Brewer Fanatic

2014-07-07 Phillies (Hamels) at Brewers (Estrada), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-2]

I want that kid yelling 'lets go Brewers' to shut up.

I want him to follow Gomez around all day and even we he sleeps, sit next to his bed and keep repeating it. Gomez deserves to be as annoyed as I am with his play as of late.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stop calling it a baserunning mistake (which it was) but that is on Lucroy for a horrible roll over groundout

Schafer didn't have to go.

Does everyone realize if Schafer stays the inning just goes 2B, 6-3, K, 6-3 and no run. Schafer's baserunning had nothing to do with not scoring there.

The problem is that

1) Lucroy should not be trying for a hit and should have bunted or grounded to the right side.

2) Then Gomez should not have tried for a hit and just lofted the ball into the OF or squeezed.

Both players should have choked up and not taken full swings, just slapped at the ball. They would rather retire than do this.

Since Gomez has started hitting some home runs, it seems like every time up there, he's trying to hit a home run. He's swinging for the seats every time.

Our hitters need to be taken to a little league game on their off day. Maybe if they see some baseball fundamentals, it will rub off on them.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Stop calling it a baserunning mistake (which it was) but that is on Lucroy for a horrible roll over groundout

Does everyone realize if Schafer stays the inning just goes 2B, 6-3, K, 6-3 and no run. Schafer's baserunning had nothing to do with not scoring there.

The problem is that

1) Lucroy should not be trying for a hit and should have bunted or grounded to the right side.

2) Then Gomez should not have tried for a hit and just lofted the ball into the OF or squeezed.

Both players should have choked up and not taken full swings, just slapped at the ball. They would rather retire than do this.

That doesn't mean it wasn't a base running mistake.

The problem is that

It's rather difficult to hit a 95 MPH fastball exactly how you want to.

If it was that easy, guys would hit a bit better than they do.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

We have had 3 innings today with a runner on 2nd with 0 outs and scored 0 runs in those innings

That's just awful. Again, fundamental hitting. We don't have any.

LOL, now I'm picking up the kid yelling "let's go Brewers". Now it's getting on my nerves, too.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

The problem is that

That's all well and good, but does anyone - right now - expect Gomez to shorten up and just hit a ball into the outfield?

Had Schafer held still, he still could have gotten to 3rd after the SS throws the ball to 1st - assuming the SS makes a good throw to 1st and gets Lucroy out.

Great, let's get the guy in scoring position. Nice throw. /face palm

The problem is that

You don't need to hit it exactly where you want to, you need to hit the ball within 50% of all valid directions. Its really just an extension of bunting, according to you it would be rather difficult to bunt a 95 MPH fastball, but its not and even pitchers can do it.

It is that easy but guys would hit worse because you sacrifice power for the control, guys would hit many more weak balls and slugging would be non existent

Reynolds needs to go too. He's been flat out terrible at the plate.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The problem is that

You don't need to hit it exactly where you want to, you need to hit the ball within 50% of all valid directions. Its really just an extension of bunting, according to you it would be rather difficult to bunt a 95 MPH fastball, but its not and even pitchers can do it.

It is that easy but guys would hit worse because you sacrifice power for the control, guys would hit many more weak balls and slugging would be non existent

It's. Not. Easy.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-truth-about-bunting/

The breakdown:

Overall: 49.7% fair bunts

Pitchers: 49.9%

Non-Pitchers: 49.6%

The sample for pitchers is about 10,000. The sample for non-pitchers is about 26,000. There’s basically no difference. About half the time they’ve committed to a bunt, they’ve bunted the ball in play. That means that, half the time, they’ve messed up.

I decided to look at individual players, and compare guys who bunt often against guys who bunt infrequently. I set the following thresholds:

Frequent bunters: bunt attempts on 2.5% or more of all pitches

Infrequent bunters: bunt attempts on 0.5% or less of all pitches

The frequent bunters bunted the ball fair 49.5% of the time. The infrequent bunters bunted the ball fair 46.1% of the time. I should note before I forget that I excluded pitchers from this. There’s a clear advantage to bunting more often, in terms of bunt success, but it’s also pretty small, and even the upper-tier bunters, as a group, bunt poorly a lot.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Another elementary school mistake.... hard groundball hit to short you never break for third. Common sense. We don't deserve to be in first

We have more wins than everyone else in the division. So yes, by definition we deserve to be in first.

That's all well and good, but does anyone - right now - expect Gomez to shorten up and just hit a ball into the outfield?

No, but that is why I am frustrated, everything in baseball is always the same. Same approach at the plate, no matter the score, inning, count baserunners etc. Same bullpen use, Smith 8th, KRod 9th, no matter the score, inning, count baserunners, next hitters etc. There is no situational baseball at all.

Completely shocked that Reynolds struck out....not really.

Stay hot crew.

Keep swinging at crap

Keep swinging as hard as you can

Keep running into outs

Keep doing these things and see where ya end up at the end of the year.

Archived