Brewer Fanatic

2014-07-22 Reds (Bailey) at Brewers (Nelson), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-3, Lucroy Walk-Off HR]

You have to have near irrational level of hate for a manager to think he or to think any MLB manager would ever tell one of his best hitters, if not his best hitter to take on both 3-1 and then 3-2, much less in the 9th inning of a tie game.

Ok, I'll ask you the same question. I don't hate Roenicke at all, though I sometimes question his management. If the dugout's not telling Braun the hit and run is on, and Rickie Weeks on first is not stealing, what are they telling Braun at the plate?

And by the way, Braun was up in the bottom of the eighth. Not the ninth.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, this is the case here.

There is no such thing as a 'take a 3-1 pitch sign'. Maybe in little league or when the worst guy on your softball team is up, but not for 3 hitters in the majors. That would be like deciding to go for 2 after Lucroy's HR; something that does not exist in baseball.

So what were the signs from the dugout about then? He wasn't being told there was a hit and run, because Weeks wasn't moving on either pitch. And Weeks wasn't stealing, though he did with Ramirez up. So what other signs might the dugout have been relaying to Braun?

They give signs every single pitch. Most of the time it is nothing at all.

You have to have near irrational level of hate for a manager to think he or to think any MLB manager would ever tell one of his best hitters, if not his best hitter to take on both 3-1 and then 3-2, much less in the 9th inning of a tie game.

Ok, I'll ask you the same question. I don't hate Roenicke at all, though I sometimes question his management. If the dugout's not telling Braun the hit and run is on, and Rickie Weeks on first is not stealing, what are they telling Braun at the plate?

And by the way, Braun was up in the bottom of the eighth. Not the ninth.

If they only gave signs when a play was in that would take away the surprise

..right?

Yes, this is the case here.

There is no such thing as a 'take a 3-1 pitch sign'. Maybe in little league or when the worst guy on your softball team is up, but not for 3 hitters in the majors. That would be like deciding to go for 2 after Lucroy's HR; something that does not exist in baseball.

So what were the signs from the dugout about then? He wasn't being told there was a hit and run, because Weeks wasn't moving on either pitch. And Weeks wasn't stealing, though he did with Ramirez up. So what other signs might the dugout have been relaying to Braun?

They give signs every single pitch. Most of the time it is nothing at all.

Yep

I'd assume that Roenicke did give a take or swing at your discretion sign though on the 3-0 pitch to Braun, managers often make that call and if i had to put money on his decision, i'd go on the side that Roenicke gave the swing away sign to Braun there, but he simply chose to take.

While i'm not a big fan of Rock as a color analyst, i do think that he made a good point about Braun rarely choosing to swing on 3-0 counts. Once he brought that up, it made me think about the situation and off the top of my head at the time, Ryan doesn't seem to swing often on 3-0 for whatever reason.

Great, 3-0, and Roenicke has him sit there with the bat on his shoulder. Ya, the former NL MVP swinging couldn't do anything for us, considering he's already homered and singled tonight.

I don't recall many times where Brauny would go after a 3-0 pitch.

As others said, you have to give signs all the time, even when nothing is on (bluff signs), so that when you do put something on, it doesn't tip a team off. There is no way he gave him a take sign, no way.

Awesome walk off win!!!

Splits:

Braun had all of 17 3-0 counts this year. 2 were IBB so that means it was really 15. Of those 15, 12 ended in walks, 1 in a single and 2 in strike outs.

He also hasn't put the ball in play on a 3-0 count this year, or last year, totaling 17 PA's. Braun just doesn't swing 3-0 very often.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived