Brewer Fanatic

Chase Headley to the Yankees for Solarte + De Paula

torts

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/yankees-acquire-chase-headley.html

The Yankees have acquired Chase Headley from the Yankees, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (Twitter links). The Yankees will send Yangervis Solarte and minor league right-hander Rafael De Paula to the Padres in return for Headley and $1MM.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Sorry..kind of off topic, but C. Headley made me think of another SD 3rd baseman who shined bright for a brief period of time and then faded rapidly, Phil Nevin. Had to look up Nevin's stats. In 2001 he hit .306 with 41 HRs and 126 RBIs and finished 21st in the MVP balloting!! Tells you a little something about that era of baseball. Headley finished 5th in the MVP balloting a couple of years ago with stats that were a notch or 2 below Nevin's 2001 stats.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

A one and Done magic season player by Headley 2012 no less(lets just assume 2011+12 had PED usage by many,including what was it 3 other Padres?)

The haul the Padres could have gotten for Headley in 2012 could have been Franchise changing and now, this. A likely AAAA INF and a potential P but with an equal amount of flameout potential. I'm sure the Yanks will get some better batting lines than what Headley puts up in Petco. So I consider a big win in trade the Yankees.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/yankees-acquire-chase-headley.html

The Yankees have acquired Chase Headley from the Yankees, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (Twitter links). The Yankees will send Yangervis Solarte and minor league right-hander Rafael De Paula to the Padres in return for Headley and $1MM.

This is crazy to me... I know hes having a down year, but in a better hitters park with better hitters around him in the lineup Headley should see a nice jump in offense. Pair that with the fact that he is a switch hitter that plays great defense, I think the brewers should have made this deal, I am stunned at how low the price was, he would have been an instant upgrade from the brewers in a corner infield semi platoon role. For the price of essential Hector Gomez + one of Magnifico, Hobbs Johnson, or Austin Ross... that blows me away, nice deal for the Yanks.

Verified Member

Surprisingly poor return for San Diego. Even in his down seasons Headley is an above-average 3B because of his defense. I guess you're just getting a couple months of him, but still.

I would be love for the Brewers to move A-Ram to 1B and pursue Headley this offseason if this foretells the kind of contract he's going to be available for.

Community Moderator

It amazes me how quickly Headley's stock has dropped over the past two years in San Diego. I do tend to think he will have a bit of a late season revival in New York this season which should boost his free agent value. I also found this short synopsis from a Baseball Prospectus article by Sam Miller about Headley to be somewhat encouraging.

Headley’s outlook is a bit more promising than it was a month ago. Since July 1st, he has put up a funny little .323/.323/.462 line that wouldn’t mean much except that roughly half of the balls he has put in play during that time have been line drives. That slash line includes seven lineouts in 15 games. Mike Napoli, by comparison, has hit six lineouts all year.

That spray of red (referring to Headley's spray chart since July 1 from BrooksBaseball.net) reduces, if doesn’t quell, concerns about a player who has been playing with a herniated disk since late June, when he received a cortisone shot. PECOTA doesn’t see this as a division-shaking move, putting the upgrade from Solarte to Headley at about a half a win over the rest of the season, but it’s easy enough to dream on a healthy Chase Headley rediscovering his stroke, finding redemption in the Yankees’ right-field dimensions (the bulk of his massive career home/road splits have come from the left side, where his OPS is 135 points higher on the road), and adding an All-Star bat to middle of the order. Try finding another plan so plausible at a price less than this. —Sam Miller

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived