Brewer Fanatic

Trading Maldonado

Is it possible that his peak value is right now? He's still young enough to catch for several years and he may be one of the best defensive catchers in the game. I think he needs to have a shot at starting. He may never hit well enough but we'll never know if he's blocked by Luc. Trade him and bring up Zarraga to be our backup catcher and backup at 1B. I don't care if he doesn't have a lot of power, he hits and seems to have made huge strides behind the dish as well.

The Brewers have a decision to make with Maldy; play him at C and move Luc to 1B(which he probably won't hit for enough power), let him rot behind Luc on the bench, or trade him and acquire maybe another piece to this team that can help it win now.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I wonder what you could hope to get for him? Best case scenario would seem to be a different kind of valuable bench type. Which could be handy, but given the dangers of catching why wouldn't you want to hold onto 2 catchers with potential who are cheap and with options.

I think this trade idea is better suited for the offseason. He gets a decent number of PAs, and he's our insurance against a Lucroy injury, so right now Maldonado is more important to this team in his current role than he would get in trade. This offseason, when teams are gearing up for a new season, he could probably bring back a decent player from a team looking for a catcher.

By waiting for the offseason, we remain protected for this season, and we give Zarraga another half season to prove he's not "smoke and mirrors." I like prospects, but I'm always wary of those who come from nowhere and have a big season.

I hope Zarraga becomes a productive major leaguer, and trading away Maldonado this offseason is something to consider, but there's too much to lose by trading away our good backup catcher right now and pinning that responsibility on Zarraga.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yeah, I think he's worth a lot more to the Brewers as a back-up catcher than he would fetch in a trade - so I think you hold onto him.

Maldonado is very expendable and replaceable. His playing time is starting to resemble that of Mike Rivera's when he backed up Kendall. If there is a team out there that's interested, they'll get something, but probably not much.

I guess I was more so thinking Maldonado could be a piece that sweetens the pot in a trade that could help them get let's say, Moroneu, Loney, Zobrist etc...
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yeah, I think he's worth a lot more to the Brewers as a back-up catcher than he would fetch in a trade - so I think you hold onto him.

Maldonado is very expendable and replaceable. His playing time is starting to resemble that of Mike Rivera's when he backed up Kendall. If there is a team out there that's interested, they'll get something, but probably not much.

And then when Lucroy finally is out for a couple weeks because he is like a magnet behind home plate we're looking to trade for an elite defensive catcher who can hit enough to play catcher.

I've actually wanted the Brewers to see if Lucroy can play 3rd base or even 1st base and move him there in 2-3 years. He's too good of a hitter to have his career cut short by 4-5 years(or his production vastly reduced) by taking a beating behind the plate.

As for if he can hit enough to play 1st base, I'm not a particular fan of this logic. If he can hit .300/.355/.425, that's just fine for me at 1st base. I don't care that isn't the exact type of bat you're looking for at 1st.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Lucroy's OPS for the last three seasons: .881, .795, .908

I think that bat would play anywhere.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Lucroy's OPS for the last three seasons: .881, .795, .908

I think that bat would play anywhere.

Well...I do as well, but I think there are a lot of people who get caught up a bit too much into his lack of power for 1B.

I've liked Lucroy, but to me, he looks like a poor mans Molitor. A guy who could be a .300 hitter for several-several years. I'm just afraid that if he stays at catcher too long, it's really going to take it's toll on him. He's got good hands, a good arm. I'd really like to see them try him at 3rd base next spring training here and there and maybe think about the move the year or two after that.

Maldy is a bit limited, but I do believe he could be an above average starting catcher, and Zarraga could be a nice backup. But...again, the Brewers are seldom proactive, so I doubt they do any more than give Luc the occasional starts at 1st base to keep his bat in the lineup.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Keeping Lucroy beyond 2016 is going to be very difficult anyway. I think they'd like his heir to be Coulter. Maybe a Maldonado/Zarraga combo can be a bridge to that if needed. Maldonado sitting behind Lucroy for two more seasons won't help his development. He'll have a hard time shedding that backup label by that time.

Anyone know if Zarraga hits better LH or RH?

Easy enough to look up yourself, here's 2014, there are links to all of the other years at the top of the page.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Easy enough to look up yourself, here's 2014, there are links to all of the other years at the top of the page.

Oh thanks, I was on this page before but couldn't figure out splits. 2014 is pretty even but the previous seasons he looks better as a LH hitter. Which is good, if he were to backup Luc or Maldonado it's nice to spell them with a better hitter vs. RHP

Keeping Lucroy beyond 2016 is going to be very difficult anyway. I think they'd like his heir to be Coulter. Maybe a Maldonado/Zarraga combo can be a bridge to that if needed. Maldonado sitting behind Lucroy for two more seasons won't help his development. He'll have a hard time shedding that backup label by that time.

There is a $5.25MM club option for 2017 in Lucroy's contract, and you have to believe that barring injury they will pick that option up.

Cots has Maldonado getting four arby years starting next year, with the fourth being in 2018, so (again barring injury) if the Brewers held both catchers to free agency, Maldonado would be here one year beyond Lucroy.

You do have a valid point though. Lucroy just turned 28, so he'll be 31 when he is eligible to file for free agency. If the Brewers plan on keeping him forever, than H&T's suggestion of moving him from catcher makes sense. If they don't plan on signing him beyond his current contract, then they should just leave him at catcher and let the next guys worry about the physical abuse his body has endured.

To topic, since Maldonado is starting arby next year, and Zarraga is showing himself worthy of a backup job, I think the Brewers should test the market to see what they could get for Maldonado. Four years of a good defensive catcher who has been able to hit at the MLB level should bring something back, allowing Zarraga to step in at league-minimum as the backup. Makes sense this offseason, but again I wouldn't do it right now.

~Bill Walsh

Archived