Brewer Fanatic

Should Brewers be sellers?

FVBrewerFan
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would trading say, Gomez, Yo, and Duke (for example) equal some sort of massive rebuilding for the next 3 years? I don't understand why/how that makes the Brewers a 60 win team with no chance at the playoffs for the next 3 years.

Leading the division is fools gold. Making the playoffs is fine, but it's not good enough anymore. If you want to see a legitimate run for a World Series, we need a better rotation. Once again, I'm not talking about trading Braun for 3 single A guys. I'm talking about trading a Braun or Gomez for a top 10 prospect. A "can't miss" stud starter. No such thing as can't miss? True. But also no guarantee Braun will ever be 100% healthy either. Or than Gomez won't become a .230 hitter overnight within the next couple years.

But if you guys really believe Yo, Lohse, Garza can win 2-3 playoff series...good luck with that. I much rather put all my chips in a pot I can win.

Oh really...making the playoffs is not good enough now? Do you not realize we've made the playoffs 4...count em, FOUR, times in the past 50 years? And it's been 3 years since we saw October baseball? I suggest you begin to appreciate how much fun the Brewers have supplied us with the first 1/2 of the year and cheer it on for all it's worth in the 2nd half. We have been THE BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL for a good portion of the year thus far. Let that sink in for a moment.

I took it back about 8 posts ago, but that's ok. I re-read my posts and realized I was sounding dangerously close to WHOAA SOLVVD (with slightly better spelling and grammar.)

Objectively, I still don't think the odds are in our favor. But after some of you pointed out past WS winners, I went back and looked at the rotations that won the WS the last 10-12 years. Gave me a sliver of hope at least.

To finish tying this up, I want to be clear that I never expected the Brewes to be sellers. I'm crazy, but not stupid. I get that a 1st place team isn't going to trade a Braun or Gomez at the trade deadline. I also never suggested they should trade the entire list of names I outlined in my original post. Those were all examples of guys they could trade, not necessarily all of them. For example, even I would never suggest they trade BOTH Braun/Gomez.

Anyhow, it was more of a rant probably best suited for the IGT, but I still think some of those moves should be explored in the off-season. There seems to be real prospects in the lower levels of the minors, but they need an influx of talent in Fresno and Biloxi (or wherever they end up playing next year.)

There's some "adult language" here (for anyone who's never seen Animal House), but I thought this sums things up nicely :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The White Sox's were something like 3 games out and decided to sell. I think this was the Terry Bevington era.

They were also well under .500 at the time. The only reason they were anywhere near contention was because of how terrible the division was.

If the goal of baseball was to have the best farm system then by all means sell. Then again if that is the goal we might as well give up because no matter how much we trade the Cubs are too far ahead of us right now to catch up. They've been selling for about five years now. Just too much ground to make up for the coveted title of "possible contender in a couple years if all the prospects pan out." So we might as well just keep our players and settle for the less coveted but more attainable World Series contender.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived