Brewer Fanatic

Matt Clark

I admit I never heard of this guy until the Brewers signed him and he went to Nashville. However, looking at his career he consistently has OPS between 850-900 against righties and 750-800 against lefties but has never been called up to the majors. Anybody see him play or know why he has never been given an opportunity?

not sure, he was with the Padres system thru 2012, played in Japan in 2013 and came back to the Mets this year... who have Lucas Duda at 1B with a logjam of AAA/AA guys behind him

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

It was funny, I was just going to make a post that said Matt Clark - what is his story?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=clark-002mat&mobile=false

The bad news is unless the Brewers want to cut ties with Overbay, I just don't see how he fits in. Or, if you send Schafer down than you could keep three 1B as Clark has played both corner OF spots. (But if Gomez needs to sit then Braun would be our CF)

I am pretty dumbfounded how a career .283 / .361 / .494 / .855 hasn't sniffed 1 AB in the big leagues. Whose dog did he kick? And this is spread out over 6 seasons with 1,070 AAA plate appearances. His career AAA line is .291 / .365 / .500 / .865.

So minor league experts - what gives?

I admit I never heard of this guy until the Brewers signed him and he went to Nashville. However, looking at his career he consistently has OPS between 850-900 against righties and 750-800 against lefties but has never been called up to the majors. Anybody see him play or know why he has never been given an opportunity?

What kind of hitters park is Tuscon where he has played in 2011, 2012? Maybe it is a launching pad and teams are discounting the performance? Looking at his Japanese team, his OPS was only the 5th best on the team.

The SW inflates hitting #s which is why the Brewers were so intent on getting out of High Desert all those years ago.

Cole Gillespie also doesn't have an OPS below .800 in any AAA season except for the part of one he spent in Nashville...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

What kind of hitters park is Tuscon where he has played in 2011, 2012? Maybe it is a launching pad and teams are discounting the performance? Looking at his Japanese team, his OPS was only the 5th best on the team.

Good call Roderick .... Here are his splits in 11 and 12

Home: 213 AB /.329 / .382 / .554 / .936

Away: 249 AB /.261 / .347 / .450 / .797

Home: 223 AB / .332 / .393 / .596 / .989

Away: 222 AB / .248 / .341 / .414 / .755

Considering that the pitching staffs at Tucson those years had ERA's over 5, yeah it's a hitters park and the West division of the PCL, with Reno and Las Vegas is a real hitters league. Rizzo had a 1.056 OPS there in 2011.

Archived