Brewer Fanatic

Marlon Byrd

I would imagine so. He's 36 and is due 8 million this year and next. And the Phillies have a lot of solid OF prospects in their top 10. In fact, Sickels had 5-10 all OF'ers I believe.

But just how much value does a right handed hitting OF'er have for us when we have to pay 8 million next year for him to backup Braun/Davis? I don't think he's a good option to be THEE backup for Gomez (though you could get by for a little while).

I just think if the Brewers are going to add that type of salary, they're going to want to add it to area that's a bigger need(utility IF'er, reliever) and if Byrd is traded, there are likely other teams who would pursue him more aggressively.

But just in terms of how he helps the Brewers, I think he'd be great. And if they believe Braun should get a day or two per week, maybe he is a better target. Pretty consistent ~.800 OPS guy the last few years.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Could he be had as a 4th outfielder/Power off the bench?

With his defense and his .800 OPS, it would seem to me that he is a lot better than most team's starters, nonetheless being a bench guy. So I am not sure how he would take to that role.

Unless the Brewers had another trade in the works to move K.Davis because the other team wanted a young OFer, I don't see this happening.

Wasn't Cruz paid like 9 mil this year? I would have rather we paid him that kind of money.

Well if you could see the future, yeah, I'd have been on board with signing Cruz as well. There are a lot of things you'd do differently. I wouldn't have included Michael Brantley in the trade for CC and would have included Angel Salome who they desperately wanted.

Guy is 2nd in the league in HR's, and plays decent D. I don't think he's quite ready to be a backup.

I did NOT realize he had 18 HR's. He is also just 6 shy of his career high. And he's actually 4th in the NL and would be 15th in MLB overall, but still, better than I thought. Though playing in Philly can certainly help a guys HR numbers.

He also doesn't rank in the top 50 in OPS. If he hit left handed, he'd be a lot more enticing. But he probably too expensive and too good to come in and get 10-15 PA's a week unless they're more worried about Braun's injuries.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

If Byrd is traded, some team is going to give up something valuable for him to be their starter for the stretch run. I'd rather the Brewers not match that offer for him to sit on the bench.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Brewers could really use a LH outfield bat, but the market is pretty thin in that regard. Most of the logical available names like Schierholz and Venable for instance are having terrible years. That's why they are likely sticking with Schafer.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I did NOT realize he had 18 HR's. He is also just 6 shy of his career high. And he's actually 4th in the NL and would be 15th in MLB overall, but still, better than I thought. Though playing in Philly can certainly help a guys HR numbers.

He also doesn't rank in the top 50 in OPS. If he hit left handed, he'd be a lot more enticing. But he probably too expensive and too good to come in and get 10-15 PA's a week unless they're more worried about Braun's injuries.

Oh, oops. As of LAST week, he was 2nd in the NL in homers. :D

Even so, if anything, he's an upgrade (this year) from K. Davis......I just don't see Byrd coming in and embracing a bench role.

Even so, if anything, he's an upgrade (this year) from K. Davis

This season, there are 24 players in the National League hitting for an OPS of .800 or more. Four of them are Brewers, so the other 14 teams have a combined 20 players with an OPS of .800 or more (1.43 per team). Khris Davis, along with most of the Brewers, has fallen off a bit recently, lowering his OPS to .776, ranking him 31st amongst all qualifying NL batters. Marlon Byrd is in 27th place with a .794 OPS.

Davis is in his first full season, and is doing pretty well. I'd be upset if they traded someone of value to knock Davis out of the lineup for Marlon Byrd.

To the larger point, everyone please note that we have six positions manned by players hitting well above average. Segura isn't going to be replaced, so rather than trying to find an upgrade at a position where we already have a good player, we need to focus on upgrading first base and the bench. Corner OF isn't a problem and Byrd isn't a bench player, so he isn't someone we should target unless someone gets seriously hurt in the next few weeks.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Monty nailed it. Byrd's a good player. So is Khris Davis. The difference isn't that much. It's a large salary to take on for a marginal increase of productivity. Focus on the bench, 1B and bullpen if you want to upgrade.

Even so, if anything, he's an upgrade (this year) from K. Davis

This season, there are 24 players in the National League hitting for an OPS of .800 or more. Four of them are Brewers, so the other 14 teams have a combined 20 players with an OPS of .800 or more (1.43 per team). Khris Davis, along with most of the Brewers, has fallen off a bit recently, lowering his OPS to .776, ranking him 31st amongst all qualifying NL batters. Marlon Byrd is in 27th place with a .794 OPS.

Davis is in his first full season, and is doing pretty well. I'd be upset if they traded someone of value to knock Davis out of the lineup for Marlon Byrd.

To the larger point, everyone please note that we have six positions manned by players hitting well above average. Segura isn't going to be replaced, so rather than trying to find an upgrade at a position where we already have a good player, we need to focus on upgrading first base and the bench. Corner OF isn't a problem and Byrd isn't a bench player, so he isn't someone we should target unless someone gets seriously hurt in the next few weeks.

My point isn't that I want K. Davis moved to the bench. The point is taking on 8 million dollars in salary to get a guy who's (virtually) the same player as Davis is not an area of need. Byrd's not a bench player, and we don't need an 8 million dollar 4th OF. We have other areas of need that are more pressing that I'd rather see our resources go towards.

Sorry RoCo. I misread your statement and thought you were saying that we should get him because he would be an upgrade to Davis. After your last post, I see that we're on the same page on this. Let Byrd fly elsewhere.

~Bill Walsh

Archived