Brewer Fanatic

2014-07-07 Phillies (Hamels) at Brewers (Estrada), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-2]

Classic little dink shot, a harmless roller off the potent bat of Jean Segura to end the game.

Hey, no problem. Nine game losing streak? Come to Milwaukee. We'll roll out the red carpet for ya, and get you back in the win column.

Our lead in the central is slip slipping away.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The pitching was really good. The offense, however, was a dumpster fire.

Really getting fed up with Sir Hacks A Lot Gomez lately. Take a pitch once in a while.

GoGo can't hit the 10-run homerun if he doesn't swing with all his might. And he if he doesn't swing at every pitch.

It's. Not. Easy.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-truth-about-bunting/

The breakdown:

Overall: 49.7% fair bunts

Pitchers: 49.9%

Non-Pitchers: 49.6%

The sample for pitchers is about 10,000. The sample for non-pitchers is about 26,000. There’s basically no difference. About half the time they’ve committed to a bunt, they’ve bunted the ball in play. That means that, half the time, they’ve messed up.

I decided to look at individual players, and compare guys who bunt often against guys who bunt infrequently. I set the following thresholds:

Frequent bunters: bunt attempts on 2.5% or more of all pitches

Infrequent bunters: bunt attempts on 0.5% or less of all pitches

The frequent bunters bunted the ball fair 49.5% of the time. The infrequent bunters bunted the ball fair 46.1% of the time. I should note before I forget that I excluded pitchers from this. There’s a clear advantage to bunting more often, in terms of bunt success, but it’s also pretty small, and even the upper-tier bunters, as a group, bunt poorly a lot.

Luckily you get 3 strikes, you are quoting stats on single pitches. If players can get bunts down 50% of the time, then given 3 tries it is like saying what are chances of flipping at least one head in 3 tries? ...7/8

The pitching was really good. The offense, however, was a dumpster fire.

the relief pitching was good.......

when does the manager take some accountability for how bad this team is playing fundamentally?

They can't get it done because of stupid baserunning and bad approaches at the plate...they have now scored 16 runs in the last 7 games.

That's all well and good, but does anyone - right now - expect Gomez to shorten up and just hit a ball into the outfield?

No, but that is why I am frustrated, everything in baseball is always the same. Same approach at the plate, no matter the score, inning, count baserunners etc. Same bullpen use, Smith 8th, KRod 9th, no matter the score, inning, count baserunners, next hitters etc. There is no situational baseball at all.

Nail on the head here!

If you were to turn on a Brewer game with nobody talking in the broadcast booth, and you were unable to see the score, you couldn't tell if we were behind or in the lead just by watching us at the plate.

I want to believe in this team, guys. I really really do. It's just that I've been watching baseball for 34 years now, ever since I was 8 or 9 years old, and I see too many things that this team just does not do well to think we have any kind of a chance at getting to and winning the World Series.

We're good at beating really bad teams (tonight notwithstanding), but we can't beat the good teams out there, and we can't consistently beat the good teams in our own division. No, I do not consider Pittsburgh a good team. They've finished above .500 once in the last century.

This team cannot bunt...at all.

This team cannot execute a hit and run successfully.

This team makes too many mistakes running bases.

And our manager is bad at managing games. He's especially bad at managing the bullpen. As was mentioned, he has his 7th inning guy, his 8th inning guy, and his closer. And he never mixes that up. It doesn't matter if Kintzler has given up a game winning home run to the other team three nights in a row. You can predict when he'll be up again, and you can pretty much predict what will happen.

This team is watching its lead slip away, and we're getting nothing but the status quo from our manager and our GM. No moves are being made to make this team better. Even dumping Wang and bringing another pitcher up that could help this team right now would be a huge improvement. But nope. Because hey, left handed pitchers don't grow on trees, and some day down the road, he might, maybe, possibly could help us, and gosh darn it, it doesn't matter if we're in the heat of a pennant race right now with us in first place. We're going to hang on to this guy in the hopes that he may help us down the road.

I come to this board every night in a good mood, happy, feeling positive, and after watching the Brewers for twenty minutes, I just feel like turning off the tv.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Ron Roenicke coming up next. This oughta be good.

How can I watch (or listen) to this interview online?

I am watching on the FSW post game show.

I'm in Texas on MLB.tv, so I can't get that. I was looking for a radio station online I could stream the post game stuff.

RR, "We're in a little spell but we will turn it around" "We're not playing terrible we are not playing that bad."

Yup, we were 19 games over .500 a week ago, and now we're 14 games over.

Oh, and look. St. Louis won. Lead is down to 4 games.

I am watching on the FSW post game show.

I'm in Texas on MLB.tv, so I can't get that. I was looking for a radio station online I could stream the post game stuff.

WSSP postgame has the big clips of RRRs postgame during their show. Www.sportsradio1250.com

Formerly AirShuttle6104

All I can say is wow after listening to that press conference......

"Baserunning mistakes are part of the game....you don't like it but it happens"

Now that is leadership!

We don't know what RR says behind closed doors. He may the type of manager who will not throw his guys under the bus in public. The pitching isn't the problem even with Estrada giving up homers at every outing. What is killing this team is our all stars are not hitting and when we do get a couple of hits we screw up on the bases. :( It almost looks like some of them are trying too hard. The harder they try the worse it gets. Let's see how they perform tomorrow.

WSSP postgame has the big clips of RRRs postgame during their show. http://Www.sportsradio1250.com

Thank you.

Archived