Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2014 - 2015 (part 1)

homer
The talk of an extension is premature. First he has to opt out, cause that's how he'll get more money than just signing an extension. If the NBA senses an agreement like that, they could forseeably block the trade of Love to Cleveland. Not sure how they prove that, but I've heard that bandied about.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This probably will turn out to be a win win. Cleveland has Lebron, Love, and Irving for the foreseeable future and should be good for a very long time. They didn't necessarily need Wiggins to win a title. Minnesota obviously got two very high upside players for 1 season of Love. Both sides should be happy.

I agree that its a win win, but the Cavs by no means have those three for the foreseeable future and there is no guarantee that they will be good for a very long time. The James deal is only two years so he could easily leave two again not too far down the road. Not to mention that Love doesnt have to stay around for more than a season.

Well there is no guarantee that they ever play together, but if the trade does end up going through, I think most would assume they're going to be together and be together for a long time(at least 5-6 years).

Hell, there is no guarantee that the professional sports team in Cleveland he plays for next year isn't the Browns rather than the Cavs. You want a guarantee, put your hand on a hot burner. But some things are pretty likely.....

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I hear what you guys are saying. All I'm trying to say is that I think it would be wise for Cavs fans to not count their chickens before they're hatched. While those explanations for Love and James sticking around all sound reasonable, a lot can change in the next 1-2 years. Who would've thought 4 1/2 years ago that James would leave Cleveland for Miami the way he did and then come back? I can't say I followed the drama all that closely, but I was maybe a little surprised when he left Cleveland, but when he did I didn't think there was any way in heck he'd ever be back in a Cavs uniform.

• 2 weeks later...
Seems like a good deal. From a 2014 talent perspective I think we improved plus we had a 2017 first rounder. It is lottery protected but I don't think the Clippers will be anywhere near the lottery for the foreseeable future anyways. Even it is a pick in the 20's it is better than paying Delfino for nothing and a C at the end of the bench.

Seems to me like its a prelude to another deal...what use is he to us? Maybe Phoenix wants him back again?

~4M for a future first round pick. It's not the player, it is the future asset.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

They traded an injured player and their 4th string center plus a useless 2nd round pick for a guy who can actually play some minutes and a future pick near the bottom of the first round.

Certainly not earth shattering but clears some dead wood and adds another player with experience to the rotation. The pick they got could have future trade value as well.

in the last incarnation of this thread, a few people had mentioned that if Milwaukee isn't going to be spending money by drawing free agents, that we should be using that extra money to be alleviating luxury tax penalties for other teams for a profit. It's nice to see this starting to happen.

This trade will feel like leaving a $10 bill in the pocket of your winter coat before it gets stored. We'll completely forget that we have the pick and then it'll be a nice bonus when the time comes around.

Seems to me like its a prelude to another deal...what use is he to us? Maybe Phoenix wants him back again?

He's more useful than the combo of Delfino who can't play because he's hurt, and Raduljca who wasn't good enough to earn minutes on a 15 win team.

They might be pointing to 2-3 years from now, but they still have to put a team on the floor this season, and they can't play all rookies. They'll still be in the lottery next spring, but I don't think the ticket buying public will buy another 15 win effort.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

They'll still be in the lottery next spring, but I don't think the ticket buying public will buy another 15 win effort.

If it was still Herb Kohl the owner, I'd agree. But with some young players to watch develop and new leadership (owners and coaches), I think they'll get some leeway as they tear-down and build back up.

They might need some minor league tactics to fill the seats, but I think people will be lenient this year on the actual on-the-court product.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't live in the Milwaukee area so I dont get much Bucks news, but has their been any new talk about a new arena?

Basically no, but the son of Jane Pettit, a prominent architect came out and supported tearing down the BC, Milwaukee Arena, and the boondoggle theater. He took a couple shots at Gimbell as well.

Other than that, there hasn't been a formal plan or site picked or anything, but it looks like it'll be downtown west of the river.

NBA off season is the shortest in American professional sports I think.

NHL is. They end around the same time as the NBA but they started their preseason games already and start the regular season about 3 weeks earlier.

Basically no, but the son of Jane Pettit, a prominent architect came out and supported tearing down the BC, Milwaukee Arena, and the boondoggle theater. He took a couple shots at Gimbell as well.

There has been talk about it but there haven't been any ideas. I have a feeling that a lot will happen after the elections. Nobody wants to come out and officially support taxpayer money going towards the new arena. As coolcool mentioned there have been talks about possible sites but that's about it.

On a side note, I don't really follow the Bucks, although ironically enough I watched them more than ever before last year because I was rooting for them to lose so they could get Parker or Wiggins. I think I'll watch a little more this year to follow Parker. Anywho.....this is turning into politics as usual. People are taking stances based not on what's best for the city and the taxpayers but what's best for themselves. That idiot mayor insists it be as close to Wisconsin Ave as possible despite the fact that there is hardly any room for development. He just can't figure out how else to get people to Wisconsin Ave. So he thinks if we plop an arena there people will have to show up and Wisconsin Ave will miraculously turn into some hot spot. The only way it will even begin to be beneficial there is it the entire Grand Ave is torn down to make room for new development. But even so freeway access in that location isn't nearly as convenient as it is the BC's is now, where a quick turn onto McKinley Ave takes you to I43 north and south two blocks away.

Then of course the Marcus dude that owns all of Milwaukee's major hotels will try to throw his weight around too because he'll get to connect his Hilton to the new arena. He'll no doubt want it right next to his hotel on Wisconsin Ave and I'm sure will use his money and political connections as best he can. I realize he's not an elected official but it just bugs me for some reason.

And who could forget Gimbel. The guy who refuses accept that the US Cellular arena is completely out of date and unnecessary. For pete's sake its main tenants are a mid-major college basketball team and an indoor soccer team whose league just folded. Your talking average attendances of about 2,500 and 5,000 respectively. And don't get me wrong. I have no problem with either of those programs and wish them the best of luck. But making sure their arena stays should absolutely not be an issue in deciding where to put a brand new $500 million arena for the Bucks. Then there is the Milwaukee Theater. I don't go there.....well....ever, but from what I understanding it's essentially an underperforming venue that takes business away from the plethora of other theaters nearby and it should never have been built. And by the way both of these buildings are kept up with tax money. So why doesn't Gimbel want to tear them down? Well right now he's in charge of three buildings. If they tear them down he'll be in charge of one building. I think it's obvious. Meanwhile, if you tear down those two buildings you can either a) take the tax money that was going to them and instead send it to the convention center which needs to be expanded or b) lower the taxes since you now only have the one building to support.

I just wish our elected officials would actually look out for the taxpayers when they are coming to us with since an enormous request. Like I said, I support the new arena and think it would be foolish to let it go when $200 million, plus whatever you can get for naming rights, is already committed to it. But we need to get it right. We got Miller Park right (though some people like me think it should have been built downtown) and we need to do the same here. No selfish personal actions screwing this up.

From everything I have read they at least want a site picked out by the end of the year. There is virtually no chance anything related to money comes out before the November elections. I would guess both Walker and Burke would publically oppose spending public money on this just so they don't piss off the voters. I still believe any amount of public money is going to be an uphill battle.

I am not from Milwaukee so I don't really know any better in regards to which site might be better over the other. The biggest things for me would be ease of access of the freeway and the availability of parking. Having some nice restaurants around the facility would also be a big plus.

Yea, I've been worried from the beginning that the power brokers in Milwaukee would find a way to screw this up. This is going to take way longer than it should, and the project could end up not being as nice as it could be. (Arena itself, along with surrounding area.) I still don't rule out the possibility this never gets done and they move to Seattle. Probably about 5% chance, but still a chance.

Yea, I've been worried from the beginning that the power brokers in Milwaukee would find a way to screw this up. This is going to take way longer than it should, and the project could end up not being as nice as it could be. (Arena itself, along with surrounding area.) I still don't rule out the possibility this never gets done and they move to Seattle. Probably about 5% chance, but still a chance.

Everything the new owners have said has been spot on. They know what to do, they know how to play politics. It all starts with getting Gimble out.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I've got a question that I'm serious with, even though the topic is somewhat controversial.

Growing up in a suburb, I followed the Bucks but probably only went to 2 or 3 games. Most people I knew never went to games, but followed them on TV as well. One factor for me was the price of tickets. We know from studies that Milwaukee ranks among the most racially segregated cities in the US. We know from other studies that Milwaukee minorities are doing nowhere near as well as whites. So how is it that the Bucks games seem overwhelmingly full of minorities?? And what does this mean for their revenues? Probably not at all accurate, but I always assumed this was because players often donated large amounts of tickets to local charities.

Given a new arena, what would be a likely decent capacity? Are there other examples of a city where the local college team draws better than the NBA franchise in the same arena?

Archived