Brewer Fanatic

Jimmy Nelson called up; Wang placed on DL with "shoulder tightness"

trwi7

Too little too late??

Bullpen in shambles. Outfielders who can't stay on the field. Roenicke manipulating with lineups.

This team was doing fine during a stretch of playing 20 straight days. Then they had that funky schedule, with an off day, followed by two day games in mid week in Toronto, and another off day. With All Star break on the horizon, the team somehow got the idea they had earned a two week vacation. I blame some of that on Roenicke who also deserves blame for letting horrendous base running slide, not seeing that guys he had counted on earlier in the pen were struggling.

It's going to be hard to regain momentum that was lost basically overnight. Nelson should help. Maybe the break will cause them to re-energize. But they need to bring in a proven 8th inning reliever, and now.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But they need to bring in a proven 8th inning reliever, and now.

They won't. They'll wait for Henderson's velocity to come back. If it doesn't, they'll wait for Thornburg. I would bring up Fiers and Jeffress yesterday. Of course the 8th inning guy doesn't matter if you enter the 8th every night down 4-1....

Watch this, Wang will stay on the DL until at least close (to) the roster expansion on September 1

if the brewers have hopes of making the postseason, it's probably in their best interests to not activate wang until 1 september (or later, when rosters can expand to 40).

the 25-man roster that you have on 31 august (plus any players on the disabled list) are the players you get to choose from for each round of your postseason roster.

wang can be activated from the 15-day disabled list as early as 26 july, or placed on a 30-day minor league rehab assignment, from which he could be activated as early as 25 august. if the brewers can just wait another week before starting his rehab assignment, they can activate him on 1 september (or later) and choose from other players for their postseason roster.

bottom line, the brewers do not want wang on their 25-man roster on 31 august. if he is, they better hope that there is a quality replacement on the disabled list expected to return to full strength in september and beyond.

How convienient that Wang had shoulder tightness right when we needed his roster spot........

The Brewers needed his roster spot many times before this.

Yes, beginning March 31st and pretty much every day after that.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

With All Star break on the horizon, the team somehow got the idea they had earned a two week vacation.

Or maybe they are just playing poorly.

It's pretty darn difficult to win games when you can't score any runs. :(

Too little too late??

Bullpen in shambles. Outfielders who can't stay on the field. Roenicke manipulating with lineups.

This team was doing fine during a stretch of playing 20 straight days. Then they had that funky schedule, with an off day, followed by two day games in mid week in Toronto, and another off day. With All Star break on the horizon, the team somehow got the idea they had earned a two week vacation. I blame some of that on Roenicke who also deserves blame for letting horrendous base running slide, not seeing that guys he had counted on earlier in the pen were struggling.

It's going to be hard to regain momentum that was lost basically overnight. Nelson should help. Maybe the break will cause them to re-energize. But they need to bring in a proven 8th inning reliever, and now.

I don't know how it could POSSIBLY be "too little, too late," when it's(hopefully) a significant upgrade and B-It's July and the Brewers are still in 1st place.

And they need their BP to get a break and get healthy, but lets not overreact about how they need an elite reliever and they need it NOW. Their OF'ers can't stay on the field? Braun...Braun's had injuries. I wouldn't exactly call Gomez or Davis injury prone. Roenicke manipulating the lineup? Yeah, that's a significant part of his job description.

The Reds have injuries to Homer Bailey, Phillips and Votto.

The Cards have injuries to Wacha, Garcia, Molina among others.

The Pirates have issues with their SP'ing, namely Cole just going back on the DL.

So no, the Brewers aren't a perfectly constructed team, but they're looking just fine right now. I don't know how the suggestion could even be made that it's too late....momentum can change real quick in baseball.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I really hope he does a fantastic job but if he pitches like Marco who is the board going to hate then?

You seem to go to the hyperbole well quite often when it comes to Marco Estrada. I can't speak for the rest of the posters on here, I simply saw a clear and obvious upgrade to our starting rotation and was eager to see it.

You believe that some had a ridiculous lack of respect for Gallardo because we didn't believe(those who you were referencing) would net a significant prospect in return.

Estrada has been good in short stretches for the Brewers, but is a replacement level pitcher. We had the top rated MLB ready pitcher in the minors available and many were hoping to see him replace the guy who'd given up nearly 30 HR's in half a season. That's not hatred that's pragmatism.

I'm all for Nelson continuing his streak of 7 inning starts with no runs allowed. Not unexpected news, but still exciting that it is finally here and hopefully it serves as a nice momentum changer.

Wow. Yeah, I have to agree with the last two comments. That Jimmy Nelson came up and didn't continue to dominate like he had previously for the Brewers or for the Sounds is telling. It certainly means that he's scared. It also means we might as well have started Estrada because...hey, we lost.

Nelson is going to be fine.

Yea what a sweet time to pitch, right after a starting team-mates infant child dies and every-ones morale is poo. Oh and while they're trying to cope, let's make sure it's against the division rival who's been catching fire, and hey, why not throw the rook against the second best pitcher in the NL, Adam Wainwright. Not to mention he's probably aware of the super2status and thinks he'll probably just get sent back down whether he does good or not. Yea, what a great situation to get thrown in to.

However, don't get me wrong, Big Jim was leaving pitches up and that's pretty lame on his part. After shining so bright in the PCL it's just inexcusable to be serving balls belly-high for the major league st.louis cardinals. He could've easily won 13+ games this year, but not if he's getting thrown against the best pitchers in the league.

Hindsight is always 20/20. When we play a game and don't score any runs, we could say "we might as well have started Herrera and Schafer instead of Braun and Gomez... they couldn't have done worse." But, of course you don't do that. Rather, you put the team on the field that you believe will give you the best chance to win. After that, anything can happen. Going forward, it seems that having Nelson in the rotation and Estrada in the pen gives us the best chance of success, regardless of what happened in one game.

So, we go into All Star break one game in the lead in the NL Central, and Nelson is now in the rotation. I hope we can find an upgrade at first base without giving up the farm, and it would be nice to make a "Hairston-type" trade to find a bench upgrade. Whether or not that happens, I look forward to the second half. Maybe they straighten things out, maybe they falter. Either way, they're in a better position at this point than I thought they'd be, so I'm not going to get too distraught over what should have been an expected period of not playing all that well. It doesn't mean the sky has fallen, just that the season is long and there are going to be highs and lows. Even though it ended with a couple weeks of "low," most of the first half was a "high," so there is plenty of reason to be happy with this team going into All Star break. Go National League!!

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

. Not to mention he's probably aware of the super2status and thinks he'll probably just get sent back down whether he does good or not. Yea, what a great situation to get thrown in to.

Jeff Todd has reported that Nelson cannot not qualify for Super2 status.

. Not to mention he's probably aware of the super2status and thinks he'll probably just get sent back down whether he does good or not. Yea, what a great situation to get thrown in to.

That's an awfully big assumption. He may be right and I have to believe that Melvin or somebody working for him is keeping track of service time of the players likely to be in the same arby year as Nelson. If it was a straight service time thing I would agree but it goes by percentage.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

That's an awfully big assumption. He may be right and I have to believe that Melvin or somebody working for him is keeping track of service time of the players likely to be in the same arby year as Nelson. If it was a straight service time thing I would agree but it goes by percentage.

While it's certainly a fluid situation in what is going to equal 22%, the lowest ever over the past five years has been set at 2 years, 122 days. Nelson has 28 days of service time before his Saturday callup. So assuming he gets 2 full years over 2015 and 2016, that leaves him 94 days of leeway in 2014, to approach the LOWEST mark over the past few years. The anticipated number is 2 yrs 128 days.

So 31 days in August, 28 days in September, and 19 days in July would give him 2 years, 106 days...which is 16 days shorter than lowest ever over the past 5 years (2, 122) & 22 days shorter than the anticipated amount. I don't see the fludity reaching 2yrs, 106 days to call Jeff Todd's reporting an awfully big assumption. The data is there to suggest that 2 yrs, 106 days is plenty safe.

•2013: 2.122

•2012: 2.139

•2011: 2.146

•2010: 2.122

•2009: 2.139

a full season is 183 service days, 11 more than what constitutes 1 year of service (172 days). as has been posted before, all of 2015 and 2016 would be 366 days of service (2.022 years), he already has 28 days from last year and this year (2.050 years), so the remaining total to stay below the 2 years, 122 day threshold is 72 days (2.122).

They are clearly operating on the assumption that the Super2 cut off will be higher than last years lowest

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I really hope he does a fantastic job but if he pitches like Marco who is the board going to hate then?

There is always Weeks, ya know. ;)

Don't forget our fearless leader......RRR.

:tongue

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

wheres Yuni when you need him

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

the lowest ever over the past five years has been set at 2 years, 122 days

Keep in mind that going back five years isn't going to help us unless someone takes the time to apply the newer 22% rule to them. Hopefully, GMs have done that and have a better idea of what it might take to achieve Super Two than we would.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 2 weeks later...

Has Wang pitched in the minors yet, or has his rehab assignment not started yet? Curious how he will fare against competition he should be facing at this point in his career.

Also, can he be used as a starter on the rehab stint? Would be nice to rack up some innings and not end the year with a drastically low inning count.

Archived