Brewer Fanatic

Reds' Injuries

With Baily, Votto and now Hamilton ailing the Cubs are giving them their moneys worth today. Benches emptied to the field. (Chapman chin music) in the 9th in this tie game. WGN FYI

Tough injury breaks for both the Cards and the Reds. The depth of both these teams will be challenged while the Brewers try to recover from this recent free fall.

I am still looking forward to this big upcoming series against the Cards. Regardless of the Brewers recent struggles it is still good to be playing meaningful baseball heading into the break!

Phillips probably gone for season with thumb surgery, and Bailey left the game with a knee issue although he's expected to make his next start.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Phillips probably gone for season with thumb surgery, and Bailey left the game with a knee issue although he's expected to make his next start.

That one's a crusher. The man can really play some 2B. I estimate he robs hitters about 2 times a game. 3 if you're a Cardinal.

Not sure how serious this is, and I am not wishing for it, but it looked like Chapman had a hamstring injury in the ASG tonight.

Agreed. Maybe enough to miss next week's contests?

Hopefully enough to knock him out for as long as Kelly was down.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The Votto contract might end up putting the Reds in a hole it will take years for them to emerge from.

I'm sure the Reds realized at the time of the deal that they weren't going to get good value the last year or 3 of the deal.

And Votto is having a bad year by his measure and has been playing hurt. Yet he still has been pretty damn good. As of 2 weeks ago his line was .273/.410/.443 with a OPS of .853.

He was obviously hurting as of late, but even now he's still got a .390 OBP and a .800 OPS.

25 million for a 40 year old is almost never going to work out great, but in 9-10 years, the top AAV for players will likely start with a 4. So unless you believe Votto is going to never come back and be the guy he was last year or his entire career, I doubt it's going to cripple the Reds to this degree.

The Votto contract might end up putting the Reds in a hole it will take years for them to emerge from.

I'm sure the Reds realized at the time of the deal that they weren't going to get good value the last year or 3 of the deal.

And Votto is having a bad year by his measure and has been playing hurt. Yet he still has been pretty damn good. As of 2 weeks ago his line was .273/.410/.443 with a OPS of .853.

He was obviously hurting as of late, but even now he's still got a .390 OBP and a .800 OPS.

25 million for a 40 year old is almost never going to work out great, but in 9-10 years, the top AAV for players will likely start with a 4. So unless you believe Votto is going to never come back and be the guy he was last year or his entire career, I doubt it's going to cripple the Reds to this degree.

Votto is nowhere near the player he was 2 years ago. Once umpires actually start enforcing the strike zone when he's batting, his OB skills will decline too. He's getting the kind of injuries that occur to players as they age. In short, he's an old 30.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Brandon Phillips' contract isn't any gem either. He's owed $39 million over the next three seasons - ages 34-36. His speed, power and OBP has declined to the point where he's barely a .700 OPS guy. At least he's still a very good fielder, so he'll probably always at least be a contributor.

Votto is nowhere near the player he was 2 years ago. Once umpires actually start enforcing the strike zone when he's batting, his OB skills will decline too. He's getting the kind of injuries that occur to players as they age. In short, he's an old 30.

You think the fact that his BABIP has dropped .372, .361, .349, .404, .360 to .299 this year might have a little something to do with that despite the fact LD% is actually higher than his career numbers? That and the fact that he has been injured? Sometimes...players just have bad years.

As for being an "old 30," I'm not really sure how to respond to that, so I won't. I don't think anyone here's qualified to make such a statement. I do of course think the suggestion that his walks are the result of umps "not enforcing the strike zone," is outlandish.

Votto is dealing with injuries that players deal with at any point in their career. He's hardly getting old.

He's got a quad injury that put him on the DL earlier in the year and the Reds hinted at the fact that he would deal with it for the rest of the season before he came back at the beginning of June.

He's a 1st basemen who is the best OB guy in the game. That ages well. He's also been exceptionally unlucky this year. He didn't have microfracture surgery, he's not a SS, CF or C who derives his value from his defense. He's a star player who's struggling. Lets not start writing the obituary and claiming conspiracy theories just yet(umps who have a different strike zone for him). I'd be willing to bet that he'll be back healthy next year and again leading the league or near the league in OBP, hitting .300 and one of the premier hitters in the game.

I just think this is a classic overreaction. The guy has been great every year, he gets a quad injury, his BABIP drops and now he's an "old 30," and his salary is going to cripple the Reds for years because of it. Don't you think that's a bit premature? Aside from his already burdensome contract, I don't think there is nearly as much to take away from this nagging injury as you seem to.

Archived