Brewer Fanatic

Jimmy Nelson called up; Wang placed on DL with "shoulder tightness"

trwi7
Has Wang pitched in the minors yet, or has his rehab assignment not started yet? Curious how he will fare against competition he should be facing at this point in his career.

Also, can he be used as a starter on the rehab stint? Would be nice to rack up some innings and not end the year with a drastically low inning count.

No he hasn't pitched yet, that would have started the 30 day window and he would have had to be called up before Sep 1st.

Yes he can start, and likely will build it into over a couple of outings before being recalled by the Brewers in September.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wang's minor league rehab assignment starts today in rookie-level arizona. his assignment can last up to 30 days, meaning the brewers can keep him in the minors and not have to recall him until september, when the rosters expand to 40. he no longer needs to "waste" a 25-man roster spot.

Also, can (Wang) be used as a starter on the rehab stint? Would be nice to rack up some innings and not end the year with a drastically low inning count.

gord ash indicated today that wang will be stretched out as a starter to maximize his innings.

Hey Mods, I think the site is broken. I just saw someone admit to being wrong on the internet.

We're due for an update on February 29th next year.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I know it is early but I have been pretty impressed with Nelson so far. Over 8K per nine innings, less than 1 Hit per inning, 1.23 WHIP.

He has had a couple bad innings including the 6th last night but I have to say the early returns are positive and I am glad we didn't trade him at the deadline. His stuff looks like it belongs to be here. Having Peralta and Nelson has really good starts in pre-arby and arby over the next 5 years is pretty exciting if you ask me.

Nelson needs to master/ throw his change more often, otherwise he will have a tough time being a top of the rotation guy. The speed of his 4 seamer, 2 seamer, and slider are all too close. Guys can adjust to him by the 3rd AB, and that's what we've been seeing in his starts. They can sit there and wait for something hard. He needs the change (or curve) so batters have that in mind.

only 2 games before a promotion? that injury must really be healing quickly!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

He's is going to start on Sunday I believe.

After two starts at Arizona, left-hander Wei-Chung Wang will be promoted to Class A Wisconsin before his next start on Sunday, according to Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash. Wang was a Rule 5 Draft pick and pitched sparingly before he was placed on the DL last month with a tight shoulder.

It's in the notes at the end of the Kintzler story.

He was in MLB earlier this year, shouldn't be stretch to promote him to low A as quickly as possible. Hope I get to see him pitch in Appleton this year.

He's is going to start on Sunday I believe.

He is, but that's a road game....

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully he's working on his change-up.

From Fan Graphs.

We don’t have as good an idea of baseball’s worst pitches. The truth is baseball’s worst pitches don’t get thrown often outside the bullpen. They’re projects in which pitchers don’t have confidence, so you don’t see them in games. But we can skip over to something related, something that might stand as a decent proxy: We have the data to identify baseball’s least-effective pitches. At least among pitches that are thrown more than once or twice a month. This is one of the uses of the FanGraphs pitch-value data, and if you set a 50-pitch minimum, the second-least effective pitch this year has been Wei-Chung Wang‘s changeup. And the first-least effective pitch this year? That honor belongs to Drew Smyly.

• 3 weeks later...
Nelson needs to master/ throw his change more often, otherwise he will have a tough time being a top of the rotation guy. The speed of his 4 seamer, 2 seamer, and slider are all too close. Guys can adjust to him by the 3rd AB, and that's what we've been seeing in his starts. They can sit there and wait for something hard. He needs the change (or curve) so batters have that in mind.

You have to think that is going to be far and away his top priority next ST'ing. Difference from potential ace to nice #3(along with better command obviously).

Same with Peralta.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived