Brewer Fanatic

The Reds Infield could be their downfall

For those who didn't see the Reds/Yanks finale yesterday: Bottom of the 9th with one out and the winning run on 3rd, Chapman induced a high pop fly to very short RF. It dropped between the three befuddled fielders and the winning run scored.

Skip Schumaker playing 2B for the injured BP and Frazier on 1st for Votto, and Bruce in RF. Nobody took charge on the play. Bruce came running in like a bat out of hell as he was playing shallow which must have caused the other two to be tentative. He pulled up when he realized that they had the better play, but it was too late.

Votto makes that play. BP makes it. The sheer unfamiliarity of the right side of the defense was exposed at the cost of the game. I have to figure that the loss of those two all star players will cost the Reds a post season spot. They're just too valuable to the Reds at the plate and in the infield.

http://www2.cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/files/2013/06/USATSI_7277665_114803983_lowres.jpg

lets hope we see that this series we need to take 3/3 from them.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

How long with Phillips and Votto be out?

From an interview on Sunday with Jim Bowden, about 5 more weeks for both:

#Reds GM Walt Jocketty just told us that both Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips are approximately 5 weeks away…ouch Sirius 209 XM 89

Probably looking at returns no earlier than in September, if I had to guess.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

How long with Phillips and Votto be out?
Six weeks for BP. Votto's situation is quite iffy. A partially torn quad muscle can be played on. He tried a few weeks back. Of course that was a mistake. If their doctors had their way they would probably prescribe several months of rest. I guess they will rush him back before September.

Equally concerning for the Reds is Jay Bruce. Though healthy, he's batting .229 with only 10 HRs. I don't see them hanging in now. No way in the world. Maybe next year.

Im not ready to write the Reds off just yet. I still say CIN STL and PIT make this division interesting until late August
The word "interesting" in this case is quite a relative term AZ. The Reds' rotation is sound, but the offense and infield defense is in shambles. Frazier and Hamilton are the only ones even batting .280 and the daily lineups appear to be decided by a dart board.

I think the question is can they play .500 ball 'till Votto and Dat Dude return? They are now at a season high of 5 straight losses and I have no doubt that Lohse will make it 6 tonight. They could make some kind of acquisition to shore them up but that has not been their history in the Jockety era, a very sore spot for Reds fans.

In any other division they might have a chance to get back in it, but not this one.

Im not ready to write the Reds off just yet. I still say CIN STL and PIT make this division interesting until late August
They are now 1-9 in the last 10. I don't see any way in the world for them to come back now. Not in the NL Central. GABP is becoming a ghost town and it will get worse when the Bengals start the football season. It's a shame, but that's baseball.

Barring future DL issues it certainly looks like the Brewers and Cards will go one-two with the Pirates battling for that 2nd wild card 'till the last days of the season. I'm convinced that the Giants will fall off. Picking up Peavy and Uggla was a sure sign of desperation.

• 3 weeks later...
8 games back now, with 38 to play. They're not eliminated, but at this point, the Reds are not a factor unless they (somehow) get really hot.
But they (and the Cubs) ARE a factor as spoilers. I don't know what teams the Brewers have trouble with, but the Cubs give the Cardinals fits, as do all AL teams. It's been that way for years. Only Cincy has a worse record this season.

Just as it looked like Cincy had stabilized, they cough up 2 big leads and lose a double-dip to the worst team in baseball. (with no Cargo or Tulo) And the cruelest shot of all was that they were one strike from winning game 1 when their old friend, Drew Stubbs hit a GWHR. What a bitter pill to swallow. GABP will become a ghost town this week. Seven hours of baseball and their pen must be shot. It will be a quiet flight to St. Louis.

McCutchen is ahead of schedule, but this 5 game losing streak is a crusher. It may force his early return. But they will most likely get back on track vs. Atlanta, who have become very easy to beat. They trail the Nats by 6 now, and the Marlins are breathing down their necks, only 2 game behind.

8.5 back behind 3 teams with 38 to play? The Reds are toast as far as winning the division. They have remote shot at a wild card still.

As for playing spoilers, yeah, but it's much easier for a team like the Cubs that isn't dealing with unfulfilled expectations to rally around the spoiler angle. Brewers just need to keep playing well regardless of opponent.

The Brewers have had "luck" on their side, as the rest of the division has been decimated by injuries while they have {knock on wood} remained relatively healthy. Thankfully they've taken advantage of it, and hopefully it will last for another month and a half.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Brewers have had "luck" on their side, as the rest of the division has been decimated by injuries while they have {knock on wood} remained relatively healthy.

About damn time compared to the Brewers' injury/off the field-related woes over the past few seasons. Even if they've remained largely healthy, the 2014 Brewers have lost two quality RH power arms out of the pen in Thornburg and Henderson, plus Garza's out for at least awhile longer. Braun's been on the DL and is having an uneven season by his standards. Ramirez has been on the DL. The injuries, particularly to pitching, on this team haven't been catastrophic because they've gotten enough contributions from the depth they've built up...something nobody thought they had going into this year.

Don't forget either that the Reds still owe Votto 200 plus million through age 40. They are going to regret that extension big time.
Are you serious!?? Age 40! When will these teams ever learn? That reminds me...are the Mets still paying Bonilla?

BP is starting tonight at 2b for the Reds..... Cutch is taking batting practice swings now. He has on some kind of restraining girdle. If they bring him back they'll be sorry. Ribs don't heal in 2 or 3 weeks.

Molina's playing catch. No word on when he'll be fit, but with AJ doing a pretty good job there's no urgent need to rush. The Reds' problem is Skip Schumaker playing 2B has been a near disaster.

Archived