Brewer Fanatic

Cubs DFA Darwin Barney, trade him to Dodgers 7/28

The Cubs have DFA'd Darwin Barney. Barney's not all that bad offensively vs. LHP: .267 BA and .700 OPS career vs. Lefties. This year he's hitting .293 vs. lefties. For those looking to dump Weeks, keep in mind, he's much better defensively than Rickie too and can also play SS. He's picked it up lately too, going 15 for 39 in July.

COME TO PAPPA!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

No-brainer over Bianchi and Falu. Comparing just with Weeks' role over the next 3 months? Tougher call. Can see how the flexibility potentially saves a roster spot, just think we're so far away from having the requisite depth to use the roster spot in another way that nets a positive.

How well does Barney handle the rest of the infield? It looks like he at least has some history playing SS and 3B, so given his decent career numbers against LHP (wRC+ is 89) that sounds like a nice addition to the infield.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They just played Baez at 2nd a few days ago.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How well does Barney handle the rest of the infield? It looks like he at least has some history playing SS and 3B, so given his decent career numbers against LHP (wRC+ is 89) that sounds like a nice addition to the infield.

Barney's natural position is SS. He moved to 2B to accommodate Castro. He was a better hitter in 2011, when the Cubs had a little better lineup that included Ramirez, Soriano, and Byrd.

So trade for Byrd and pickup Barney and get the Cubs band back together I guess :)

I hear Soriano's available as well.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Strictly on talent and production Barney would be an upgrade on Bianchi for sure. At such a low cost I'd make the move instead of trying to find a trading partner for someone else. An upgrade in the hand is worth 2 possible deals at the deadline.

Another Cub to keep an eye one would be Bonafacio...just off the DL and basically showcasing that he's healthy again before the Cubs trade him, I believe he's a switch hitter who can play practically anywhere on the field. Streaky hitter for sure, but IMO he'd be a good piece to add to the Brewers bench and still get close to full-time player ABs with how many positions he can back up.

Might be too many teams interested in him and someone will end up overpaying for his services the rest of this year in a trade.

Selfishly I want to see him go to Boston if he isn't picked up by the Brewers. That name... in that accent... it's a dream come true.

I consider myself a pretty good impersonator of a Boston accent, so now I'm going to spend the rest of the day saying Dahwin Bahney.

Another Cub to keep an eye one would be Bonafacio...just off the DL and basically showcasing that he's healthy again before the Cubs trade him, I believe he's a switch hitter who can play practically anywhere on the field. Streaky hitter for sure, but IMO he'd be a good piece to add to the Brewers bench and still get close to full-time player ABs with how many positions he can back up.

Might be too many teams interested in him and someone will end up overpaying for his services the rest of this year in a trade.

The Cubs cut Barney to make room for Bonifacio, so I'm not sure what their plans are for him. If they were planning on trading him away soon, I'd think they'd have held on to Barney.

Cub fans are starting to get antsy about their long-term rebuilt project. It wouldn't surprise me to see them land Price in trade and extend him. In that case, they may want to toss a couple year extension at Bonifacio, who has been pretty good for them, and could help bridge the gap as their position prospects start to get to the majors.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived