other words, who've cleared waivers -- but you'd have to have inferred that since I didn't include those words in my original post.

Maybe it's not an apt comparison, but K-Rod had had character (and legal) issues (brought on himself) in New York and his performance had declined, but coming to the Brewers gave him a new lease on his baseball life and he responded accordingly. I'm not saying Papelbon, if acquired, would duplicate that smooth transition, but you have to wonder if he's okay when winning but can't handle a losing situation and it brings out the worst in him. . . . Still a concern, regardless, but possibilities do exist.

All that said, if there's a upper-end available reliever, and for a better price than Papelbon, I'd hope Melvin could pull off a deal. Papelbon's a guy whose status happens to have been found out, that's all.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We have to remember that any guys getting through waivers are going to have warts. That means performance issues and/or contract issues. Anyone decent will get claimed, like Qualls did by Detroit.

If no one claimed a guy, I think that speaks for itself.

I like that idea, but Jimmy Nelson has only ever been a starter and he's not doing the greatest job at that lately, so I think putting him into an 8th inning role -- let alone into any crucial bullpen role -- would represent a huge leap of faith on many levels.

Now, a day later, K-Rod's penchant for HRs bites them and if trading for Papelbon can help eliminate some of these meltdowns by a bullpen that's not in a great groove -- and make a difference for the Brewers winning the division, I'm all for it in spite of the salary impact.

Who are we realistically looking at giving up for Papelbon though?

I would look at the Houston Street deal

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/streehu01.shtml?mobile=false

One of our minor league guys would have to chime in on if it was a quality or quantity trade though.

July 19, 2014: Traded by the San Diego Padres with Trevor Gott (minors) to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for R.J. Alvarez (minors), Taylor Lindsey (minors), Elliot Morris (minors) and Jose Rondon (minors).

My point being - getting Pap would be similar.

Archived