Brewer Fanatic

2014-07-09 Phillies (Hernandez) at Brewers (Lohse), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-1... have lost 8 of 9, after winning 8 of previous 10]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being aggressive is one thing, but being just flat out stupid about is another. We're facing a pitcher that has struggled with control all year long (over 5 BB/9 innings). And yet, he manages to basically get through 8 innings around the 80 pitch mark. I'd like to think they are pressing and trying to do too much, but I just don't think that's the case. And basically the entire team is slumping at the plate - no power, no clutch hits and no runs.

We're still in first, but we'll be extremely lucky to be there come Sunday. How does a team go 20 games over for 80 games and then just suddenly becomes the worst team in baseball (at least at this moment)? It's frustrating and sadly, it seemed like all of us were just waiting for this to happen. Maybe we'll rebound, but man it sure doesn't seem like it right now.

Per ESPN, the Phillies are:

25th in runs scored

28th in batting average

27th in on base percentage

29th in slugging percentage

20th in ERA

17th in quality starts

22nd in WHIP

16th in BAA

And they're one win from sweeping a four game series from the Brewers at home after losing nine in a row.

Ouch.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Being aggressive is one thing, but being just flat out stupid about is another. We're facing a pitcher that has struggled with control all year long (over 5 BB/9 innings). And yet, he manages to basically get through 8 innings around the 80 pitch mark. I'd like to think they are pressing and trying to do too much, but I just don't think that's the case. And basically the entire team is slumping at the plate - no power, no clutch hits and no runs.

We're still in first, but we'll be extremely lucky to be there come Sunday. How does a team go 20 games over for 80 games and then just suddenly becomes the worst team in baseball (at least at this moment)? It's frustrating and sadly, it seemed like all of us were just waiting for this to happen. Maybe we'll rebound, but man it sure doesn't seem like it right now.

I just wanted to say that I agree with you. I don't think this team is simply being aggressive. They're not playing smart baseball. A couple games ago it was mistakes on the bases that cost us. Now we can't even get on base to make base running mistakes.

Whoever our hitting coach is, they need to get through to our hitters, because nothing is working. Segura is awful. He's a black hole, and he's hitting second? Sit him down for a while. He doesn't deserve to be playing right now.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Losers of 8 of 9

The Offense scored 2runs or fewer in 6 of those 9. 4 runs twice and 7 runs being the outburst(5in the first inning)

24runs total

In that same span the Pitching in 9 games has held their opponents to 4 runs or less 6 of the games(usually the benchmark to win games)

Total given up: 45runs. -19 in 2 games and it's 26 in the other 7games.

I just don't know how to take it. If the Pitching is keeping you in the games 66% of the time you should win more than 1 game. So, maybe there's light at the end of this stretch. Just the Bats waking up, but this game clearly shows how asleep they are.

The biggest problem batters have been Gomez, Segura, Braun at swinging so early in the count. Now, Gomez and Braun are .300 hitters but Segura at .232 with just a .266 OB. I'm at the point right now where you trade for a SS and sit him. We're talking as bad or worse looking than Yuni!! At the Plate.

Watching this lineup tonight was like watching my 5 year old sons tee ball team on the first day of coach pitch. You have a bat, you are supposed to hit the ball, you must swing at every pitch....

The only professional hitter on this team is Lucroy. Anyone remember the days the last couple years watching Aoki battle and see 10+ pitches in an AB consistently. Love the fresh prince, but I wish this team had a couple guys who were more patient.

Losers of 8 of 9

The Offense scored 2runs or fewer in 6 of those 9. 4 runs twice and 7 runs being the outburst(5in the first inning)

24runs total

In that same span the Pitching in 9 games has held their opponents to 4 runs or less 6 of the games(usually the benchmark to win games)

Total given up: 45runs. -19 in 2 games and it's 26 in the other 7games.

I just don't know how to take it. If the Pitching is keeping you in the games 66% of the time you should win more than 1 game. So, maybe there's light at the end of this stretch. Just the Bats waking up, but this game clearly shows how asleep they are.

The biggest problem batters have been Gomez, Segura, Braun at swinging so early in the count. Now, Gomez and Braun are .300 hitters but Segura at .232 with just a .266 OB. I'm at the point right now where you trade for a SS and sit him. We're talking as bad or worse looking than Yuni!! At the Plate.

Segura right now is one of the worst every day players in baseball. And it kills me to say that, because I'm a big Jean Segura fan. All his athletic abilities aside, and baseball potential aside, I like him as a person. You never hear him complaining, he never sulks. It's funny, but I liken him to Rickie Weeks. Even when they have played poorly, they're not a bad in the clubhouse. There are players who have had slumps and were impossible to be around. Manny Ramirez and Albert Belle are two that come to mind. But Segura, for all the ground balls to shortstop, acknowledges that he's not playing well. All I want to see from him is a willingness to change his approach at the plate.

I don't need him to produce like he did in the first half last year. He's playing great defense, so there is that. But he needs to change his approach at the plate. Maybe he should try to hit to the opposite field more. Because right now, it seems every ball is a grounder to short or third base.

This team, regardless of Braun being out or not, should have won this series. They're at home, the Phillies had been on a long losing streak, and we were one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the league coming into the series. I don't know quite what's wrong with this team, but I do think putting Segura in the #2 spot, and giving Lucroy the day off when we've already lost the first two games of four...is not wise.

It's possible that if we lose this series, and play like this in the Cardinal series, we could be out of first place when the All Star break hits.

They have to turn it around right now. And I believe they will. Let's all send positive thoughts to Milwaukee, guys. Believe in this team.

Lose the series? There is a good chance we're gonna get swept. :tongue Until this bunch learns not to swing at crap out of the strike zone we will be out of first place by Monday. They have not shown any plate discipline all year and it finally catching up with them. Outside of Peralta yesterday the pitching hasn't been the problem in this crisis. :(

There is no excuse, NONE, to even consider Segura hitting 2nd. I'm not blaming Jean for the loss, obviously, they all had a hand in defeat, but for our MGR to even consider Segura that high in the order is asinine at best. Segura should be hitting 8th, hell, even 9th, but should not be hitting 2nd.....RRR can sometimes wear blinders that cloud his thought process. Just makes no sense.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Postgame.....TH "Was Hernandez that good....I mean he only had 80 pitches through 8 innings?"

RR "Well the patient teams can wait him out, get some walks and drive his pitch count up....but that's not us"

So basically the manager and hitting coach can have no impact on getting hitters to improve their approach at the plate.......good to know....

Postgame.....TH "Was Hernandez that good....I mean he only had 80 pitches through 8 innings?"

RR "Well the patient teams can wait him out, get some walks and drive his pitch count up....but that's not us"

So basically the manager and hitting coach can have no impact on getting hitters to improve their approach at the plate.......good to know....

I have a problem believing RR and the coaches don't see what is going on and are just letting it slide. One would think/hope the coaches are telling their players to be more selective but it is apparent nobody is listening. :( What more can they do - besides remove Jean from the #2 spot?

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

dont worry, ive documented it in my signature so we never forget

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

dont worry, ive documented it in my signature so we never forget

While I haven't gone quite as far as putting one of his quotes in my signature, I have bookmarked this comment:

I'm not worried at all. You are correct DM will be thinking WS at the trade deadline. Look for huge upgrades.

Citation clicky

If he's thinking World Series, he better hurry the heck up and make those "huge upgrades" now, or we'll be switching from buyers to sellers.

Archived